Advice with regards to my New York Trip

lxmike

M2 fan.
Local time
3:52 AM
So i have finally booked my trip to New York, its my first long haul flight, first time to America, l shall take my Fuji XE-1 with 18/2 and my Voigtlander Bessa, with a 15/4.5 and 50/1.5. Trip wise l am staying in a hotel at Times Square and shall be there four five days. Obviously there is more to see than five days would allow, my plan is to book a New York greeter, plus order a city pass for the main attractions too, does anyone have any advice or local knowledge they could offer me, thanks in advance for any help.

Photographically speaking, there is a ton to see, and many people will chime in, but my suggestion is going uptown to St.John the Divine Cathedral and the Columbia campus near 116th between Broadway and Amsterdam. It's a good walking area and probably a less frequented area of NY for tourism. I went to school there and used to love hanging out by the church on a sunny day. It's probably not at the top of most people's lists, but it's one of my favorites.

Also, if you like big American style cheeseburgers, I love this place:

Paul's Da Burger Joint
131 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003

Buy a metrocard and put $30+ on it. Go into the station at 42nd 1st and pick any train, going anywhere. See a couple of the other boroughs, ride the Staten island ferry (for free) and get a good look at the statue of liberty.
Phil Forrest

Learn to follow three conversations at the same time.
Read the menu board and be prepared before ordering.
Go to the top of the Empire State Building, especially if it's hot and muggy.
See a Broadway show.
Most of all, have a great time.

Take the subway all the way to Coney Island park.

I enjoy walking from 4th all the way up to Central Park South (50 blocks) starting from Washington Square passing through Union Square, MSG, Times Square, Bryant Park/NYPL, and Rockefeller. Afternoon light is perfect. Touristy but if people shots are your thing then give it a go.

I love NYC.

As a Brit it is all about walking and the Subway, forget taxis. Carry as little as possible and try to relax (which isn't that easy it is too much fun).

Another tip for someone who was brought up with the London tube...it seems like the Subway trains do not always stop at the next station. Check the destination boards.

Photographically speaking, there is a ton to see, and many people will chime in, but my suggestion is going uptown to St.John the Divine Cathedral and the Columbia campus near 116th between Broadway and Amsterdam. It's a good walking area and probably a less frequented area of NY for tourism. I went to school there and used to love hanging out by the church on a sunny day. It's probably not at the top of most people's lists, but it's one of my favorites.

Also, if you like big American style cheeseburgers, I love this place:

Paul's Da Burger Joint
131 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003

thanks for the advice especially regarding the burger:cool:

Buy a metrocard and put $30+ on it. Go into the station at 42nd 1st and pick any train, going anywhere. See a couple of the other boroughs, ride the Staten island ferry (for free) and get a good look at the statue of liberty.
Phil Forrest

the card idea sounds cool, is 42nd street near Time Square

Learn to follow three conversations at the same time.
Read the menu board and be prepared before ordering.
Go to the top of the Empire State Building, especially if it's hot and muggy.
See a Broadway show.
Most of all, have a great time.

I must admit l am a bit in awe of travelling to and being in new York, this is a trip of a lifetime for me and its a bit scary

Take the subway all the way to Coney Island park.

I enjoy walking from 4th all the way up to Central Park South (50 blocks) starting from Washington Square passing through Union Square, MSG, Times Square, Bryant Park/NYPL, and Rockefeller. Afternoon light is perfect. Touristy but if people shots are your thing then give it a go.

I love NYC.

i think l am going to have to get myself a Map f new York

As a Brit it is all about walking and the Subway, forget taxis. Carry as little as possible and try to relax (which isn't that easy it is too much fun).

Another tip for someone who was brought up with the London tube...it seems like the Subway trains do not always stop at the next station. Check the destination boards.

I come from Newcastle, and find London busy and big, l think l am infor a shock in New York:eek:

as a resident newyorker, here are some tips:

if you're here over a weekend, you must have a subway/train app that helps you get to places, as ALL trains run on insane schedules that are not on any map, a C train will run on the F line, as the F train for part of the line...even for us locals it's confusing and stressful. Google Maps has gotten good but I really use City Mapper.

going to Staten Island on the ferry is great advice. not far from st George terminal is a small Sri Lankan community with food that will blow your mind. and it's not touristy at all. you could also see a Staten Island Yankees (minor league) baseball game too, if you like that. Tickets are maybe $10 and so much fun and a great view of the city.

In Manhattan, Gramercy and the West Village are fantastic for walks and Chinatown...can be intense but so great.

But Brooklyn is where to go, Prospect Park and Fort Greene. Neighborhood bars and family parks, indy book shops and much quieter than Mahttn. you're here when many photo schools are having graduation exhibitions too, parsons, sva and Pratt will all have shows up with a real range (bad, very bad and really good) of work to see.

I want to stress a phone/map gps. do not rely on any printed maps for the subway. they are a mess these days and will be worse Saturday and Sunday.

and good walking shoes, and sunglass and a hat, I got sunburned on Tuesday, first of the year!

Photographically, I recommend hanging out in Central Park on a weekend day, a visit to the Bathesda Fountain and the Mall, and the Sheep Meadow. All of humanity will be trying to get a bit of sun. If rainy: the Metropolitan Museum, the American Museum of Natural History, the Cloisters, the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim, and the Frick. If free stuff is your thing: the Staten Island Ferry, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, the High Line, and prowling the streets. Food: best pastrami sandwich: Katz's Delicatessen on Houston Street (pronounced: House-ton) (they have pretty good hot dogs too), espresso in Little Italy and noodles and/or Pho in Chinatown. Bring good walking shoes. Like London, New York is s city best seen on foot, I think.

The Highline is free.

Another thing I tell everyone to do:
Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge from the Brooklyn side toward Manhattan at night.

Chinatown in Manhattan is a shadow of its former self but the two other Chinatowns, one in Flushing, Queens and one in Sunset Park, Brooklyn are both thriving. There’s also a tiny Koreatown in midtown Manhattan on 32nd St.

+1 on Coney Island and the Staten Island ferry.
The Circle Line is an excellent boat tour around Manhattan. It’s my favorite touristy thing to do in my home town!

You’re right about a week not being enough!

Back