ALL ZI & ZI SW production stopped

Yeah, why is anyone complaining about the price of a Leica when a Leica S can be had for only $23,000 at the discount houses? LOL.

The price of S is in line with other large sensor digitals like Hasselblad H series. Why would leica be a "cheapie" because those guys can easily afford those...?

"I look at it this way: If we take the M-Monochrom with $ 8000,- price tag. if the life span will be in line with other M leicas it will easily live 20 years. That will be 400 dollars per year. If it has a life span of double that, like my M3 DS, it is only half of that... that is like pocket money..."

Most digital cameras die soon after the warranty expires, they are designed to do that.
Most? Perhaps. So were many film point-and-shoots: a life of a few dozen rolls. But it's not obligatory.

Cheers,

R.

"I look at it this way: If we take the M-Monochrom with $ 8000,- price tag. if the life span will be in line with other M leicas it will easily live 20 years. That will be 400 dollars per year. If it has a life span of double that, like my M3 DS, it is only half of that... that is like pocket money..."

Most digital cameras die soon after the warranty expires, they are designed to do that.
hey Dude: What is the life span of those normal Houses made of wood & other simple materials you see around small towns in America... 20 years, maybe... hopefully...

One of life's truisms is that, along with the inevitability of death and taxes, oldtime, old-tech clockwork, cogs and springs will always outlast computer chips, electric string and batteries.

Some people know this, buy accordingly and sleep easy at night.

Others shrug their shoulders, change their cameras every year and complain about the ever-rising cost of Leica's lastest electronic whizz-bang,

It's a wonderful thing, having choice,,, (!)

I think he was joking about turning it into a film camera.

Anyhow: I suppose dealers will sell out their stock at good prices. I'm glad to have acquired one last week – the silver/chrome one that looks so retro. Popflash had it for about 1/2 price. It's one of those incorrectly called a 'demo,' when it really should be called 'refurbished.' (Leica does that, too.)

With 1938 Sonnar, mod by Brian Sweeney:

Kirk

This is the way to go, nice tickle in the brain, while films dry...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40146285@N08/8268343268/in/photostream

hey Dude: What is the life span of those normal Houses made of wood & other simple materials you see around small towns in America... 20 years, maybe... hopefully...

Poor analogy. Some friends of mine are living in a 1880's wooden home. It's in excellent shape too.

Jim B.

Poor analogy. Some friends of mine are living in a 1880's wooden home. It's in excellent shape too.

Jim B.
Dear Jim,

It's true that some of these new 19th century houses last OK but they pale next to stone. Some friends nearby are currently repairing their 13th century manor house/chateau. GOOD woodwork should last several centuries; good stone, many centuries. The oldest part of my house is probably late mediaeval/early renaissance; the castle I can see from my study was finished by about 1020. The parish church (across the road) is probably 600 years old and that's at least 200 years newer than the church in my native village where I was christened.

The trick lies in making things properly. Extraordinary numbers of people have never seen ANYTHING that was made properly (not even a Leica).

Cheers,

R.

I read the Zeiss announcement on Facebook today. It has me thinking about purchasing a spare body. They're nice little boxes at a reasonable price. Shame to see them go.

My wooden house was built in 1911. Had it CLA'd in 55 and 97 .... still going strong, except for the occasional shutters problem! :)

Leica apparently has not been manufacturing film cameras for a while, so I guess this now only leaves Bessa's. Who'd have though.

Back