All the cameras I own are OLD - even the digital ones!

I agree with your response. For me, the Sigma DP2 Merrill was born in heaven...

I agree with your response. For me, the Sigma DP2 Merrill was born in heaven...

I wish I could bond with the DP2M I bought some years ago. I can't get the colours the way I like, skin tones seem really off somehow. Either they are too brown, too pink/red, or something else weird happens. The pixel level detail is crazy, it's like a Leica M, but it blow highlights, operates even slower than the original DP1 and DP2, and it kills batteries in about 60-70 images.

I agree with everything you say, but there is no greater satisfaction after you learn to master the Merrill.:love:
The Sigma Merrill DP2 camera has been with me since it was released. And it manages to surprise with the photos I get from it, even compared to the Leica M11 camera that I use on a daily basis. And that's enough for me to be a great proof, how unique the Merrill is in the world of digital photography.

I agree with everything you say, but there is no greater satisfaction after you learn to master the Merrill.:love:
The Sigma Merrill DP2 camera has been with me since it was released. And it manages to surprise with the photos I get from it, even compared to the Leica M11 camera that I use on a daily basis. And that's enough for me to be a great proof, how unique the Merrill is in the world of digital photography.
Okay, I'm going to have another crack at the DP2M. It bugged the heck out of me before, but if I can wrangle at least 60% acceptable images from it, I'll consider that win. Fortunately, I have many batteries from owning two Ricoh GR cameras and the two supplied with the Merrill, so at least I can get through a day.

O
My first new used D700 only had a little over 200 clicks on it and it looked showroom fresh. I fell in love with the D700 because of that camera and I became paranoid about not having it. So I started buying all those I found at low affordable prices that were in good shape. I ended up with four of them. Then I did the same thing with the D3. The fact that both these models were selling for peanuts had a lot to do with my decision to buy multiples. It's now harder to find low mileage models in really great condition. It will only get even harder as time goes by.

I feel a bit that way about the S1r. I picked up one with 1,000 clicks and it’s been brilliant, so have just picked up a second with under 100 clicks. They’re built like a tank and do pretty much all I want from a digital camera, plus they are much less expensive than the more popular models (I hesitate to say are undervalued in case there are any hard core efficient market hypothecists around!). I mostly use manual focus lenses and the end is far ahead of dslr screens for this. It’s practically discontinued now and presumably there will be a new one eventually - after the Leica Sl3? But there isn’t much they could add to make it better for me - beyond playing nicer with wide M glass and 16 shot high res in body.

O

I feel a bit that way about the S1r. I picked up one with 1,000 clicks and it’s been brilliant, so have just picked up a second with under 100 clicks. They’re built like a tank and do pretty much all I want from a digital camera, plus they are much less expensive than the more popular models (I hesitate to say are undervalued in case there are any hard core efficient market hypothecists around!). I mostly use manual focus lenses and the end is far ahead of dslr screens for this. It’s practically discontinued now and presumably there will be a new one eventually - after the Leica Sl3? But there isn’t much they could add to make it better for me - beyond playing nicer with wide M glass and 16 shot high res in body.
It's funny how haptics can play a part in how a person can bond with an object. Case in point, the Panasonic S1. I've had my S5 since 2021, and as good as it is, I don't feel a deep sense of enjoyment of it like I do with the Panasonic G9. It's in the way it handles and feels; the G9's grip shape and overall body just feels better.

On the other hand, I picked up a Panasonic S1H at a shop, and it felt like pulling Excalibur from the stone. I've handled the S1 and Leica SL2S, and they give a similar feeling, and this is what is pulling me towards them. Despite being 200g less, the SL2S feels more solid and heavy than the 1kg S1, which I ascribe to the haptics. I suspect I would get a lot of enjoyment from a S1 or S1R for general use, but it would bug me for travel work because all my work gear has to go into carry on luggage, and that extra weight makes a difference. First world problems, eh.

My newest, and only, digital camera is a Sony A7II that I bought in 2014. I use it for less than 10% of my photography. The rest of the time is split between a Leica IIf and IIIf, a Nicca 3S, and a Contax IIa. Except for the Sony all of the cameras are about my age, which might explain why the Sony gets so little use.

Back