Any Classic German SLR's useable?

The VX IIa is probably the Exakta to watch for. It was made before quality went down the drain, has modern PC flash sockets, and looks gorgeous. Perhaps the most beautiful SLR ever made.
The only camera my kids have ever remarked on. Incredibly well built and a bit quirky to use but I have it for sentimental reasons. There's a CZJ Biotar 58/2 on mine.

+1 for the Exakta. I'm partial to the VX Version 1, primarily due to its beautifully curved advance lever, as well as the little switch that you flip up to rewind the film (as opposed to the VXIIa's button, which you have to hold down while you rewind the film). I started with a VXIIa when I was 13 (the model with the gorgeous embossed Exakta script), so it's a sentimental favourite of mine.

It was mentioned in an earlier post about the 1960's plastic screens fitting the older prisms -- while this is true, I don't think you can focus properly, as the plastic ones are thinner than the thicker glass ones from the 1950's. I could possibly be wrong about that though.

At one time there were more lenses made for Exakta cameras than any other camera system available, so you have no shortage of lens choices to suit a variety of budgets. The one weakness about the cameras, as was stated by others, is the tendency for shutter curtains to develop pinholes (usually the second curtain). I found the best solution was to buy something like a VX500 or VX1000 with good curtains for a cheap price, then remove them and use them in your VXIIa. I've had to do this a couple of times to help my repair guru, Frank Marshman of Camera Wiz. He has a tough time finding curtain material, so it makes his life a bit easier when I can provide him with another body with good curtains.

While they are no 'speed' cameras, Exaktas are a joy to use. And when you find a good one, hang onto it and use it!

I recently experimented with a friend's Contaflex I, from the early 1950s. Superb build quality. Somewhat difficult to load. Even came with filters. I put it through its paces, and enjoyed the results. Shot on TMAX:

8206413714_7708227514_c.jpg

8205324115_d7a54fba52_c.jpg

I've read the comments and links here regarding the Exakta with particular interest, as I've had GAS for an early Varex for quite a while.
I like quaint and quirky ( I have several Voigtlander Prominents !), so maybe I'll now get serious about adding an Exakta to my stable of fine old German classics...

One thing about the Varex -- it has a removable back. If you want one with a hinged back, better to look at the model right after that one, the VX Version 1.

@ Vince L - - - Is that ''removable back'' as in Nikon F, of which I have several and enjoy using regularly ? If so, I'm ok with that.
My main concern with regard to Exaktas is availability of spares and quality of servicing.
I note that there is an active Exakta club in my part of the world (England), so I assume spare parts and servicing considerations aren't a drawback to ownership of this quirky beast.
I'll make enquiries.
Photographic GAS is like malaria - once it's in your bloodstream you're forever smitten... !

The back removes (but not the bottom), so in a way like a Nikon F, but not quite. It just makes it more of a handful to change the film in terms of juggling multiple things in two hands (camera, back, film, takeup spool). You slide a latch on the side of the camera and the back comes right off. You need to be certain, however, that when you put the back on the camera, that you catch the groove around the rewind knob on the bottom of the camera. If you don't, you'll end up with a nice light leak from the rewind knob not being properly secured! This is why I personally like the VX Version 1 -- it has essentially the same aesthetic of the Varex, but the hinged back makes life a bit easier.

As far as servicing and parts go, the cameras are generally inexpensive, so any parts can usually be gotten from other camera bodies. My repair fellow here in the U.S is Frank Marshman/Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA, and he tells me that Exaktas are very easy to work on. Just this year he did a CLA on two Exakta bodies of mine, and replaced the curtains in another, so I can't imagine that service would be an issue. As you mention, the Exakta club would definitely be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice, Vince !
The next step for me is to actually handle an Exakta and see if it floats my photographic boat.
This thread has certainly awakened my dormant desire for an Exakta, which was originally sparked some years ago by an article by Ivor Matanle.
One good thing about them is that they're a damned sight cheaper than Leicas...

It was mentioned in an earlier post about the 1960's plastic screens fitting the older prisms -- while this is true, I don't think you can focus properly, as the plastic ones are thinner than the thicker glass ones from the 1950's. I could possibly be wrong about that though.!

The way the Exakta is engineered the thickness of the screen is inconsequential to focussing. The view through the prism may be slightly off, but the actual focus on the screen itself will be accurate. The WLF screen is a 20mm thick slab of glass for example.

Thanks for the clarification -- I haven't actually tried a plastic screen in an older prism, and I thought I had read something in the Aguila and Rouah book about that combination not focusing properly. My mistake.

If I have a chance, I'll try to post a few shots of the VX Version 1 to give folks unfamiliar with Exakta an idea of what it looks like and its features.

Gotta say though, I do like the looks of that Edixa Prismaflex!

I was just checking on eBay the prices of Exakta cameras, and they're really all over the place. As low as $19 for a non-working body, and all the way up to $400 for a complete camera with is original box and paperwork.

Does anyone have any experience with the RTL 1000? I've always been curious about that one.

Does anyone have any experience with the RTL 1000? I've always been curious about that one.

That one is a Praktica L with Exakta mount (and a extra left hand release button to be able to actuate the Exakta aperture levers). It did away with the pre war legacies of the Exakta and Praktiflex. The brick shape was modern for its time, but in terms of versatility, ergonomics and reliability it did not really make it past the Petri/Miranda/Edixa class of lower end interchangeable finder SLRs. It sold solidly for a couple of years as Exakta had been pretty much the standard for microscope attachment cameras, but the decreasing number of later lenses is a clear sign that its only market was as a replacement body for existing kits - for all other purposes, M42 had taken over.

The other (West German) end of Exakta evolution was a failure as well - the Exakta Real did not do away with the quirkiness of the original but merely added further obfuscation (with bizarre features like a right hand wind lever for a left side takeup spool and a second front plate release) so that the result was much less reliable than the original, at a price that could not even compete with the German rivals, let alone the Japanese. They soon quit production and had regular Petri and Cosina (or Chinon?) bodies fit with a Exakta bayonet.

If you ask me, the only evolution from the Exakta to crave for are the original Topcon RE series cameras - the German attempts in many ways failed to improve on the original.

The RTL is basically a typical 1970s all mechanical entry level SLR. The only thing really setting it apart from other budget SLRs are the interchangeable viewfinders, and the extra long slow shutter speeds - up to 8 seconds. It is not close to 1950s Exaktas for quality, but it is IMO a better made camera than the VX1000/500. Aside from right handed operation, another advantage is a vertical metal shutter is used. If you have a collection of Exakta lenses but don't want to deal with the quirks of the older models, the RTL is probably the best way to use them. Beware though that you need a small metal pin to allow the left handed automatic lenses to trigger the shutter on the RTL, and it is usually missing.

Check out flickr and you'll find lots of people still use them. Pentacon later removed the long exposure speeds, and swapped in an M42 mount to make the Praktica VLC.

Just to confirm : a modern screen does work with an older prism :). I took pictures with this combo.

And seriously, the lenses can be good and sometime pricey : the price of a Biotar 75 1.5 seems to climb these days.

For the price : I found a Vx + 58 biotar , clean and working, for EUR90 (from a collector who knew what he was selling). But I repeat, beware of the curtains.

Just to confirm : a modern screen does work with an older prism :). I took pictures with this combo.

And seriously, the lenses can be good and sometime pricey : the price of a Biotar 75 1.5 seems to climb these days.

For the price : I found a Vx + 58 biotar , clean and working, for EUR90 (from a collector who knew what he was selling). But I repeat, beware of the curtains.
Any bright ideas on fixing them? The ones on my IIa are distinctly pious (holy). Superb condition otherwise, with the prism that also incorporates both a (non-ttl) meter and an optical finder.

Cheers,

R.

Yes, there is a possible Band-Aid solution, short of replacing them: A black fabric marker. They are the kind that you can get in a crafts store, and they are meant to be used on t-shirts. It takes patience and a good backlight to make sure you get all the pinholes, but I've done this and it seems to work. How permanent this fix is, I can't say. I actually managed to patch all the holes on two Reflex Korelle curtains (6x6), and the fix was light-tight.

Here is a link to an example of the markers I'm talking about : http://www.markersupply.com/madema2.html

The name of the marker I used is Marvy Decofabric. In black of course!

A Classic German SLR - The Plaubel Makiflex Standard

A Classic German SLR - The Plaubel Makiflex Standard

Been working on my Plaubel Makiflexes recently. Just acquired a 2x3" Makiflex Back that takes 2x3 Graphic-type (USA) cut film holders.

This is fun stuff. Yesterday I took it out (loaded) with a few accessories and extra lens and backs/holders and it all fits into an old Domke F2 Bag.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
This is fun stuff. Yesterday I took it out (loaded) with a few accessories and extra lens and backs/holders and it all fits into an old Domke F2 Bag.

Does it? Never tried to fit mine in a bag - it is so very much a studio device (and just as big and even heavier than the 9x12 Primar Reflex). The good news about mine is that over the course of this summer (when I had been heavily using it for children portraits) the shutter decided to return to functional state even for the 1/500s, which had been capping ever since I got it.

Does it? Never tried to fit mine in a bag - it is so very much a studio device (and just as big and even heavier than the 9x12 Primar Reflex). The good news about mine is that over the course of this summer (when I had been heavily using it for children portraits) the shutter decided to return to functional state even for the 1/500s, which had been capping ever since I got it.

Hey, That's Cool. I have this one, and two Automatic Makiflexes. They all work, although one has a sticky shutter. It also seems to be freeing up with use:D

Here is my Standard Makiflex in it's F2 Domke Traveling Bag. It's not too bad to carry around, actually. I have 15 6x9 Makina Holders in the large plastic Ziploc in the outer left pocket.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
I have the Contaflex and the Contarex and the Voigtlaender. These are all excellent cameras with excellent lenses. Of course, the Leica R camera, which I do not own anymore, is also great.

Back