An exceptional documentary on contemporary street photography

ddutchison2

Established
Local time
9:59 AM
Exceptional in that it looks entirely at the artistic motivation and intent of the photographers rather than their gear and technique - though both those are also there to be seen if you care to focus on them - as we all do at times. It's pretty NewYork-centric, but the insights on photography are pertinent to disciplines well outside of "Street".

Photographer commentaries from Lauren Wells, Mathias Wasik, Melissa Breyer, Paul Kessel, Dimitri Mellos, Richard Sandler, Mellisa O'Shaughnnessy, Michael E Sweet, Meryl Meisler, Matt Weber, Johathan Higbee, Julia Gillard, and Jeff Mermelstein.

Additional commentary from editors/curators on Joel Meyerowitz, Vivian Maier, Helen Levitt, Bill Eggleston, Alex Webb, Garry Winnogrand, Robert Frank and John Szarkowski.

Thanks for the heads up. I 've watched half, very interesting for all the reasons you mention. I am saving the other half for tonight.

Very nice to see Dimitri, we took a couple of undergrad courses together ages ago. Excellent photographer and always reflective and eloquent about his process.

Sandler is also a standout. Very Winogrand-ish, very present in the moment photography, it feels like a throbbing vein in New York's temple. Good stuff.

Wonderful and thoughtful. I love this kind of picture-making and the images they highlighted. Like many of you, I am probably my own severest critic -- and when I see the images that really work, it gets me fired up to get out there. I was just thinking about that this morning. I am about a five-hour drive from the pictures I really want to make. Got to crack that whip. ;)

And to see so many women shooting - someone here suggested that we are all men. I immediately thought of Helen Hill and here are many more!

I scrolled through. Without Helen it feels more like equity pushing.
I recognized one lady from NY.
It was one episode with her at street photogaphy walks with photogs in NY YT channel.

Back