Am I the only one that prefers the Xpan/TX1 to the Xpan2/TX2?

Huss

Mentor
Local time
11:47 AM
Right now I have the Xpan1 and TX2 (Xpan 2) in my possession.
And funny thing I prefer the Xpan1 (Fuji TX1) for several reasons.
The VF is clearer. The exposure confirmation dot does not block anything, and most of the time from experience I can accurately estimate what the shutter speed is. If I am not sure, holding down the shutter button half way locks the exposure, so I can then see what the actual speed read out is on the back.
The Xpan2/TX2's exposure read out impedes on the bottom edge of the VF, taking away that extra compositional space that RF cameras are so good at providing.
I much prefer both the ISO dial, and the exposure compensation dial on the XPan/TX1, than the teeny buttons that need to be pushed and scrolled through on the Xpan2/TX2.
If you want to shoot infrared film, the Xpan2/TX2 is meant to be better as it apparently does not fog the film, but the owner's manual still recommends testing it first with whatever film you are going to use. So it seems to not be 100% certain.
The Xpan2/TX2 allows for one stop longer exposure on the bulb setting - something I'll never use, it allows for choice of film leader in/out and multiple exposures. I think the only thing I'd ever use there is maybe the multiple exposure ability but again it is so fiddly to use - multiple teeny button pushings - that I'd prefer to use a camera like a Nikon FE2 or Minolta XK where the process is extremely simple.
Add the fact that a XpanII/TX2 is much more expensive than an Xpan/TX1, I honestly could not recommend it over the first gen. Even for the same money. I just find the handling (dials) and VF (clearer) on the Xpan/TX1 to be superior.

I may shoot another roll or two before deciding whether to keep my TX2, or sell it on.

I have an TX1 with 45mm and 90mm lenses that I was considering selling, but now may reconsider?

I don't have the center filter. Have you found it really necessary, or can vignetting be corrected well in post?

Is the TX1 serviceable in the U.S. just in case there's a problem?

Are the TX2 and the XPAN2 truly identical... except for "cosmetics?"

Yes they are identical.

I have an TX1 with 45mm and 90mm lenses that I was considering selling, but now may reconsider?

I don't have the center filter. Have you found it really necessary, or can vignetting be corrected well in post?

Is the TX1 serviceable in the U.S. just in case there's a problem?

I have found that the center filter is necessary if you shoot at apertures larger than f11 on the 45mm lens. You can remove some of the vignetting in LightRoom, but you can only do so much before it effects the image if the edges have dark as well as light areas.
But some people don't mind that look. But I do as I often like to have my subject on the side of the frame.

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $150. Plenty are priced much higher of course!

Precision Camera Works services the Fuji/Xpan

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/services.html

I just finished the film in my almost like new TX-2 and will be selling it, as I prefer my TX-1 and Xpan. For me the clearer viewfinder view is worth it. Others may find value in seeing the shutter speed read out in the VF.

Never used the XPan2. But, at least on paper, the upgrades look sensible. OK, so not many people will need them all, but I'm sure there are quite a few of them that would appreciate one or two additional features. If the price difference was less I'd definitely go for ver. II. The exposure compensation and ISO dials on Xpan I are probably the worst dedicated dials I've ever used, no wonder they got rid of them and moved the controls to the back. I bet at some point they even considered requiring to use a coin to adjust exp. comp :D

First revisions of XPan1 had max. bulb time of 30s! As a landscape camera that might be quite a limitation for a fair number of users.

I have the center filter for my 45 and I'm yet to take a picture where I would mind the vignetting. Even if it was there ;)

The exposure compensation and ISO dials on Xpan I are probably the worst dedicated dials I've ever used, no wonder they got rid of them and moved the controls to the back. I bet at some point they even considered requiring to use a coin to adjust

And yet I prefer them than pushing the buttons and scroll through menus on my TX-2!

That may put into perspective how bad I find them.

:D

Hmm I'm not doing so well in selling my TX-2 here.. 'clears throat'.. all the changes to the TX-2/Xpan2 make it a much better camera than the previous version, so much so that I could not imagine anyone could take pics with the previous version.
(I hope I did not sound like Steve Huff there.. ;) )

I get you. You prefer the first version (even before considering the price difference).

A lot of people don't. For a lot of people the upgrades/downgrades make sense.

I prefer the Xpan II. For the way I shoot having the shutter speed displayed in the viewfinder is very helpful, in changing lighting it speeds things up. Getting 21 frames on every roll is also a bonus.
I've upgraded my second body to the Xpan II, I got it off eBay, sold my Xpan I on commission at a camera shop in London, and came out in credit.

Getting 21 frames on every roll is also a bonus.

I noticed that XPan is very conservative with calculation of the number of frames it will shoot. I always end with unexposed film on the beginning of the roll that would easily accommodate at least one more panoramic frame (ok, I never expose more of the film leader than absolutely necessary, but still...).

Did XPan2 change something in that regard?

I noticed that XPan is very conservative with calculation of the number of frames it will shoot. I always end with unexposed film on the beginning of the roll that would easily accommodate at least one more panoramic frame (ok, I never expose more of the film leader than absolutely necessary, but still...).

Did XPan2 change something in that regard?

That is weird, I just checked my negs and my Xpan1 only shoots 20 pano exposures to a 36 exp roll, while my TX1 and TX2 shoot 21.

I've been pretty happy with my XPAN 1, with no real wish to upgrade. Now that I have read this, I'm even happier!

I've been pretty happy with my XPAN 1, with no real wish to upgrade. Now that I have read this, I'm even happier!

Don't blame you. But some people really need to see the shutter speeds in the VF, like it is a make or break thing. Funny because no-one seems to have an issue with cameras like the Leica M6, MP etc not showing the shutter speed in the VF!

Back