Anyone else lost w/Leica digital M cameras names??

"What Porsche 911 do you have?"

"I have a 993. What about you?"

"Mine is a 991. One day I plan to pick up and old 964 an restore it, I just love those older 3.6 liter models."

"I have a 997 on order!"

That's a very good example because the numbering scheme of all the 911 models is completely without an order. And you even have product modifications and enhancements within a certain submodel. And even though it is without any logic, all people who are interested in a 911 know exactly what they are talking about. And all the major car selling websites have filter options for the 911 submodels

Hi,

As I see it there's a lot of sense and more sales by being logical. If I have used a model 2 for years then wonder about something more up-to-date I'd look first for a model 4 or 5 (regardless of what we are talking about).

But I might be disappointed and wonder why the 4 is inferior and not think to look for a model 1b which the fool's have named the latest variation...

Having a range of model names for a certain range, then a number for (say) the engine size and letters for the standard of luxury or tuning makes sense for cars and sells them.

Anyway, it's just my 2d worth based on my idea that people ought to encourage sales, fund R&D and Pensions, f'instance.

Regards, David

PS I think Porsche is not a good example as it's a niche market fuelled by enthusiasts and high power salesmen/women.

..and don't get me started on Leica lens hoods names; you have the FISON and FIZON, and the FIKUS and the FOOKH, the SOOBK and the SOOHN, and the SOOPD and the SOOFM, the IUFOO and the IWKOO, the ITDOO and the HKMOO...and so on and so on.

This is yet another point to ask Oliver Kaltner about when we will be in Wetzlar.
"Why ..."?

Anyway, it's just my 2d worth based on my idea that people ought to encourage sales, fund R&D and Pensions, f'instance.

Worth more than 2d. It's common practice with camera model names to have a letter (D, F)/short name (FM, XPro) and a number. Successing model is usually Mark II ala. Canon, Sony, Pentax, or growing numbers like Nikon, Fuji, Olympus.

Just a name of course, am not having sleepless nights worrying about this, but worth least few raised eyebrows.

There is a great advantage to the Leitz 5-alpha codes, which date back to Telex communication for orders. Search the Web on OUBIO and you will find exactly what you are looking for. Search on 16466 and you'll have a hopeless mess.

..and don't get me started on Leica lens hoods names; you have the FISON and FIZON, and the FIKUS and the FOOKH, the SOOBK and the SOOHN, and the SOOPD and the SOOFM, the IUFOO and the IWKOO, the ITDOO and the HKMOO...and so on and so on.

You left out my favorite, the IROOA hood! :rolleyes:

I think it's a mess, and I think they want it to be a mess. I went to something on Leica's site once that claimed it was a "compare" link, and all it went to was more mess. If they wanted to make it clear, they'd make a chart as every other company on the face of the earth seems to be able to do. . . you know, like with columns of features vs models, and check marks. I won't hazard a guess why they don't, but it's such an obvious device in comparison shopping that if they haven't provided it by now, it's either massively incompetent, or intentional. Based on what people have said about them over they years, I vote incompetence, though.

http://www.laptopcomparisonchart.com/acer-laptop-comparison

We left out the model 250 which isn't an improvement on the 240 but a pre-war film camera for scientists or reporters.

Now we ought to start a rant or moan about the lens' names as the rumour that the lens' name also gave the aperture size was knocked on the head by the varieties of Elmar (ought to be ƒ/3.5) and the Summar (ought to be ƒ/2) and so on.

Regards, David

No, I'm not lost. As somebody else noted, the number is the sensor technology, the letters the kind of camera it is. Easy. If you want to know more, just go to the Leica website for current models.

One thing about comparison websites, somebody gave us a link to a laptop comparison site. Useless. It showed the processors, like i5, but it didn't tell us if it was a 2015 i5-6600k or a 2012 i5-2500....

Cars, processors, cameras, all are the same. It is what it is.

Whether Leica’s digital model numbering is intentional or due to marketing incompetence I have no idea.

I just feel discombobulated.

Perhaps with the fast pace of digital rot and new models appearing seemingly overnight, Leica’s illogical numbering simply reflects models which were designated in development to follow each other, some of which were later scrapped and never made it to the public, thereby leaving odd numbering gaps that now bear no progressive relationship to each other.

I think Leica has consult to Fengshui expert for new camera name.
Got suggestion from them; Pls avoid M10, M11, M12 , not lucky number.

Then Leica find other number M240 (2+4+0=6)
"THE MOUNTAIN STAR 6 brings lovely harmony luck and is excellent for spreading calm and happiness within the home"

~ron~

Last edited:
Back