Anyone Try This 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1?

the.ronin

Established
Local time
4:13 PM
7Artisans-50mm-f1.1-lens-for-Leica-M-mount-cameras1.jpg

7Artisans-50mm-f1.1-lens-for-Leica-M-mount-cameras3.jpg

Link to thread in the lenses forum: click here

I've currently got a Summi 40, 90mm Elmar, and CV 21mm and I really wouldn't mind getting a fast lens with at least some capability for indoor shots. Just can't get decent low light shots with the lenses I have (maybe with the 40 if I'm lucky).

Curious if anyone's used this on their CL and how they feel about it?

I was really curious about this a while back as well and the conclusion I came to is that yes it will mount on the cl body but thats about it. The lens is too big and will block the rangefinder window making it almost impossible to focus (maybe zone focus if you absolutely had to.) Also the CL can't accurately focus 50mm with an aperture wider than 1.4 due to the short effective base length.

There is a web page somewhere showing the EBL's of most popular rangefinder bodies and when they become inaccurate with certain focal lengths. I'll try to find it, I know I just came across it a week or two ago on here.

It's too fat for the CL and CLE and will block the rf window.
Also, it is too deep for the CL and will collide with the meter stalk. Same reason why it cannot be used on the M5.

I've currently got a Summi 40, 90mm Elmar, and CV 21mm and I really wouldn't mind getting a fast lens with at least some capability for indoor shots.

Why not the Nokton 1.1? It doesn´t have a lot of character but it´s much faster than what you have and probably better in construction than this "7fartisans"...

Why not the Nokton 1.1? It doesn´t have a lot of character but it´s much faster than what you have and probably better in construction than this "7fartisans"...

I have both the Nokton 1.1 and the 7fartisans. You obviously have never used the 7fartisans, it is very nicely made, so much so that if you use it you will definitely get GASsy.
Either way, the Nokton 1.1 is even larger and will not fit. It completely blocks the rf finder.

Yes, I had also come across some reading that said the CL rangefinder base made it ineffective beyond 50mm 1.8 I think it was. Too bad because I do like the pictures it captures at the price point.

I have seen quite different results with this lens from good to terrible. Possibly sample variation or depends a lot on the photographer. I think it works far better in low light generally than using f1.1 in broad daylight.

I have the Nockton 1.1 .
Its a lovely lens ... got my copy slightly used for a good price .
I use it on my CL (digital) and SL2s .
Wider than it is long though so there will be some RF blockage .

Have used the 7Artisans lens on an M-E for the last two years. Fine if you step away from f/1.1 ....f/1.2 sharpens it up nicely.
It does tend to throw off the TTL metering when shooting at wide apertures when out in daylight

mats7artisans.jpg

I have one, it is a Sonnar formula, the softness at f1.1 is most likely due to focusing issue rather than the lens itself. I wish someone make a EVF M mount camera will minimize the focusing error and focus shift issue. The attached is M6 f1.1 at 0.7mm the focusing plate is very thin.

IMG_0299.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 3
The OP asked this question about using the 7art 50/1.1 on the Leica CL Film camera.
The rear elements protrude, do not use it on the CL. I tested this- interferes with the meter arm.
This lens is best on a full sized camera. For digital: It is best on a CCD camera as the rear element is so close to the sensor. Probably Okay on the M11 with the BSI sensor. On an M240 or M10 series, expect about an extra stop of vignetting. At least that is the difference I found with this lens on my M Monochrom and M9, compared with online tests.

https://ibb.co/album/cxGhBn

This lens with a deep Yellow filter sharpens up greatly.

Example, wide-open on the M Monochrom. This lens is a Sonnar design, closest to the Zunow 5cm F1.1 v2 that cost the same amount of money over 65 years ago.

7-Artisans1-F1p1.jpg

Have the 7Arty 50/1.1 in front of me right now. What can I say? I stand corrected. This is not your 50$ SLRMagic Chinese firecracker. Butter smooth mechanics and excellent finishing easily on the level of Voigtländer. I´m shocked what you get for the price. It´s also more compact than the Nokton 1.1 or Noctilux. Edges may be a tad worse but they are weak on any of them anyway.

For comparison- the 50/1.1 Nokton, yellow filter, wide-open on the M Monochrom.

Nokton-F1p1.jpg

Album, same outing along with the 50/1.1 7Art.

https://ibb.co/album/2qmFks

I bought Two of the 7Artisan 50/1.1 lenses, once fine-tuned for the M9 and the other for the M Monochrom with a deep yellow filter. One silver, the other Black. The silver is one of the first few hundred sold. I've had to tighten the set screws for the focus ring, once. I've had to do the same with many lenses, including an inner retaining ring on a 50/1.5 Nokton in LTM.

I picked up a used one either here or off of fleabay about 2 years ago. I've used it on a film and digital leica and it's a decent way to go, though I still kind of like my 50mm f1.4 nikkor-sc when it comes to sonnars (but that's me).
I've had good results with it, but I don't use it wide open that much as hitting the right focus point can be tricky.
Here's a few samples

film:
52012131270_cc08f3cbd4_c.jpg

51996023931_bb67c766b0_c.jpg

(In daylight)
51996553150_de25df6c04_c.jpg

Digital (M264) Pandemic photos from work:
52475486458_d68eba83e1_c.jpg

52474944481_a68837fdd6_c.jpg

As you can see, it's hard to hit or nail focus at 1.1 (or at least it is for me).

I have the Voigtlander Nokton 1.1/50 V.1 and it's a good lens. This said the TTArtisan lenses are worth your attention. I love the 5.6/28 and the 1.4/35. Cheers, OtL

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nikki_Pool.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.7 KB ID:	4807868 Click image for larger version  Name:	Nikki_pool2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	4807869

I use a 1.25x magnifier with my fast lenses, aim for the sparkle in the eyes.
At Night, ISO 10,000 and wide-open.

Back to OP questions. In addition to use of flash, you could benefit from pushing of bw film. Even Kentmere 400 is pushable @3200.

f1.1 or even f1.4 might be not good for short rangefinder base.

But if you insist, maybe check 40 1.2 Viogtlander.

Back