Any experiences: Magicflex focusing screens + Rolleiflex?

Rolleifred

Local time
2:59 PM
Hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade the original (dim and very scratched, with split-level finder) plastic screen on my Rolleiflex 3.5f with something more modern and snazzy, in the hope of increasing my focal hit rate.

Obviously a Maxwell screen is the dream, although the price and apparent difficulty of contacting Bill Maxwell (especially as I’m in the UK) more or less rules this out. Beattie are hard to find, and I’m somewhat intrigued by Oleson but am leaning towards the idea of a screen without focal aids.

Then I came across the screens sold at Magicflex Camera, which look potentially very promising and Maxwell-ish - but I can find very little written about them online, other than a couple of people singing their praises on Reddit, and one person on another who says they found it very hard to focus.

Does anyone have any experience of using these with their Rolleiflex? I’m particularly interested in what is billed as the ‘Pro ultra bright screen’, which would represent a considerable saving over a Maxwell screen - but is a lot to spend on something that very few people seem to have actually used/commented on.

Sidenote: any thoughts about switching from a screen with grid lines/split focusing to a screen with no lines or focal aids?

Thanks!

Hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade the original (dim and very scratched, with split-level finder) plastic screen on my Rolleiflex 3.5f with something more modern and snazzy, in the hope of increasing my focal hit rate.

Obviously a Maxwell screen is the dream, although the price and apparent difficulty of contacting Bill Maxwell (especially as I’m in the UK) more or less rules this out. Beattie are hard to find, and I’m somewhat intrigued by Oleson but am leaning towards the idea of a screen without focal aids.

Then I came across the screens sold at Magicflex Camera, which look potentially very promising and Maxwell-ish - but I can find very little written about them online, other than a couple of people singing their praises on Reddit, and one person on another who says they found it very hard to focus.

Does anyone have any experience of using these with their Rolleiflex? I’m particularly interested in what is billed as the ‘Pro ultra bright screen’, which would represent a considerable saving over a Maxwell screen - but is a lot to spend on something that very few people seem to have actually used/commented on.

Sidenote: any thoughts about switching from a screen with grid lines/split focusing to a screen with no lines or focal aids?

Thanks!
No experience with Magicflex, but the Oleson Brightscreen works very well. He offers your choice of focusing aids (or none), likewise with grid lines. Here in the US, he charges $100, flat rate, no shipping charges. Screens are available for a huge number of older cameras, but be aware that some will need shimming. Screens for the Rollei will not.

No experience with Magicflex, but the Oleson Brightscreen works very well. He offers your choice of focusing aids (or none), likewise with grid lines. Here in the US, he charges $100, flat rate, no shipping charges. Screens are available for a huge number of older cameras, but be aware that some will need shimming. Screens for the Rollei will not.
Yeah, Oleson definitely seeming like the safer option at the moment. But on his screen without the focusing aid (BrightScreen MAT, I believe?) what is the function of the central 13mm circle?

Yeah, Oleson definitely seeming like the safer option at the moment. But on his screen without the focusing aid (BrightScreen MAT, I believe?) what is the function of the central 13mm circle?
Not sure, but this was a common practice with older cameras. The central circle gave a clear matte spot to focus, unobstructed by any Fresnel lines, etc. My Bronica S2A is like that, as is my Mamiya C3, to name a couple. This dates back to a time before focusing aids on the screen were the norm.
Mr. Oleson is a friendly and helpful chap, quite willing to answer your questions quickly and professionally.

Every 3.5F I've owned had excellent screens - at least compared to the preceding models. There's a knack for focusing on ground glass, basicall you need to zoom past the point of focus, zoom in just past focus and then back out to perfect focus. You have to do this quickly and when get it right the sweet spot just pops out.

Every 3.5F I've owned had excellent screens - at least compared to the preceding models. There's a knack for focusing on ground glass, basicall you need to zoom past the point of focus, zoom in just past focus and then back out to perfect focus. You have to do this quickly and when get it right the sweet spot just pops out.
My 'Cord III is like that too (it has an Oleson screen as well). I also like to use the magnifier but that's personal preference.

Back