Anyone inspired to photograph after watching a movie

I see last Year at Marienbad gets a mention along with Manhattan. Both of these are coming to the Australian city I live in. I have seen both but will watch them again.

Antonioni's L'eclisse" much inspired me also.

It's not a movie, but I'm constantly impressed by the cinematography in the TV show 'Breaking Bad'. It's wide, panning shots of suburban America are reminiscent of colour art photography. I believe the cinematographers have won multiple prizes for their work on the show as well.

I also love the photography in this series, which is filmed in my hometown of Albuquerque, NM. They do a great job of handling the harsh outdoor lighting found here in the high desert. It's fun to watch the series and spot areas around town that your recognize (like the little building that gets its windows blown out by explosives in the first season is actually the downtown coffee shop Java Joe's).

~Joe

Usually sweeping dramas/epics with 1920-1955 historical setting. Coming to mind:

Empire of the Sun
The Lives of Others
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Big Fish

Another vote for the Third Man, I just watched it for the first time and the B&W lighting for the night shots, close in, wide and off kilter were great. Now I watch movies from anther perspective, paying more attention for what I would see as a series of still shots.

2046 - directed by Wong Kar Wai, cinematography by Christopher Doyle. One of the singular most stunningly shot films in colour i have ever seen, in richness and depth its just beautiful.

also the cinematographer of hero which is another brilliant piece of camera work.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex, besides being a great film, has many scenes of reportage photography with a Leica, an Agfa Rapid, a 8mm movie camera and loads of SLRs with flashguns.

i would recommend strongly the 1966 film "le deuxième souffle" of jean-pierre melville, one of the best french gangster films of all time. i'm sure those who have liked "à bout de souffle" (breathless) of jean-luc godard will adore it.

but please avoid the recent remake of daniel auteuil. with awful actors such as monica bellucci the film can never go anywhere.

Back