Anyone switched back from Fuji X-System to DSLR?

Honestly, my experience was just the opposite.

After a few weeks I realized the FUJINON 10-24/4 lens was superior to the Nikon 16-35. When I had to shoot a residence exterior facing the sun, the Fujinon exhibited much lower levels of ghosting and flare. I also noticed the interior images required much less work to minimize perceived distortions common with very wide angles of view. For a ~100 degree field-of-view (12mm and 18mm respectively for APSC and FX) this difference was significant.

Nothing to do with what the OP was looking for, but I just wanted to add as I have a time or two before, that back in the mid-70s I found the same with a Fujinon 28mm f/3.5. Looking directly into the sun, I had to search had to find any flare. Amazing lenses imho.

Timely discussion for me. I went from a full Canon system to a all Fuji about 6 years ago mainly to save weight. At the time, and for 20+ years prior, I was doing a lot of editorial travel work, mostly for airline mags. That has changed. I now shoot architectire and group portraits which would benefit from a larger than APS-C sensor. I tried Sony, an A7II and didn't really like it. In fact, I don't like any of the mirrorless full frame options. Only Sony is ready for prime time. Now, I notice that the Nikon D750 is well discounted. I would need 2 bodies, a zoom, and 2 fast primes, much less than I used to travel with. One drawback I could use opinions on, is the D750 flipdown LCD useable for focusing reasonably fast? Any others considering going from Fuji X to D750?

NO! The Live View function of the D750 is glacially slow. Pretty much worthless IMHO.

Thanks PhotoMat. That's a deal breaker for me. Is the Nikon D850 any better in this regard? Being tall, I've become hooked on the flip down LCD. And the Fuji XT2 flips vertically too, great for portraits. I have a feeling that I'll circle around the various brands/models and just stick with Fuji, work on improving my post skills.

Thanks for your input. What I noticed is that the D700 needs zero time to wake up and is already shooting. Focusing is spot on 99% of the time with the D700. Even at ISO 6,400 the D700 images are crisp - contrary to Fuji (specially the X100F) where one can see some fuzziness and bad noise even at ISO 3,200. Last but not least, the build of the D700! Oh my, it feels like one is holding a real camera, and I even don't have really big hands. But all of this is just my personal perception.

I'll confess that I was disappointed in the X-trans sensor over the Bayer sensor in the X100. Even now it has issues in Lightroom. I got Capture One for Fuji with my new camera and I'll have to see if it is any better.

Being one of the last of the Luddites and living in a small town without a real camera store, I have only seen a proper DSLR from a distance. When I bought a digital it was a little Fuji because, of course, it seemed like the right thing to do, but the price of an original Canon 5D or similar Nikon is awfully tempting these days. They look like incredible value to me. I could keep a few lenses, dump a bunch of cameras and still have more than I will ever need.

Being one of the last of the Luddites and living in a small town without a real camera store, I have only seen a proper DSLR from a distance. When I bought a digital it was a little Fuji because, of course, it seemed like the right thing to do, but the price of an original Canon 5D or similar Nikon is awfully tempting these days. They look like incredible value to me. I could keep a few lenses, dump a bunch of cameras and still have more than I will ever need.

In a similar position myself. Not really happy with my digitals (Oly e-m5.1 and Nikon D5200) for various reasons and want to consolidate to one camera.
D700 is very cheap these days, and would hopefully be a digital version of my beloved F4.

However an original x-t1 is also similarly cheap, and I expect with it's dials rather than buttons be more like a Nikon SLR than a Nikon DSLR would...

Decisions !

Horses for courses, I have an X-E2 and D700 and use both. X-E2 is great for travel and quick record shots but D700 is good for everything else, especially events. I much prefer the haptics of the D700 with so much of what's useful up on the top deck, the X-E2 is fiddly by comparison. Also the third party flash I bought a few years ago for the D700 is excellent in every way, not sure about external flash for Fuji as I've never used one. Nice also to have the option of using all those manual Nikon primes that I've ended up with.

I'll confess that I was disappointed in the X-trans sensor over the Bayer sensor in the X100. Even now it has issues in Lightroom. I got Capture One for Fuji with my new camera and I'll have to see if it is any better.

I had some issues with the X-trans sensor and Lightroom but then I started using Iridient X-transformer+LR and the problems were solved. I've tried both Capture One and Luminar 3 but I'm too comfortable and accustomed to LR to change.

Back