Alpa - the unRF/Alpa - the unSLR

When I was just barely high school age, the camera shop in my city had a pair of 10d cameras on the shelf. The salesman there let me handle them a few times and i remember they were lovely things: big, a bit weighty, and everything on them worked with a great feel. I've wanted one ever since, but the relative rarity and high price ... well, let's just say that I find Leica cameras sufficiently satisfying for making photos with. :D

G

My Alpa 7 with 50 Kern-Switar finally back from Florida (I'm in Australia) - serviced (lens & body) shutter replacement & rangefinder alignment by 3R Camera (Radu Lesaru) - he came recommended to me via an Alpa afficonado/dealer (Franco Cornaggia) in Switzerland. He has the production sheets for many of the Alpa cameras - I was able to source a PDF of my camera's production details (see PDF image) & that it was indeed imported into Australia (Melbourne) in 1956, the year of my birth.
How special to have a 'birth certificate' for your camera!

How did they manage to make a rangefinder work with only one window, and how do you do that in practice?

How special to have a 'birth certificate' for your camera!

Agreed. That is amazing. I like to think of this as a particularly "Swiss" characteristic. I don't know of any other manufacturer that supplies or even retains any type of record on individual cameras they manufacture.

How did they manage to make a rangefinder work with only one window, and how do you do that in practice?
There are two windows - the second window is near the bottom of the camera - about where you'd place your left hand while cradling the lens...

See here: https://www.mikeeckman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Alpa-15.jpg

Earlier models (e.g. 6, 6a) have the same nicely rounded shape, but the extra viewfinder is optical only (no rangefinder).

Last edited:
There are two windows - the second window is near the bottom of the camera - about where you'd place your left hand while cradling the lens...
I personally feel this is one of the few design faults of these dual (SLR/rangefinder) function models - it's so easy to block the lower window with your hand - you need to develop a unique way of holding the camera if you want to effectively use the rangefinder function

I picked up this unusual leather case at an estate sale yesterday, at $5 I couldn't resist. However, I cannot guess its purpose. So I put it to you.
  1. It's an Alpa branded case that was made by Homa.
  2. The case unsnaps and slides forward, however you can't close it when it's expanded. So the expansion must have something to do with what you do with it after you've arrived and are at work.
  3. There are some holes along the top edges that may have had dividers or some structural element tied to them on the interior. You can see how the yellow velvet is a slightly different color adjacent to them.
Anyway, I'm obsessed with figuring what this is for... especially if I end up selling it.

IMG_4794.jpeg
IMG_4795.jpeg
IMG_4796.jpeg
IMG_4797.jpeg
IMG_4798.jpeg

I picked up this unusual leather case at an estate sale yesterday, at $5 I couldn't resist. However, I cannot guess its purpose. So I put it to you.
  1. It's an Alpa branded case that was made by Homa.
  2. The case unsnaps and slides forward, however you can't close it when it's expanded. So the expansion must have something to do with what you do with it after you've arrived and are at work.
  3. There are some holes along the top edges that may have had dividers or some structural element tied to them on the interior. You can see how the yellow velvet is a slightly different color adjacent to them.
Anyway, I'm obsessed with figuring what this is for... especially if I end up selling it.

View attachment 4828395
View attachment 4828396
View attachment 4828397
View attachment 4828398
View attachment 4828399
Dunno... A very classy lunchbox?

If you use the Book of Faces, this appears to be an Alpa group. Perhaps someone there might know something?

Back