Any Minolta SLR lens users , A7, A7r, A7s?

eleskin

Well-known
Local time
6:49 AM
I have a few Minolta MD lenses and have been pleasantly surprised by how well they perform on my A7r. In fact, my MC Rokkor X 50mm f1.4 , 28mm f2.8 MD and 35mm f1.7 are shocking me in terms of tone, resolution, shadow detail, etc,,. I am even contemplating buying the LA-EA4 and getting a few Maxxum lenses for AF as a cheaper alternative to buying brand new Sony lenses (I love the Zeiss lenses, buy I have to watch money right now). So who here is using MD lenses, af Maxxum lenses with the LA-EA4, etc,,,. All are welcome to share any information and images you have.

I'm using an LE-A4 with the Minolta AF 28/2, 100/2, and 200/2.8 on my A7r. I also use the Sony Zeiss 24/2 and the Sony 85/2.8.

The Minolta 28/2 is very good, nice resolution and rendering. There's quite a bit of light falloff. I'm selling mine, but only because I just picked up the Zeiss 24.

The Minolta 100/2 is a brilliant lens in almost all respects. It does have an issue with flare that you need to keep in mind. A hood is a good idea.

The Minolta 200/2.8 is also an excellent lens.

I just picked up the Zeiss 24 and so far I am happy with the lens. I've noticed a few for sale recently at quite reasonable prices.

The Sony 85/2.8 SAM is a nice lens, especially considering the price. It's cheaply made, with a plastic mount, but very light as a result. The IQ is very good.

CVickery
I am mumbling to buy the LE-A4.
I have many Minolta AF (which I used with the Maxxum 9) including the 100 and the 200 2.8.
I am concerned about the weight of the 200, which has no tripod attachment.
Have you had any trouble due to the weight using this lens with LE-A4?
How about autofocus efficiency?
Did you see any loss in resolution due to the translucent mirror?

The LE-A4 has a tripod attachment.
The Minolta AF 200/2.8 weighs just 790 grams, it isn't heavy - I know people who used the Sony 70-300G (760 grams) on their A7, here is a picture.

The AF is from the Sony SLT cameras, it should be as fast as your Maxxum 9 - and both the 100/2 and 200/2.8 are fast focussing lenses.

If you want more information, you probably can get more information over on Dyxum.com.

CVickery
I am mumbling to buy the LE-A4.
I have many Minolta AF (which I used with the Maxxum 9) including the 100 and the 200 2.8.
I am concerned about the weight of the 200, which has no tripod attachment.
Have you had any trouble due to the weight using this lens with LE-A4?
How about autofocus efficiency?
Did you see any loss in resolution due to the translucent mirror?

Addy101 pretty much said it all, with the exception of the final question with regard to the translucent mirror. Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare to, so it's only possible to say I'm satisfied with my results.

I know very well that the LE-A4 has tripod attachment.
BTW in the photo the camera with 70-300G attached is a NEX 7
Indeed I also have a NEX 7.
Certainly one risks much less using a NEX 7 to attach heavy lens
Thank you anyway for the reassuring comments

I use the following Minolta lenses on a Fuji X Pro 1.
MD 24 f2.8, MD 28 f2
MD 35 f1.8
MD 50 f1.2
and the 135 f2
Wonderful color and rendering. A joy to shoot with and very inexpensive. These were Minolta's top performers / professional lenses back in the mid to late 70's.

R0001418.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the IQ from NEX-3, though I do prefer the EVF, the NEX-6 AND NEX-7 are becoming more affordable all the time, when the A7000 comes out their prices should drop significantly.

My full list of Rokkor lenses:
-MC W.NL 21/2.8
-MC W.SI 28/2.5
-MC HH 35/1.8
-MC HG 35/2.8
-MC QF 50/3.5 Macro & 1:1 converter.
-MC PG 58/1.2
-MC PF 58/1.4
-MC PF 85/1.7
-MC PF 135/2.8
-MD X 28/2(EF mount conversion)

Back