Anyone using a Rollfilm back on their 4x5 Rangefinder?

Pirate

Guitar playing Fotografer
Local time
2:18 AM
I just finished changing lenses on my Crown Graphic. The old Schneider Kreutznach has a small light leak through the shutter blades so I put my Nikkor in it's place. Tomorrow with some daylight I'll be double checking the focusing bed stop pieces... etc..

I also broke out my Graphic 8 Rollfilm back and will be making a mask for my viewfinder so I can shoot 120 on the Crown.

Anyone else using a Rollfilm back on their 4x5?

yes- i masked off the optical tunnel VF on the crown graphic to use a 6x12 back with, and use the 6x12 back and linhof super rollex 6x7 backs on my tech IV.

The only time I feel at all weird about it is if I use one of the rollfilm backs on the 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back.... although it is kinda fun w/ the 450mm.... :)

-Brian

6x7 and 6x9 backs on the Horseman VHR - but really, it is a 120 based RF field camera that allows you to add a 4x5, not the other way around...

I use a chinese back to shoot 6x9 or 6x12 with my crown/speed, on tripod. Crude, but bulletproof.

For example (6x9):

on Flickr

I have rollfilm backs for 4x5 and 9x12. I have used both, more for seeing how I liked them and to make sure they worked, For actual photo use, I think I would be more inclined to use the 9x12. But having a Super Press 23, there is less need for them. I do tend to carry the 6x9 back for the 9x12 though in case of preference for some reason.

I use a 6x7 back on my Speed Graphic. I've found that the top viewfinder, while accurate for 4x5 framing, is horribly inaccurate with the proper 6x7 mask. The wire frame sights and guess-compensating for the smaller format work much better for handheld use. I also have the GG marked for 6x7 when using a tripod. Anyone else run into this issue with the top sight?

I have two lever wind Graflex backs for 4x5. One is ostensibly a 6x9 back but it is pretty close in size to the other 6x7 so I don't know if the people at Graflex were challenged with math or not... At any rate, I always keep color neg in one because color neg 4x5 is pricey....

By the way, it is difficult to ascertain whether the backs are loaded or not if you don't use them for a while so when I unload them I turn the magazine insert upside down.

On the list to get one of these days is a Horseman 6x12.

The technique I use on my film holders is if the darkslide is unlocked the holder is empty. If the black side is out, the film is unexposed, and if the light side is out the film is exposed.

The memmonics that goes with that is "Exposed to dark" & "Exposed to light". Where (dark=black), & (light=silver).

If I'm leaving loaded backs around for more than a day or two, I'll put masking tape on it to mark what's in it. If I take the tape off, it's safe to assume that it's empty - and if it's not, it's my fault.

I take a loop of masking tape and stick it to the back of the torn-off film box end. Then stick it to the back of the Graflex film magazine. Then, I am sure it is loaded with film.

I use these Graflex magazines with my Sinar Normas, although I have to invert the inner part, which requires taking a file to the "outer shell", to get it to snap shut properly. No big deal, really. It's required to clear the Norma mechanisms.

I prefer the older wind-knob Graflex backs to the lever-wind ones. Much less to go wrong. Bullet proof, really.

If I'm leaving loaded backs around for more than a day or two, I'll put masking tape on it to mark what's in it. If I take the tape off, it's safe to assume that it's empty - and if it's not, it's my fault.

That's what works for me. I also use that for cut film holders so I know what film is in them. It also lets me know if a holder has been exposed if there is a big X on it.

I use a Graphic 23 roll film holders on both my Anniversary Speed Graphic and my Pre-annivesary miniature Speed Graphic

LH120524.jpg

Coated 127mm f/4.7 Ektar lens from 1946 and Ektar 100 film

Nice Rick

Same lens I have on my converted Polaroid 110A, on which I could mount a Graflok if so inclined. As it is I use it mostly with a Graflex 23, and that and pack film.

Graflex 23, Tri-X, Caffenol

Stranglehold by Eirik0304, on Flickr

I have several 6X9 backs, Toyo, Horseman, Graflex. I have also a 70mm Graflex back 6X7 for 4X5" that I could part with, I can throw some 70mm cassettes + some 70mm film if anybody is interested to give an offer... PM, please

So is that the key to getting the LF camera out more? Roll film back, calibrated rangefinder, masked viewfinder?

Back