Any other Canon EOS M50 owners here?

DougK

This space left blank
Local time
9:14 AM
I just bought one along with the 15-45 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens as a belated Christmas present to myself. I love how the camera feels in my hand, but I'm struggling with the zoom lens. I'm hoping the birthday fairy will bring the Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens which should give me a close digital equivalent to my long-departed Bessa R. I haven't had many chances to play with it so far, but I think it'll be a great camera once I get the settings dialed in.

All this is a long way of saying I would love to hear from other folks about any tips, tricks and experiences they have regarding this camera. Photos are welcome, too!

EDIT: Mods, if I put this in the wrong forum please move to the appropriate location, thanks!

I had the M6 for a bit. The kit zoom is hit or miss, is the general consensus. Mine was quite decent sharpness-wise but was decentered; the left side of the shot was not as good as the right. Got the 22mm as soon as I could. For the price, the 22mm is great. Also had the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Very nice lens: sharp, very well made. Visible distortion, awkward size.

I found the M6 a bit heavy for its size and the ergonomics were tight. Canon menus are great. The M6 didn't correct distortion in camera (not a worry with the 22mm) nor was it possible to set a min shutter speed using auto ISO (sin after sin!). I think the M50 has later software so might not have these problems. Small annoyances regardless.

The files out of the camera were fine. If you like wides, the 11-22 zoom is one of the best deals going. Highly regarded and very affordable.

I can correct lens distortion in DPP4 so that's not a big deal. I'm also glad to hear that the 22mm lens is good. My kit lens seems to be OK optically but I will be happy to get back to shooting with a prime; 35mm equivalent seems to be my photographic sweet spot (as much as I'd like to be a 50mm guy, the truth is most of my best stuff is on the wider end).

I'm not a 50mm person by any stretch, but the eos-m 32mm 1.4 is supposed to be a very good lens indeed, and it matches the smaller aesthetic of the M line better than the Sigma 30mm.

The birthday fairy did indeed bring a Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens, so I'm super excited to get out and play with it!

Interesting. I bought an M6 Mk II with the EF adaptor to take over bird/plane duties from my m-4/3 camera, but I'd like a normal lens for the occasional family outing. I'll enjoy seeing your results with this lens.

It's closer to a 35mm lens (in 35mm terms) than a normal lens, but it performed really well on some test shots today. I still need to dial in the settings on the camera itself to get the best raw quality to work with, but so far it's very good if not excellent. I think we're going to get along fine.

Back