All Hail the Nikon FE (not FE2)

My brother gave me his old FE2 and some lenses when I gave him my old D80. I traded it in on something I wanted since it was a chrome film camera. I would have kept it if it were a black body since it was mint. I'd really like a black body FM2. I had a chrome body FM2 that I bought for the lens that came with it. Traded that camera in too. In hindsight I should have kept it, even though it was a chrome body.

Went to drop off 2 rolls of film to have them developed at the local camera shop/lab and they had several new Used toys in.

The Spotmatic and 3 lenses was tempting.
The SRT and a pile of lenses was also.

Then there was a mint - and I mean MINT - Nikkormat FT3 with lens. Single owner who had kept it spotless. Beautiful.

But even more tempting was the Nikon FG. Not quite the FE as talked about in this thread but fascinating in its own right, especially how they managed to do a full auto-exposure P mode on it. Was priced reasonably but I still had fuel and groceries to get, alas. If it's there in a month my wallet might be in trouble :cool:

If it HAD been an FE, I'd probably be on a Ramen & peanut butter diet for the rest of the month :ROFLMAO:

Controls on my Nikon FE2 didn't seem to operate as precisely or smoothly as my FE bodies.
IMO construction of the FE2 felt somehow cheaper.

This may have been sample variation, just my impression, or was it in fact cheaper?

Chris
I agree, the FE build was in line with the Nikkormats, FMs, and F series. FM2/FE2 and onward felt cheaper.

Their faster shutter speeds make them a more capable camera in today's world, IMO. I would take an FM2 over an FE2 just for the lack of electronics to go bad in it.

There are far fewer >400 ISO high speed films sold today than when FM2/FE2 were in production.
Older models with top shutter speed of 1/1000 are more than adequate for today's films.

Chris

Back