Anyone prefer the Bessa R to later models?

The R has a self-timer. Self-timers rock.

Indeed! Glad I am not the only one that thinks a self-timer is an important feature.

I love my little Bessa R. Cheap and cheerful, just heaps of fun. Like the Bessa R2 as well. I have an R3M, while I like the 1.1 finder, I prefer the finders of the R & R2. Anyone else notice that the change in design resulted in the frame-lines moving separately from the RF patch unlike the R & R2.

The Bessa R with a set of CV LTM lenses just makes you want to take pictures.

In my mind Bessa R equipped with a nice 50mm lens like Canon 50mm/1.8 makes an epitome of a good value for money rangefinder setup.

exactly in those two ways! you don't loose anythink by getting a R2 instead of a R (bit heavier maybe...).

Think you forgot about the self-timer...

I have owned both... there is something endearing about the Bessa R... I just should not make as good a photographs as it does. Seems to defy the laws of cheapness and plastic. But the Bessa R2 is also a great camera in it own right.

In my mind Bessa R equipped with a nice 50mm lens like Canon 50mm/1.8 makes an epitome of a good value for money rangefinder setup.

It is real shame that Cosina never made a modern, compact LTM 50/2 for the Bessa R. The 50/2.5 is nice, but a little slow for an al-round lens. If Cosina reintroduced the Bessa R with a matching 50/2, sold as a set, it would be a good seller.

I don't care for the design of the R3 cameras. In an effort to make it look more like the old Leica screw mounts, they made a handsome camera ugly by chopping off the one side of the top deck. Of course, most people don't share that opinion.

I wholeheartedly share your opinion. I prefer automatic exposure, but that olive R2 is just the sexiest piece of metal, so I went for it. :D

Think you forgot about the self-timer...

...snip...

It is real shame that Cosina never made a modern, compact LTM 50/2 for the Bessa R. The 50/2.5 is nice, but a little slow for an al-round lens. If Cosina reintroduced the Bessa R with a matching 50/2, sold as a set, it would be a good seller.

Agreed. I find that a Jupiter 8 on a Bessa R approaches the ideal in size and speed, but it would be nice to have click-stops and at times a shorter focus throw.

nice cheap lenses

nice cheap lenses

I like all the screw mount lenses available for my R but, I primarily use my R4m since I wear glasses.

Agreed. I find that a Jupiter 8 on a Bessa R approaches the ideal in size and speed, but it would be nice to have click-stops and at times a shorter focus throw.
In my limited but growing Bessa R experience, I have to agree with the lens selection, but I'm already appreciating the advantages of TTL metering and a continuous aperture adjustment so I'm not in favour of the click-stops. Being able to quickly fine-tune the aperture at less than whole-stop intervals is great. Click-stops are a lot more useful with separate metering or sunny-16.

The self-timer of Bessa R was essential in this photograph...

5041403176_0ab556d448_b.jpg

Bessa R | Voigtländer Color-Heliar 75mm f2.5 | Efke KB25 | Rodinal 1:50

I had a Bessa R as my first serious rangefinder. It served a purpose for a while, but I started to grow tired of its lightweight plastics and limit of only LTM lenses. If you can get over that, it's a rangefinder and a really good price.

I bought a year (and half) ago a Bessa R2A. Then about two months I also have a Bessa R, bought used. I am surprised by the quality of this camera: great meter, very solid and easy to handle (even if there is enough plastic). Now I can use the R2A with VC 35/2.5 mm (M mount) and Bessa R with Jupiter 3, 8 and 9. Excellent pair of cameras...

Back