American Bedrooms

Thanks for the link Raid. An interesting project - I had the same thought years ago, but I haven't had and don't have the opportunity for this sort of work. I think she's produced an excellent body of work, if these images and stories are indicative of the whole.

I photograph people in a documentary mode, and I'm intensely aware of how difficult it can be to gain people's trust and achieve real intimacy. How on Earth does this woman accomplish this work? I'm in awe!

I followed the link to the book, which contains a few more images and also images from a previous series called Hometown. I came away very impressed with this photographer - I agree with Retro-Grouch!

Her method of soliciting her subjects means that her subjects are self-selecting; they are people who choose to participate because it excites them to a certain extent and they are willing. This is much different than her seeking out people who she finds interesting and then proposing the idea.

Her method of soliciting her subjects means that her subjects are self-selecting; they are people who choose to participate because it excites them to a certain extent and they are willing. This is much different than her seeking out people who she finds interesting and then proposing the idea.
Very true! Still, as we all know, a willing subject does not necessarily make for a good photograph. Sometimes it's even the opposite!

Back