Anyone getting the 58mm 0.95?

99% of my photographs are f/8-f/16, so no....!

I once owned both the Summilux 35mm and 50mm - I had them for 6 years but never shot below about f/4, let alone f/1.4. (Still, good investments though: bought in 2006 for about £500 each, sold in 2012 for £1000 each!)

Too large and too expensive. It's about boasting power as much as anything else. F1.4 is about as wide as one needs to go these days and even then F2 is enough.

Interesting, because better AF-Performance was not mentioned by Nikon in the FW-desription and I'm quite confident they would if they improved the AF.

Regarding the initial question, no interest in this lens. Instead I would use my 50/1.2 AI-S with adapter. Love the f1.2 for environmental full body portraits, but shoot other stuff mostly at f2-f2.8 where imho this lens shines like no other 50mm lens from Nikon. This was the initial reason to buy it, not the f1.2 possibility.

Juergen

I have the 50 1.2 ais and it does not match up to modern lenses like my Sigma Art 50 1.4 when used on my z7. Colour, contrast, sharpness etc. But it is still v nice on film.

Many users have reported improved af perf in AF-C mode. Perhaps Nikon did not mention it as they do not want to admit it may have needed work ?:eek:

I'm all for fast primes. Love the look, it's fast becoming part of my style and one of my favourite photographers really rocks that look too...to each their own but it's nice to have 0.95 even if you don't use it. You can stop down!

Manual focus is no big deal, you've got focus peaking which is probably as good or better, really. I just find it funny that a camera company brags that their new camera is the fastest AF they've ever created, and the one lens that's actually interesting from the new crop is...manual focus!

Too large and too expensive. It's about boasting power as much as anything else. F1.4 is about as wide as one needs to go these days and even then F2 is enough.

Wide enough for your uses? But not others. It’s about light gathering for astro photography and subject isolation in full length portraiture.

I'm all for fast primes. Love the look, it's fast becoming part of my style and one of my favourite photographers really rocks that look too...to each their own but it's nice to have 0.95 even if you don't use it. You can stop down!

Manual focus is no big deal, you've got focus peaking which is probably as good or better, really. I just find it funny that a camera company brags that their new camera is the fastest AF they've ever created, and the one lens that's actually interesting from the new crop is...manual focus!

The mf bit is kinda strange. The lens has a digital panel w DOF readouts so
perhaps Nikon has a very specific use for it in mind?

Back