Anyone using Filson's Magnum bags?

Not using the backpack but have a five year review of the Harvey Messenger:
I've used the Harvey Messenger since the year of it's release. Primarily utilized it as a combination camera/work bag.

PROS:
-Lightweight
-Forms well to your body
-No bright buckles or branding to attract attention
-Easy to open and close the main compartment and front pockets.
-Bag is a good size for a longer day of photography. The volume easily fit a rangefinder or two, 2-3 lenses, film, small water bottle, laptop or iPad, film, cards, etc...

CHALLENGES:
-Main pocket and side pockets do not protect from the weather. Due to the shape of the top flap, there is not enough extra material to overlap sufficiently and protect from the rain or inclement weather. A similar design flaw occurs with the side pockets where the top cover of the pocket is not long enough to provide weather resistance above the pocket. The side pockets sag with age.
-The fabric has small rips from opening and closing the snap buttons. I've repaired the back snap pocket and front snap pockets a few times.
-The regular insert is not very versatile. It is constructed by a padded nylon, and has two interior configurations. This is slippery for the content inside and I've found it's better to use an insert from another bag.

Five Year Recap: The bag is functional for light dry weather, very minimalist in design, easy to access contents one-handed, and can carry quite a bit. However, it would be useful if there was a follow-up iteration with a slightly stiffer cloth for a more structure and durability, and weather resistant pocketing. Still very useful as an every day carry.

I use the original tin cloth Filson briefcase. Found an padded insert. Fits my Leica M 262 perfectly.

48347188527_8ca243eefc_c.jpg

To update this from my end, I did receive a camera field bag from Filson and used it on a trip to Fiji.

Pros -
looks great!
holds a lot of gear
nice interior pockets
configurable interior pads (unlike the Harvey bag)

Cons -
padding way too minimal
not enough structure (would fold in on itself when trying to get gear out)
snaps not really easy to use one handed
rear exterior pocket too flimsy

At the end of the day I returned the bag. I had high hopes and wanted to love it, but didn't. If it were half the price, I'd have kept it, but for $300+, it's just not that good of a bag. Billingham Hadley Pro is a better choice (IMO).

Here's the gear I took on my trip
58438559678351-vi.jpg

Here's what I could fit in it
Leica MP + 50mm cron
13 rolls of film
Fujifilm X100T
5 extra batteries
2 16GB SD cards
TCL
Instax printer
20 instax prints
iPhone 6 with custom created skin
2 external batteries to charge phones, iPads, etc
Shoulderpod S1 to mount iPhone for long exposures and better grip for video/odd angles
Waterproof phone pouch
ND and orange filters
MKII Nassau
pen, notebook, sunglasses, iPad, and snacks.
What about the watch? Also what is a MKII Nassau?

To update this from my end, I did receive a camera field bag from Filson and used it on a trip to Fiji.

Pros -
looks great!
holds a lot of gear
nice interior pockets
configurable interior pads (unlike the Harvey bag)

Cons -
padding way too minimal
not enough structure (would fold in on itself when trying to get gear out)
snaps not really easy to use one handed
rear exterior pocket too flimsy

At the end of the day I returned the bag. I had high hopes and wanted to love it, but didn't. If it were half the price, I'd have kept it, but for $300+, it's just not that good of a bag. Billingham Hadley Pro is a better choice (IMO).

Here's the gear I took on my trip

Here's what I could fit in it
Leica MP + 50mm cron
13 rolls of film
Fujifilm X100T
5 extra batteries
2 16GB SD cards
TCL
Instax printer
20 instax prints
iPhone 6 with custom created skin
2 external batteries to charge phones, iPads, etc
Shoulderpod S1 to mount iPhone for long exposures and better grip for video/odd angles
Waterproof phone pouch
ND and orange filters
MKII Nassau
pen, notebook, sunglasses, iPad, and snacks.

Is the watch strap a Popov Leather one? Looks very similar to mine!

My coworker has a Filson bag And the fabric has pilled up quite a bit in a year. Not sure if all their bags do this, but after seeing it I ended up with a Hadley pro with fibralyte. That stuff is awesome.

I have a filson field bag. Have had it for over a decade and have treated it very poorly. Just hitting it’s prime.

Just get one Joe. Sticker price can be scary but a decade later? Not so much

This seems to be a good place for these Filson x Magnum bags and reports about them! Ever since these bags came out in 2014 and were rather quickly discontinued in 2015, I wanted one! Even checked them out at the Filson store, but ultimately decided they were too expensive for me.

Well, I finally found a used bag this month and, boy am I thrilled! I call my bag "Goldilocks" --it's just right:cool: Not too big or too small for my taste, nor too soft or too stiff.

Bought this bag from a Bonafide PJ and the bag was used on assignments far and wide...so that's cool:rolleyes:

Here it is -

U26723I1569417182.SEQ.0.jpg

U26723I1569417183.SEQ.1.jpg

U26723I1569417183.SEQ.2.jpg

Back