Am I crazy?

Hi Wes, I too had a similar rationalisation as to your first post - although, as I am still a student, I made the revelation with lower quality cameras!

I started shooting on a D3000, but found the process quite dissatisfying. After a couple of months travelling in the middle east I realised that on all the photos I was taking, I was disabling the features which set a DSLR apart. I was shooting MF (without a rangefinder... those were the days haha), VR-off, my 18-55mm lens always fixed at 35mm (50mm equivalent on full frame) and guessing the exposures. I then spent weeks on photoshop degrading the image quality of all the photos I had taken, converting to black and white, adding vignettes etc and trying to recreate the 'analog magic'.

At this point, I had to evaluate what was the point in having a camera like that at all? So there's where I bought myself a FED-2 after realising that Leica's were the cameras used by all the photographers who shared their style closest to mine.

Months down the line, I never use my DSLR except for negatives digitising, and always use my rangefinder. It has all of the romance and enjoyable quirks that I wanted from my DSLR and was 1/6th the price.

Good luck with your choice whatever you do.

And congratulations!

;)

In seriousness, a D3 is not my idea of a street camera, too big, too threatening. It helps me with my nerve on the street if I look like some kind of innocuous geek. It's nice with the sky too. Digital beats color neg film in resolution and shadow detail, everything else, I like the film.

Have fun!

Well, I listed my camera for sale. Now, it is only a matter of time before it sells.
Perhaps I stumbled on this thread somewhat late, and it may even be too late for my comment.

I can understand listing the digital stuff and aiming for a Leica. Heck, every once in a while I'm tempted to do the same. But what isn't clear to me from your posts, is whether you've actually already used/handled an M. They're certainly an acquired taste.. some like 'em, some don't.

If it's the film/manual experience you're after, you could do worse than get a cheapish FE/FM and work that for a while to see whether that satisfies your appetite.

Selling the M after a while and buying back into a (D)SLR system again seems like an expensive learning curve to me..

Maybe M3s are more expensive in the USA but in the uk you can pick up a decent one up for £350 I only paid £300 for an M2 from a dealer. I would keep the D3 (bit late now maybe). Its the second best camera in the World 5dmk11 being the best:D
Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

wes.... you are not so crazy .....on the another side of the world I also became leicaphile....

I strongly agreed with Dave...live is too short...go for it with your passion, consume it, partake it (leica) , I can say....enjoy your life with Leica....like me!:rolleyes:

Have a nice weekend and Merry Christmas!:eek:

one day, I will eye the film like you probably! who know.;)

Good luck!

And congratulations!

;)

In seriousness, a D3 is not my idea of a street camera, too big, too threatening. It helps me with my nerve on the street if I look like some kind of innocuous geek. It's nice with the sky too. Digital beats color neg film in resolution and shadow detail, everything else, I like the film.

Have fun!

Thank you, both!

Perhaps I stumbled on this thread somewhat late, and it may even be too late for my comment.

I can understand listing the digital stuff and aiming for a Leica. Heck, every once in a while I'm tempted to do the same. But what isn't clear to me from your posts, is whether you've actually already used/handled an M. They're certainly an acquired taste.. some like 'em, some don't.

If it's the film/manual experience you're after, you could do worse than get a cheapish FE/FM and work that for a while to see whether that satisfies your appetite.

Selling the M after a while and buying back into a (D)SLR system again seems like an expensive learning curve to me..

No, I have not, actually. I do have a rangefinder (see sig), however, and I really enjoy it. If anything, a Leica would be much better.

And I don't understand the last bit. For the most part, Leica (film) bodies are increasing in price. DSLRs, however, constantly drop in price as soon as the next model comes out.

Maybe M3s are more expensive in the USA but in the uk you can pick up a decent one up for £350 I only paid £300 for an M2 from a dealer. I would keep the D3 (bit late now maybe). Its the second best camera in the World 5dmk11 being the best:D
Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Well, I could probably get an M3 DS for around that price, but in my original post, I put such a high price for the M3 because I was looking at an SS model and I was taking into consideration a CLA and and refurbishing that must be done in order to return the camera to new condition.

wes.... you are not so crazy .....on the another side of the world I also became leicaphile....

I strongly agreed with Dave...live is too short...go for it with your passion, consume it, partake it (leica) , I can say....enjoy your life with Leica....like me!:rolleyes:

Have a nice weekend and Merry Christmas!:eek:

one day, I will eye the film like you probably! who know.;)

Thanks for the kind words and Merry Christmas to you, too! :)

oh and, off topic, but what is the meaning of your avatar? It looks very similar to the logo for Panerai (the Italian watch company).

old_panerai_logo.gif

ditch digital for RF?

ditch digital for RF?

hey,

this is my first post on the forum. i have been lurking for a few weeks, learning about Rangefinders and becoming intrigued by Leicas. formerly, i shot only on a DSLR (d80 then a 7d). i was recently reacquainted with my dad's Nikon Nikkormat (plus 24, 35, 50 macro lenses). i am smitten; there is something about the film aesthetic and technique that cannot be replicated by digital. i am also toying with the idea of developing b+w film in my basement.

however, i am trying to decide if i should pursue film photography without my DSLR. i still have a g11, which i could use whenever digital is "needed".

i could probably afford to keep my 7d+lenses but i don't know if i like the idea of having several different types of camera setups. based on a lot of what i have read on RFF, it seems that many people have no problem at all holding onto a boatload of gear, but i wonder if that would just leave me confused. the other consideration is that i have in the past used my 7d for video. in total, i would estimate my DSLR collection to be worth about $2500-3000, which could probably buy me a body, lens, and maybe even put money towards something for video.

in light of all this, i am just wondering what it would be like to ditch the DSLR and jump into the RF world. is this a big leap that i may regret? or become frustrated with?

any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

If you've never used a rangefinder, I suggest that you buy something cheap to begin with and see if you like it. Rangefinders and SLRs are completely different cameras. In general, if you don't like the rangefinder experience, a Leica will not change that.

I suggest that you pick up something like a Yashica Electro 35 and use that for a bit. If you enjoy shooting with rangefinders, then you can consider ditching your gear for a Leica.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy comes into KFC and asks if chicken is good.

Pull up a chair and get a plate.

What do you like to shoot?
Rangefinders are fantastic tools, but there are some limitations that come with the fabulous form factor, lenses, etc.
Probably the biggest issue you need to consider is whether you can do without telephoto. Certainly you can get a 90 or 135, but rangefinders just don't compete with an SLR or DSLR in this arena.

They also aren't all that hot for extreme wide angles - particularly if you don't like using an auxiliary finder. And you won't be doing much macro work with a rangefinder.

But if you do the vast majority of your shooting in the 28-90 range, you could do quite well with a rangefinder. If that's the case, go for it.

It worries me that the M3 hasn't a built in meter and is purely manual: your two have built in meters and are auto. Ditto that the M2 would be better, having frames either side of 50mm (flexible) rather than going out from 50mm. OK you can use a 35 with spec's but that's narrowing your choice.

Having said all that I'll wish you luck with your new move and I'll warn you that no one in the entire world has ever just bought just one Leica body and just one lens...

Regards, David

If queue comes to 35 mm then it's possible to buy an external viewfinder for M3 (Voight f.e.)
If somebody needs a meter in M3 he will definitely buy it as Leica's and Voight's are on sale.
Why is all that mess about one-man-wants-a-legend?

Wes, I used to shoot M6 but sold it for financing Canon 85/1.2. I thought it will be ok as I have ZI as well. But I'm going to buy Leica again and it will be an M3 as well.
Just because I want it.
Metering is not a question if you use your experience and feel it.

Wes, yes I guess lots of people here have made that switch. I kept my digitals but soon sold them to buy another lens. Rangefinders are, as you know, different cameras. What I love is the size, the quietness of the shutter, the ability to see around the framed-lined image through your viewfinder, hence anticipating the image, the ability to keep seeing even when the shutter is clicked. Most of all it fits in my hand and I can raise it to take a photo with minimal fuss. DSLR's have their place. But RF's and Film processes coupled with processing your own negs and making wet prints beats the hell out of staying stuck behind a computer. But like everything in life, it's a personal preference, so if it feels good, do it. Good luck !

Ok guys, the D3 has been sold. I'm sad that I parted with such a nice camera, but I sold it for what I bought it for. With the new cameras that should be coming out in 2011, from a financial standpoint, it made sense to sell it. But really, that's probably just an excuse that I'm telling myself so that I can try something new. I hope that by buying a film camera for my primary, the emptiness that I felt with digital will be filled.

So now the search begins. As I've said many times, 50mm is my favorite focal length. An M3 would be great. The only downside is that there is no meter. With some experience, I'm sure that I can do fine without a meter, but for the time being, I can buy an external pocket meter or even use the free light meter app for the iPhone.

The M6 also came into the equation, but after much thought, I decided against it. People seem to be bothered by the flair from the M6 and the M6 seems to have been produced during Leicas "low point." Additionally, I prefer the classic styling of the M3.

Considering my desires, an MP would be another good option, but the only problem is the price. I'd be willing to spend 2600-2700 for one, but it may be hard to find one for that price. There is a photography show coming up at the beginning of January that I'm going to go to. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something there.

Wes,

Buy the M6 and get the MP finder upgrade from Youxin Ye. He can also replace the winding mechanism with a brass gear and it will just purr like an M3. I've just done this and although I backed into the repair I am very glad now and the finder upgrade makes me feel stupid I haven't done this sooner. The cost of the upgrades plus a very nice M6 body would be over a $1000 savings over the MP decision. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Enough green money to buy almost any Leica, CZ, or CV 50mm of your choosing.

Just my 2600.00 dollars worth of advice :)

Back