Other Areas Anyone in Missouri/Illinois midwest?

wayne - unfortunately i didn't get my bessa until right about then.

i looked through both you guys' galleries - some very nice work!

A bit (quite a bit) North from you... in DeKalb, IL, glorious campustown 65 miles W. from Chicago.

Any good camera stores in St. Louis?

well, there's nothing like B&H here, unfortunately. There are 2 reputable places in town, Schillers and Creve Coeur Camera, but the former is the best in terms of prices, service, and old stuff. If i can get something close to the cost of internet, i usually will then buy from Schillers. Of course, they still leave a lot to be desired in terms of their inventory.

2 people in Iowa and not another person in my small neck of the woods...:(

stephanie, by the sounds of your post on addiction, the lack of camera shops in your area might not be a bad thing! :p

Stephanie... how far are you from Iowa City? Because they have a fairly decent store: University Camera.

As for this town... it's a blessing there's nothing! :)

Hi, I'm in Norman, Oklahoma. We have one decent camera store, Epperson Photo, which develops my prints, slides, and MF stuff. I've never even priced Voigtlanders because their prices are for new stuff are too high, including film. I order film from Adorama. Cheers.

Hey, don't know how I've been missin' this thread. Anyway, another Illinois here from Rockford town. Grew up just north of Van B though! Like Rockford and St. Louis, Ft. Smith/Van Buren is a good place for river shots.

Through St. Louis a couple of weeks ago via Amtrak (I love clunky old cameras and clunky old trains. Guess they fit clunky old me.) Anyway, the good ol' Texas Eagle broke down for two hours and gave me opportunity to step off and grab this shot. I guess two hours sitting in a dead train... just kinda how I felt. Actually I really like St. Louis.

;)

I'm a bit late with this, but I'm almost two hours away from Iowa City. It's road trip time when I want to go there.

Anyhow, I think I've found a place that may be able to get me what I wanted. I'll see.

I live in a small suberb of Indianapolis called Oaklandon. I was born in St. Charles, Missouri and raised on a farm at Troy. Troy is about 55 miles NW of St. Louis. We have a couple of good camera stores here. Robert's is the largest and Cord Camera is probably next. Muncie has Jack's Camera and that is pretty nice.
I bought a Leica IIIf black dial a year or more ago, took it abroad with me and the shutter started failing. I sent the little camera to DAG for an overhaul and have begun to use it again. I have fallen in love with it. I have a 5 CM 3.5 collapsing Elmar that I am shooting with and like everyone else I lust after more lenses for it. I have other cameras, Canon T-90, EOS RT, 500CM Hassy, Super Wide Camera by Hassy, and a few others. I am planing on retiring next year and hopefully will have more time to devote to this hobby. I would like to get a Leica M and perhaps a Leica IIIG to play with. It is good to hear from all of you. Tom

I grew up in Highland, IL and moved Edwardsville, IL after High School. I'm currently living in San Francisco, but will be making a trip home at the end of August for a week or so. I'd be interested in meeting up then.

Dave

ent2b said:
Anyone else in this area, especially St. Louis?

I used to live in St Louis, back in another life :) early teens. Right off Loughborough and Morganford, if you know where that is. South side.

There seem to be a number of St Louis people on America Photography Forum (www.americanphotographyforum.com) although that site does not seem to be too active lately.

Thanks dmr. i know exactly where you are talking about! and not too far from Ted Drewe's! :D

thanks for the heads up on APF...however, it's a bit too conservative for my tastes. I prefer and am a mod over at stlphotoforum.com . however, i am the only RF shooter there... :(

Back