Am I the only one here with an Xpan?

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
6:33 AM
Anyone else have one of these? I seem to be the only one posting in this forum :(

I have one. Just shot a roll of Ektachrome 200 and Kodakchrome 64. Haven't had either roll processed yet.

In total, I've shot maybe 15 rolls in the 18 months that I've owned it.

Now... the Xpan is fairly large, and the lenses are very slow (f4). Neither of those things make my purchasing hormones go berserk but what did it for you?

From the little I know, this is mostly a landscape camera. Am I right? Perhaps the Xpan needs a bit of a cult and you guys can start it here... :)

I bought me a Noblex 135, enjoyed it much, but it's big! When I heard of the XPan I wish I had waited a little longer and bought the XPan instead of the Noblex. The XPan is so much smaller, and I think so much more usable.

But now, several years on, I no longer have an urge to buy it. I'm even considering selling the Noblex.

I was considering purchasing a XPan as my 35mm system before I went the Bessa way, as I have used a Horizon 202 before and have enjoyed the results.
A couple of things that put me off where-
No proper B setting; 32 seconds max.
The widest lens was a 30mm. 20mm would have been great...

At least the lens weas fixed and didn't swing and end up warping all your verticals.

Still would consider one, but the local camera dealer has a used Horseman 612 for the price of a used XPan...

Stu :)

Another noblex user

Another noblex user

I have to say I also purchased my noblex just before they came out with the xpan, and have to say I would like to own both.
There is room for both styles of cameras except in my pocketbook. I must say the lens is great on the noblex and I have used a xpan, it is a easier camera to hold but I prefer the noblex pictures.
With any panoramic camera it will take time and film to get used to seeing the way these cameras work. There are alot of poor panoramic pictures on the net, just because they were shot with a panoramaic camera does not make them great pictures!!!!

Back