Another vote of thanks to Oleg

Reid

Local time
1:06 AM
I have just collected my utterly revitalised Kiev 4a from www.okvintagecamera.com and wish to record my complete satisfaction in the hope that other 'FSU Camera' owners, especially owners living in the UK where there is a paucity of technicians prepared to work on these cameras, may benefit from my experience.

The total 'away' time was under six weeks - a surprise in these CV19 times - of which the down time with Oleg was just five days; five days for new ribbons, a complete CLA, recollimated rangefinder and various other 'corrections'.

Astonishingly rapid service and thoroughly executed such that I emerge as a most satisfied customer.

Second the motion! Oleg is personable and provides very good communications; excellent makeovers for my Zorki and Kiev with rapid turnaround. Wouldn't use anyone else.

Good to hear -- though I'm not surprised in the least. He's a terrific resource for us. Let's keep him busy (but not TOO busy!). :)

Just received a message from Oleg that he is about to return two repaired cameras to me. He has done quite a few for me the last year, and not only FSU cameras. The two I'm waiting for now is one Japanese and one Czech camera. It's always a joy to receive a serviced camera from Oleg, it's so properly done.

Check his website. It's a little hard to navigate around to find his list of cameras he works on and prices, but the information is there.

Oleg CLA'ed my Contax II and Sonnar F2. Really amazing work and I felt like he breathed new life into an almost century old camera. Everything was looked after meticulously. The world needs Oleg!

I never shot with a Russian camera but looks like a good resource to scope some out - especially arriving with a CLA already performed.

I have a Contax III that I bought here from someone who'd previously sent it to Oleg for shutter work. Still going strong after 10 years.

Last month I purchased a FED-1 from Oleg. It shipped quickly to the U.S. and was well packaged. It looks excellent cosmetically and everything functions well. Just this morning I received an email from The Darkroom telling me that they have received the film from my first roll. I will know soon enough whether there were any hidden issues that impact image quality.

Looks like his shop is kinda victim of that stupid war. Hope he and his family are ok.
He overhauled a FED3 for me. Flawless work.

Attachments

• 750_3459.jpg
    750_3459.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
I contacted him in June and he thinks it may be possible to re-open in the EU in January 2023. Let's hope all works out.

Hope he is doing well and can reopen. I ordered a HorizonT from him at the end of February. He contacted me to let me know after he checked it out again the viewfinder on it had a bad scratch and offered a refund, rebate or for him to get another one. I went with him getting another one. He got it, gave it a full CLA with new turret seals (including a spare set) and film tested it. Shipped after the invasion so it took awhile to arrive. Camera works very well and runs very smoothly.

Shawn

Let's hope that Oleg could re-open his workshop.

Would that happen in the EU, that would be wonderful: I am sure that he would increase the number of his satisfied customers.

Good technicians are becoming rare.

All the best wishes to him also from Italy/Switzerland,

Enzo (E.L.)

I look forward to reopening. I hope he could offer affordable prices for his service and cameras. But despite the pricing - having an active reliable and reputable technician is a benefit to the whole analog community.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i thoroughly endorse what has been said in previous posts and lament the appalling state of affairs in Ukraine that have caused Oleg to shut down, hopefully temporarily.

Until he re-opens, in the New Year?, can anyone suggest a Kiev repairman, preferably in the U.K. who can 'CLA' a 2a. I simply have neither the skills nor the dexterity to tackle the job myself. Yes I know the old adage that 'no one repairs a Kiev - just throw it away and buy another ' but I will not just discard a very good example that just needs a good clean and lube and one that has performed well with a known provenance, for an unknown item containing endless horrors.

Further has anyone noticed the relative paucity of examples now for sale and at what prices! Based on internet auction sites, the days of very cheap Russian cameras are well past, exacerbated by the Ukraine tragedy no doubt[/FONT]

Back