Australia/New Zealand Anderson Camera Repairs in Brisbane ... senior tech has passed away.

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
5:19 PM
I contacted Anderson Camera Repairs this morning to find out what it may cost to clean and re-lubricate a dry focusing helical on my Nikon F mount 50mm f1/4 Zeiss Planar. Apparently their senior tech Nev Anderson has just passed away and he did all the F mount lens repairs along with many vintage cameras!

Sorry to hear that. I had Anderson Camera Repairs looked at a couple of my SLRs in the past.
Another lost to the Brisbane analog community. It's already hard to find a decent repairman here for analog gear.

I heard Nev had died. He was a good guy, it’s a shame he is gone.

Last I heard Van Tranh still runs Camera Tech on Charlotte Street. He did a lot of great work for me.

It is getting hard to find anyone who will work on cameras anywhere in Australia.

Try Twin City Camera in Adelaide. Ron (the owner) is partly retired and only works on some days but he is a trained technician and has performed a good deal of work for me over the years. I believe he still takes work on subject to the above. He is a reliable and solid performer.

(link) Service & Repair

This may be of some help to our Australian members. Being in the U.S. I cannot speak to this individual's skills or prices, but having listened to her on this (and subsequent) podcasts, and the positive opinions of her work of some Australian photographers on the podcast, it might be worth at least checking it out.

Jess Ibarra from Viva La Film in New South Wales, Australia

This may be of some help to our Australian members. Being in the U.S. I cannot speak to this individual's skills or prices, but having listened to her on this (and subsequent) podcasts, and the positive opinions of her work of some Australian photographers on the podcast, it might be worth at least checking it out.

Thanks for posting that. Much appreciated. :)

I've actually got a camera with her for a clean, and had a chat with her while I was dropping the camera off. She has the right attitude and has good mentors so, I'll vouch for her.

And that video needs to be shared in the camera repair section of RFF ... which I have just done. :)

As we and our cameras get older, we are losing those wonderful people who have the background and the spare parts that we need.

In Melbourne, Camera Clinic is no more. I have a couple of spare cameras that I'd been intending to take there, but maybe it's too late. It has resurrected as Imaging by Design. Has anyone any recent feedback?

As we and our cameras get older, we are losing those wonderful people who have the background and the spare parts that we need.

In Melbourne, Camera Clinic is no more. I have a couple of spare cameras that I'd been intending to take there, but maybe it's too late. It has resurrected as Imaging by Design. Has anyone any recent feedback?
The team is the same. At least for Leicas, the work is the same. No idea about other cameras, or what they accept.

Last edited:
The team is the same. At kwast for Leicas, the work is the same. No idea about other cameras, or what they accept.
Have sent 2 Leica's to get internal viewfinder/rangefinder cleaned/Tuned up. As well as as just a once over in case any futher work needs to be done. Will report back on this as well.
On another note, any suggestions for a Leica M5 overhaul/service in Australia?

Have sent 2 Leica's to get internal viewfinder/rangefinder cleaned/Tuned up. As well as as just a once over in case any futher work needs to be done. Will report back on this as well.
On another note, any suggestions for a Leica M5 overhaul/service in Australia?
Send it to Leica Wetzlar via Imaging by Design. Expect it to be pricey.

Is Sherry Krauter still in business ... I seem to remember someone saying she was very good with M5s.
Sherry is still in business. Having IBD handle shipping and insurance to Wetzlar is easier in my experience - I’ve had customs in Australia try to charge GST on items from independent repairers even though they were properly marked, among other problems. And IBD reports back better on progress and timeframes. I really hate sending cameras off into the private repair person void, even if I know I will get them back eventually.

I had Imaging by design clean the dust off my Leica Q, terrific service, well organised charged $235 incl shipping interstate.
I thought that was cheap considering the lens is fixed.
Very happy customer. Recommended.

Sherry is still in business. Having IBD handle shipping and insurance to Wetzlar is easier in my experience - I’ve had customs in Australia try to charge GST on items from independent repairers even though they were properly marked, among other problems. And IBD reports back better on progress and timeframes. I really hate sending cameras off into the private repair person void, even if I know I will get them back eventually.

Hey Marty, I meant ask if you have tried the new on line Aust Post customs declaration yet? I finally sold the C Sonnar I've had in the classifieds and it's off to Singapore today. You fill in the online form with addresses etc and click submit and they SMS you a QR code that you take into the post office which they scan and you then pay the postage and you're done. No standing there while they transfer the info from the squeezy form you've painstakingly filled in to their computer. It's the first time I've tried it and according to the guy at my local Auspost outlet very few people are taking advantage of it strangely! lol

Hey Marty, I meant ask if you have tried the new on line Aust Post customs declaration yet? I finally sold the C Sonnar I've had in the classifieds and it's off to Singapore today. You fill in the online form with addresses etc and click submit and they SMS you a QR code that you take into the post office which they scan and you then pay the postage and you're done. No standing there while they transfer the info from the squeezy form you've painstakingly filled in to their computer. It's the first time I've tried it and according to the guy at my local Auspost outlet very few people are taking advantage of it strangely! lol
I haven’t tried it-I haven’t sold anything directly for some time. Does it also allow you to apply electronically to export items valued over $2k? If so, it could be amazing.

I haven’t tried it-I haven’t sold anything directly for some time. Does it also allow you to apply electronically to export items valued over $2k? If so, it could be amazing.

I would think not! In the space where you enter the value I would imagine there will be a point where it tells you to bugger off! :LOL:

Back