Amsterdoomed zine

nzeeman

Well-known
Local time
2:00 AM
Here is my collection of photos taken during last year. Every night i took a walk along Amsterdam streets. Tried to use this corona situation and capture other - lonelier and moor poor side of Amsterdam. In normal times night streets are filled with tourists, everything is open to make profit on them. Now in corona everything changed, regular people started using those streets that were before reserved for tourists, and nights brought strange, silent and lonely atmosphere.
I hope i captured at least a little bit of those things i felt every night. This is volume 1 and i hope more will follow since i couldnt possibly fit everything i recorded in these 365 days of last year in one book because it would be too big and expensive...
here is the link in case you are interested
https://www.blurb.com/b/10578974-amsterdoomed-photo-magazine

That is a really great project. My town is about 45,000, they don't tell us how many live here because they want to continue calling it a town, but it looked like Amsterdam. I never thought of a project like yours: thanks.

also guys i would be thankful if you tell me how you feel about the price and all - i dont have any experience with selling photo books so i dont know if blurb price is decent. i tried to put all paper and everything best available while putting it in cheapest format they offer - magazine. if its too expensive please tell me so i can search maybe some alternative ways to release it. sonce is really impossible to make any profit on blurb or lulu i just want to try and reach as many people and get some feedback from them. also is anyone interested in putting ldf also there? but i dont know how fun is to have pdf of photos...

I just bought it.

The price on the magazine is great. Blurb’s shipping, however, is very expensive. I live in Australia and shipping was more than the magazine.

Marty

I just bought it.

The price on the magazine is great. Blurb’s shipping, however, is very expensive. I live in Australia and shipping was more than the magazine.

Marty

damn! i should maybe check lulu prices as well for shipping. their base price is higher but i think shipping is lower. maybe it can work better for other continents...

damn! i should maybe check lulu prices as well for shipping. their base price is higher but i think shipping is lower. maybe it can work better for other continents...

Don’t worry about it. It’s a small price to pay for living so far away, and among other things, being close to COVID free.

Marty

The more current denomination would be ''Amsterdamned''. This aside, why 'doomed'? Amsterdam survived a few bouts of the plague, as well as the Spanish flu. I'm sure it will also survive Covid-19. I do wonder, however, if mass tourism will return, not only to Amsterdam but to other pre-Covid hotspots, as well. Cheers, OtL

The more current denomination would be ''Amsterdamned''. This aside, why 'doomed'? Amsterdam survived a few bouts of the plague, as well as the Spanish flu. I'm sure it will also survive Covid-19. I do wonder, however, if mass tourism will return, not only to Amsterdam but to other pre-Covid hotspots, as well. Cheers, OtL

i meant more like im doomed here... :) i feel so out of place here-cant possibly adapt... three years now and i even more want to go back to serbia...

Doomed in Amsterdam? I could think of a whole lot of other cities to be doomed in. Cheers, OtL

ah its a really complicated topic - but lets say i prefer modernism and brutalism to traditional architecture. also i was raised in communism so having a king and christian celebrations as main celebrations in state are very strange to me. but life brought us here and im thankful to it - i learned many things and realized more how i love it back there - even some things that i criticized i realized are same here. every bad experience is good experience i believe. also on totally emotional level i really miss sun and blue sky... on the other hand - here people love routine-that makes it really stress-free for life and work. good for a change for few years cause serbs love improvising and always activity - lets meet now, spend whole days in cafes and streets - sometimes you get tired... where do you live? (edit: i am stupid and i see now ho chi minh haha i guess you could surely see difference in communism and western world i am talking about - maybe from totally opposite side)

Love your photos I could see on the Blurb site. I placed the order, now waiting for it.

I made myself a couple of zines with Blurb and was quite satisifed with the result, but expecting a little more sales !

The cost of the zine itself is reasonable in my opinion but taxes and shipping cost bring the total cost m at more than the double and this makes a limit in the sales. Shipping cost is around 80 % of the zine cost. In this case 12 US$ shipping cost from NL to Italy is much!

Last time I tried an experiment: same work proposed as a zine and as a book (smallest format) bith on high quality paper: I got a few sales for the zines, no sales fro the book. Which means cost is important!

Of course I do not make it to make a profit but simply as a way to have my work around.

Waiting now for your copy to arrive in Italy and enjoy to go through your photos :)

Love your photos I could see on the Blurb site. I placed the order, now waiting for it.

I made myself a couple of zines with Blurb and was quite satisifed with the result, but expecting a little more sales !

The cost of the zine itself is reasonable in my opinion but taxes and shipping cost bring the total cost m at more than the double and this makes a limit in the sales. Shipping cost is around 80 % of the zine cost. In this case 12 US$ shipping cost from NL to Italy is much!

Last time I tried an experiment: same work proposed as a zine and as a book (smallest format) bith on high quality paper: I got a few sales for the zines, no sales fro the book. Which means cost is important!

Of course I do not make it to make a profit but simply as a way to have my work around.

Waiting now for your copy to arrive in Italy and enjoy to go through your photos :)

thanks!! now i tested lulu-it seems magazine would be around 12 and postage lower for europe... so lets add that here as well (probably will never collect 20eur needed for payment on neither this way hahah)
little warning - lulu had different way to make cover so back on cover is just black with few words about book... also they margins are super wide so i think photos will be maybe half cm smaller and more in the middle of page -i think maybe will even look nicer that way.. hmm..
unfortunately they dont offer preview...

https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/srd...perback/product-ww94qd.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Some really compelling street captures here. Nice.

thank you - i really hope - they will feel so good in paper as well. i tested printing them and aligning in paper but have no idea how it will look for someone who sees it for first time... i saw them too many times :)

It will be interesting to compare the lulu agains the blurb zine. Quality of reproduction, colours, sharpness and quality of paper.

will do paralel analysis and make separate topic with prices and quality and how complicated to prepare for release-i think it would be useful for members... but speaking of that we should make one book all of us together here on rff-maybe on some topic or with some rules so photos stay more balanced... but lets see quality first...

i got my copy after some big delays with postal office here that lost package. i have blurb for now - it seems very nice and accurate colors - no printing artefacts or anything weird.

U3753I1613660958.SEQ.0.jpg

U3753I1613660959.SEQ.1.jpg

I receive my copy from Blurb days ago and I found it good. Printed on quality paper and with a good printing quality, keeping in mind that all the pictures were taken in an "available darkness" it must have been not so simple to reproduce them.

I did really like the photo you show in the second photo above on the right, the S shaped red rails are very suggestive.

And also a good graphic view in the last cover page, somehow symbolic with that lonely man in front of the yellow series of windows.

You made a good work, I think you shoulkd be satisfied with result! Bravo!

Back