Andre Kertész in Paris

Thanks for posting this. It really is interesting, especially for those who know a bit about Kertész. One thing that struck me is how he's always thinking of the light, as well as looking for the composition. Peter Turnley refers to meeting Kertész by chance in 1982 when Peter first studied and worked in Paris. He mentioned to Kertész that he had a flat with a view of Notre-Dame. Kertész was keen to see the view from Peter's balcony but once he got there felt the light wasn't good enough at that particular moment to take any photos, and he went on to talk about the importance of light. I'm reminded of this on seeing the film.

Anthony

The camera didn't matter, he was one of the greats, no question. You should see his book The Polaroids. It's a eulogy to his lifelong companion Elizabeth and heartrendingly beautiful. He had an unbelievable eye and was a master of light and composition.

Another thanks. Andre Kertesz was my first photographic crush. I was just barely a teenager when I saw some of his old Hungarian photos and that's when I really started to think people were what I wanted to use the camera I'd just been given on.

Back