Almost Ready for an M10-P purchase...everyone satisfied with theirs?

It's a big investment. I think I'll shoot through a block of b&w film in the ol' M7 before I decide. That would be a smaller investment :p

It's a big investment. I think I'll shoot through a block of b&w film in the ol' M7 before I decide. That would be a smaller investment :p

This to me isn’t an “investment” if it was then you would be buying to sell for a profit… Its a passion or at least it should be. To me you invest in the stock market, crypto, a house… I never view anything that’s associated with a passion or hobby as an investment… It’s just the wrong mindset in my opinion…

This to me isn’t an “investment” if it was then you would be buying to sell for a profit… Its a passion or at least it should be. To me you invest in the stock market, crypto, a house… I never view anything that’s associated with a passion or hobby as an investment… It’s just the wrong mindset in my opinion…

I have heard a lot of people describe purchases as investments. Sometimes it is an investment in happiness.

Eh? "Investment"? "expensive purchase"? "extreme toy"? What does it matter?

Buy it if you want it. There's no penalty for chickening out.. :angel: ;) :D

I paid a pretty penny for a couple of nice Longines wristwatches in the past year. Like them a lot, don't need them, they tell the time well, but I just wanted them. And had the money. Life is too short...

G

Whatever, nobody is interested in a slightly different view mindset… not sure why I even bother, everyone is set in there ways… carry on

Eh? "Investment"? "expensive purchase"? "extreme toy"? What does it matter?

Buy it if you want it. There's no penalty for chickening out.. :angel: ;) :D

I paid a pretty penny for a couple of nice Longines wristwatches in the past year. Like them a lot, don't need them, they tell the time well, but I just wanted them. And had the money. Life is too short...

G

Agreed, there is still always someone out there telling another person how to use their wallet. The problem with that is that some people can buy Leicas like others can buy McDonalds.

Last edited:
Agreed, there is still always someone out there telling me another person how to use their wallet. The problem is some people can buy Leicas like others can buy McDonalds.

Yes. We are on page 8 of other people telling the OP how to use his wallet. Of course, the OP did ask. It is a good thing his wife is on board with him spending $8995 on a camera. Otherwise what was he going to say to her when she found out? "A bunch of random guys over on RFF living vicariously though me said it would be a great idea to buy a Leica M10-P. But we can talk more about that later. I have to quick go post some pictures of it. Isn't she a beauty! What do you say we get a Happy Meal to celebrate."

Agreed, there is still always someone out there telling another person how to use their wallet. The problem with that is that some people can buy Leicas like others can buy McDonalds.

Agreed. But do we want now to veer into wealth disparities? Life is not fair. Behind every great fortune there is a great crime. Great. I make do with what I have. The "art" of photography is who is pushing the button not what button is being pushed. You cannot buy your way to good photos. A prime example of the disconnect between wealth and "art" is Vivian Meier. So let's get out there taking pictures and stop talking pictures. We need both but we have to have something to see, review, comment upon and learn from. Shopping is really not part of that. As always, YMMV.

Agreed. But do we want now to veer into wealth disparities? Life is not fair. Behind every great fortune there is a great crime. Great. I make do with what I have. The "art" of photography is who is pushing the button not what button is being pushed. You cannot buy your way to good photos. A prime example of the disconnect between wealth and "art" is Vivian Meier. So let's get out there taking pictures and stop talking pictures. We need both but we have to have something to see, review, comment upon and learn from. Shopping is really not part of that. As always, YMMV.

I get it...of course. But I no longer think I can change the world. I accept that the world can suck and also can be great. I choose to be selfishly happy after many horrible years of depression. Vivian Meier had nice gear... and now her art is sold in the finest galleries. You might be surprised, but I am very prolific and not lazy. But I also enjoy RFF. I am always working on making myself and my photography better. You can check out some here; www.johngellings.com

I get it...of course. But I no longer think I can change the world. I accept that the world can suck and also can be great. I choose to be selfishly happy after many horrible years of depression. Vivian Meier had nice gear... and now her art is sold in the finest galleries. You might be surprised, but I am very prolific and not lazy. But I also enjoy RFF. I am always working on making myself and my photography better. You can check out some here; www.johngellings.com

Nice work. Always urban? NY, NY, the name's so nice they say it twice.

I did not mean to be seen as commenting on you for I was not. However there is a preoccupation with labels among some and that obscures what is important: the image. Granted the gear is important but we might want to weigh that against what the gear is for. Steinbeck's "Cannery Row" or "Sweet Thursday" had a character who kept building a sailboat only to partially dismantle and rebuild it as a different sailboat again and again. It was never sailed. Just for me and possibly for no others, but I would rather be out with a crap camera than at home with the latest, greatest, most expensive gear checking its specs and reading its manuals. And I do love complex mechanical toys that cost a lot of money.

I cannot count on my pen to make me a great writer.

Pompton Lakes? Plainfield. Can you get real Italian food in Chile?

Nice work. Always urban? NY, NY, the name's so nice they say it twice.

I did not mean to be seen as commenting on you for I was not. However there is a preoccupation with labels among some and that obscures what is important: the image. Granted the gear is important but we might want to weigh that against what the gear is for. Steinbeck's "Cannery Row" or "Sweet Thursday" had a character who kept building a sailboat only to partially dismantle and rebuild it as a different sailboat again and again. It was never sailed. Just for me and possibly for no others, but I would rather be out with a crap camera than at home with the latest, greatest, most expensive gear checking its specs and reading its manuals. And I do love complex mechanical toys that cost a lot of money.

I cannot count on my pen to make me a great writer.

Pompton Lakes? Plainfield. Can you get real Italian food in Chile?

Thank you. Mostly urban because that where I have lived. Soon that will change and I will try non urban environments. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that some of us like cameras and take photos. But I agree with you. I would not own cameras if I was not photographing.

So NJ as well! Nice. Yes, Chile has a lot of people of Italian descent. My wife is part Italian and even has an Italian passport. I am not sure I have had great Italian food in the USA either but I am satisfied.

Pretty funny stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm still suffering from indecision and I'm setting up my Pakon F135+ for the Acros I just bought for the M7. I'll be able to make a better decision once I burn through 8-10 rolls. Just don't want to spend "stupid" money. By then...we'll see what the M11 is all about.

Pretty funny stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm still suffering from indecision and I'm setting up my Pakon F135+ for the Acros I just bought for the M7. I'll be able to make a better decision once I burn through 8-10 rolls. Just don't want to spend "stupid" money. By then...we'll see what the M11 is all about.

Waiting seems like a sensible option ...
Non of these cameras are a perfect fit ... at least that`s what I`ve found so its hard to recommend a course of action, frankly.
You weigh it up depending on what you shoot and go with your best guess.
I have three film M bodies and shot action with them (as well as other stuff) for over ten years.
Hard work and I wouldn`t do it again.
Canon DSLR`s ... pretty perfect in many ways for what I do but I prefer EVF`s.
Sony A7R2 even better .
I regret selling that with the lovely Batis lenses.
I now use a CL but which is a cracking camera and takes my M lenses plus has superb native glass.
I enjoy that more than I did using an M in many ways.
I also have an SL2S ... great camera but the AF could hit a barn door if the barn door was moving .
My A7R2 was streets ahead in that department .
Pros and cons to them all ... there isn`t a " right answer"

Back