An uninformed opinion

The M11 is not a tautological object. The M11 exists not because of the existence of the technology it is made of, but because Leica thought that some photographers would like to buy a rangefinder camera with a 60MP sensor for a whole host of reasons...

I agree. A 60 MP sensor, as implemented by Leica, has multiple advantages.

It is true analog, mechanical RF focusing's potential to meet or exceed the M11sensor assembly's maximum MTF50 with L-DNG (RAW) files is suspect. Scenes with wide lens apertures, close subject distances, low light, low contrast and a lack of vertical lines are most likely to be problematic. The small finder frame lines for 90mm and 135mm lenses are another challenge. The focus and recompose method is likely to be less useful. On the plus side, a rear Fn button on the M11 invokes live view focusing on the reticulated rear LCD screen. There is a focus peaking aid but no electronic zoom mode. The Visoflex 2 EVF is an optional another focus aid but it doesn't have a zoom mode.

Perhaps a more relevant concern is when the MTF50 for one's favorite M/LTM lenses is below the sensor assembly's maximum MTF50.

Leica negated both focusing and lens performance concerns by introduction acquisition-based pixel binning in the M11. Instead of resolution, one can take advantage an increase in signal-to-noise ratio possible when using 36MP or 18MP 14-bit Raw DNG files. L-DNG, M-DNG or S-DNG modes can be selected to match focusing limits, lens MFT50 limits or even the level of scene detail.

A separate advantage in 60 MP mode is lower levels of maze and color hue moiré artifacts caused by an insufficient spatial sampling rate (pixel pitch).

I am not arguing the any aspect of the M11's high-performance, 60 MP sensor assembly justifies spending $9,000.But I do think Leica took the best path forward available to them at this time. Which begs the question: how would we respond to Leica announcing the 10-R and M10 Monochrome will be the end of the M product line for the foreseeable future?

But I do think Leica took the best path forward available to them at this time. Which begs the question: how would we respond to Leica announcing the 10-R and M10 Monochrome will be the end of the M product line for the foreseeable future?

Hmmm, yes, that a great question for the 24mp (or 6 or 10 or 12) is surely enough crowd.

Back