Any issues w/ a Canon 7S?

wrs1145

A native Texan looking for the light.
Local time
5:50 PM
I've tentatively decided to buy one of these and have informed my wife. Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

Many thanks,
Bill

I think the light meter is the only trouble point, check it if you can (of course don't expect it to be too accurate even if it is responsive).

NIce cameras, but as stated above, the old light meter may not be accurate. Also, the model 7 does not have an accesory shoe (the 7s does). Sorry, I should have read OP mmore closely. I agree that the 7s has a CdS cell as pointed out by zeitz!

Last edited:
The 7S did not have a selenium cell light meter. It had a CdS cell. With the right voltage battery, my 7S meter works accurately.

I have had a plain 7 and it was a good camera bar the meter which shouldn't be a problem for you. If the shutter is good, you'll be fine.

That said, IIRC you have a Canon P? I'd prefer it and my Sekonic L-308 to any 7. May I ask why you feel the need to change?

Yes, if the shutter is good. I have one for which the shutter cocking/film winding mechanism is faulty so it will not cock the shutter. I highly doubt this is a common problem, but be sure to check this.

Much is made of wrinkled shutter curtains on the 7 and 7s (and the P), but I don't think those interfere with the operation of the shutter.

Nah, I prefer one with wrinkles. They don't hurt but people will sell a camera cheaper because of them ;)

I had a 7 where the metal shutter failed. It detached/tore from the leading bar and then bent inside the track. Shame as otherwise the camera was in excellent condition.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments regarding the meter. I definitely want the CDS meter in the 7S.

Last edited:
Back