Alpha 7R and Zeiss

fuwen

Well-known
Local time
1:13 PM
Finally I am serious with digital camera. Have been taking photos with Kodak negatives since 1985, and for some reasons I am waiting for a full frame digital, specifically, with an affordable price. And so Dec 2013 I pre-ordered and got an Alpha 7R.

a7r.jpeg

Alpha 7R with the vertical grip and the not so compatible ZM 15/2.8 Distagon T*.

I ordered all the mount convertors I need, including Praktica-E, Rollei QBM-E, Contax CY-E, Leica M-E and Nikon-E. All of a sudden I have a digital body (actually I have and still have a 6 MP Pentax DL but never use it for any serious work) and so many lenses now to used with.

I only use the Alpha 7R in one mode: manual exposure with focus magnifier. And I am very please with the camera.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php/home/my-digitals/alpha-7r/119-sony-alpha-7r

The most disappointing part with Alpha 7R is my ZM M mount lenses with focal length lesser than 35mm are not very usable with the body. For some reasons Sony full frame sensor is not like Leica ones, and does not work well with rangefinder lenses where the rear lens element is very close to the sensor plane, and thus the angle of attack of light rays at the corners will cause colour shift, vignetting and image loss of resolution. But this can be a hit and miss thing where some time I can get images that are usable like the one below taking with ZM 25/2.8 Biogon T*

zm25_ubin_lorry.jpeg

P Ubin Singapore, f5.6 1/125 ZM 25/2.8 Biogon T*, ISO 100, 1 Dec 2013.

Or this one taken by the ZM 28/2.8 Biogon T*, note the high centre details.

zm28_kl_highway.jpeg

zm28_kl_highway_crop500.jpeg

f4 1/125 ZM 28/2.8 Biogon T*, ISO 400, 10 Dec 2013.

The ZM 15/2.8 Distagon, despite a Distagon design, the rear of the lens is still too close to the full frame digital sensor and thus the corner light rays attack angle is still too steep. However, in certain situation the photographs taken were totally usable, like the shop display below. In fact a close up examination of the lights at the corners there are little colour fringing and image issues.

zm15_shop_display650.jpeg

f4 1/60 ZM 15/2.8 Distagon T*, ISO 800, 24 Dec 2013.

A more suitable 15mm would be the Zeiss 15/2.8 ZF.2 but I do not really like the size of it.

The ZM 50/2 Planar and the 85/2 Sonnar work perfectly well with the Alpha 7R. High resolution apparent, nice bokeh. The 85 Sonnar is kind of special. The photos taken on film already different from the rests of the Zeiss, and with a very high resolution it is well suited for the 36 MP Alpha 7R.

DSC00031_s8r_1_650.jpeg

f2/2.8 1/125 ZM 50/2 Planar T*, ISO 800, 1 Dec 2013, Zeiss always shines under low light : )

zm85_lily.jpeg

P Ubin Singapore, f2.8 1/500-1/1000 ZM 85/2 Sonnar T*, ISO 100, 1 Dec 2013.

Using medium and long tele lenses on Alpha 7R is really an enjoyment. I am getting much sharper pictures than before, partly thanks to the wonderful focus magnifier with mirrorless camera, and partly my deteriorating eye sight that cannot focus that well with optical finder anymore. I used a very old Schneider Tele-Xenar 135/3.5 taking a statue at Malaysia Batu Cave below.

schneider135_indian_god.jpeg

f4/5.6 1/500 135/3.5 Tele-Xenar, ISO 100, Manfrotto 190B/410 Gear, 12 Dec 2013.
Old lens with a new life ........

A few shots with Zeiss Contax 300 f4 Tele-Tessar. I have never taken such well focused shots with this lens before, partly also thanks to the easily adjustable ISO setting with digital camera that I can now use higher shutter speed as far as possible.

cy300_redflower.jpeg

River Safari Singapore, f4 1/500 300/4 Tele-Tessar T*, ISO 100,
Manfrotto 190XPROB/410 Gear, 25 Feb 2014.

cy300_deer.jpeg

Singaore Zoo, f4 1/250 300/4 Tele-Tessar T*,
ISO 400, Manfrotto 190XPROB/410 Gear, 23 Mar 2014.

I jumped into Contax system with the reason wanting to try out Zeiss zooms. But after a while I go back to primes and not really working a lot with the zoom lenses. But I was quite please with the recent results with the Zeiss 80-200 f4 Vario-Sonnar tele zoom at the zoo of Singapore. Below is a shot of an iguana and I am impress with the high resolution apparent of the lens.

cyzoom_iguana.jpeg

cyzoom_iguana500.jpeg

Singapore Zoo, f4 1/125-1/250 80-200/4 Vario Sonnar T*, Manfrotto 190B/410 Gear, 30 Dec 2013.

For the first time I am able to take some photos with the 180 f2.8 Sonnar at the night safari of Singapore with very high ISO setting at 6400. Direct JPG, noise is visible but no choice for such shooting condition.

night_safari.jpeg

Night Safari Singapore, f2.8 1/60 180/2.8 Sonnar T*, ISO 6400, 22 Dec 2013.

I am a lazy photographer where post-processing is never my cup of tea. I am very please with the Alpha 7R in-camera JPG outputs. Like the one below shooting with ZM 21/2.8 Biogon T*, not only the photo is usable despite it is a M mount super wide angle, the photo attached here is pushed by one stop due to the original one being under-exposed. And I did the exposure adjustment on the original JPG file, not the RAW file.

zm21_forestgum_lunch.jpeg

Bubble Shrimp Restaurant, f4 1/60 ZM 21/2.8 Biogon T*, ISO 1600, 12 Dec 2013.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php/home/my-digitals/alpha-7r/119-sony-alpha-7r

I use the 35-70/3.4 C/Y lens to great effect. It is a worthy lens on that camera. I have also had good results with the 18mm/4 ZM lens with a little bit of cropping in some photos.

Joel

There is an iPad apps Zeiss lens catalogue. The samples for otus is simply breath taking! Not sure is there an android version or not.

fuwen thx for sharing. how do you find the a-priority shooting with adapted lenses?

I shoot manually all along, so not much issue with me for the A7. Normally my priority is shutter speed, which is 1/125 whenever possible. Then I adjust the aperture to meet the correct exposure. If aperture is around f 5.6 to f8 my favourite setting for most of my lenses, then I start tune the shutter speed beyond 1/125.

With the A7 EVF at working aperture mode, I have no issue at all focus and compose at working aperture.

The only issue is with flash photography. If my flash setting and the available light setting is more than 2 stops away then I have a hard time focus and compose at working aperture.

... The only issue is with flash photography. If my flash setting and the available light setting is more than 2 stops away then I have a hard time focus and compose at working aperture.

If you set Live View Display to OFF, the EVF will be kept bright. When it would be dark, the image can get a little jumpy due to the refresh rate slowing down, but it's better than not being able to see clearly to focus.

I have found the A7 to be a great "one body for all manual lenses" choice too. Short focal length SLR lenses are a better match to the sensor, 40-50mm and up doesn't matter much. I use it mostly with Leica R and Nikkor SLR lenses.

Nice photos you posted. You have an interesting lens collection.

G

fuwen thx for sharing. how do you find the a-priority shooting with adapted lenses?

I use aperture priority most of the time, along with AutoISO set to run a high limit of ISO 3200. With focal lengths up to 50mm, this works very nicely in almost all lighting circumstances. (I find the A7 sensor clean enough to run ISO 6400 and even 125000 occasionally, but I normally like to keep it under 3200.)

With longer focal lengths, when the light levels go down the camera will "bottom out" at 1/50 second before it starts pushing up the sensitivity. This is not a problem for me ... just switch to Manual mode then, leave AutoISO enabled, and set an appropriate minimum shutter speed. Control exposure by adjusting aperture and watching the histogram.

G

Thanks Godfrey! Never thought of that, turn EVF to live view off! My last issue with the A7R solved!

Thanks Godfrey! Never thought of that, turn EVF to live view off! My last issue with the A7R solved!

Glad to help!

I usually leave it on as the Live View Display does a good job of approximating exposure results in the viewfinder for manual and aperture priority exposure modes, but flash use in dim circumstances is a very good reason to disable it.

G

Back