Anybody own an M10 Monochrom?

It may be off-topic for this thread, but it's friends sharing... I too had both eyes de-cataract-ed some years ago, each eye two years apart, which I gather is less common. And the new lens for each eye is set to best focus at a different distance, something to get used to but ultimately more useful.

It works well enough that I was able to pass the drivers license renewal test eye-exam without glasses for the first time ever. Still, I notice less acuity in low light, so night-driving needs glasses. Once the eyes settle down from the surgical operation, one will likely/inevitably need to arrange new eye-glasses to make best use of the new vision situation.

But being naturally left-eyed I find it now generally better to use the camera (sans variable diopter) right-eyed, easier to focus well. So when/if I get an M10-M I'll need to continue practicing right-eyed shooting! And it's very nice to use the camera without bothering with glasses...

Robert,

My eyes are pretty messed up. I had cataract surgery and corneal transplants on both eyes. I am not sure if that’s the cause but I have poor night vision and don’t drive in city traffic at night. I have trouble with manual focusing film SLR and surprisingly also live view peak focusing. Live view magnification takes too long for street photography so I am stuck with traditional rangefinders which isn’t bad at all!

The beauty of rangefinders. I have 20/200 vision in my right eye and never had a problem focusing a RF because focusing sharpness has nothing to with it. You just gotta bring those two images together. Now with 20/200 vision in one eye (and cataracts) I can still focus my Leica's. I sort of down to zone focusing with my Rolleiflexes.

The beauty of rangefinders. I have 20/200 vision in my right eye and never had a problem focusing a RF because focusing sharpness has nothing to with it. You just gotta bring those two images together. Now with 20/200 vision in one eye (and cataracts) I can still focus my Leica's. I sort of down to zone focusing with my Rolleiflexes.

My primary camera is a Rolleiflex 3.5F and have no trouble with focusing. The flip up magnifier is so close to the ground glass I can always find a point of focus. But then I tend to take my time with the Rollei but shoot fast with 135 format. The RF is good for that but f1.4 lenses will give me trouble.

Back