Anyone using the Sony A7r with 35mm Zeiss Sonnar 2.8 FE?

jsrockit

Staff member
Local time
8:28 PM
I'm interested in this combination for a project I'm working on. Specifically, I am interested in its very high resolution files in a small package. I'm not interested in the A7 or in using non native lenses.

So, is anyone using this combo? What, if any, cons have you come across?

I dont have it myself but there is a ton of info on FM's alt forum about the combo.

There is some color shifting (yes, Im talking about the FE native mount 35/2.8 sonnar) that the computers take care of but every result I've seen has been pretty damn good. Not quite to 55/1.8 levels, but certainly better than most stuff I've seen.

You might find it worth your time to PM EdwardKaara here, for a more practical answer.

Not this specific combo but a close relative - the A7R and the 55mm/1.8 Zeiss Sonnar FE. It is one of the best non-macro lenses I have ever used, in terms of sharpness, color, CA and distortion. Where it is falls short (if you can call it that), is the vignetting -- which is evident from f1.8 to about f5.6. A great "feature" for people shots, but this not a landscape lens.

A number of posts have mentioned quality control issues, so if you get one check to see if all corners are equally sharp.

I have one but don't use it much because it's a typically contrasty high-resolution modern lens. If that's what you want, go for it. I prefer the look of 'classic' lenses and usually use a 40mm Summicron. I find 35 FE useful when I want autofocus.

A number of posts have mentioned quality control issues, so if you get one check to see if all corners are equally sharp.

Yes, I've seen that... but then again some people pixel peep instead of photograph. :) I was hoping someone here could let me know if the issues are true or if they are just splitting hairs.

I have one but don't use it much because it's a typically contrasty high-resolution modern lens. If that's what you want, go for it.

Yeah, that's what I want. :eek:

I don't have the A7r but the A7 and will, eventually, get this lens - I've played with it and I can't imagine it being any "worse" on the A7r. The comments regarding contrasty, high res are valid. MaggieO here mentioned that it reminded her of the 35mm f2.8 Biogon-C that Zeiss has in the M-mount - it seems to draw images similar to that lens.

Cheers,
Dave

After using this set-up for a little while, I have to say I'm very impressed. Not sure why people fault the AF. Ergonomically, it's no fuji or Leica, but I feel it fits better in my hand than a DSLR. Outside of the fact that auto ISO defaults to 1/60th of a second, it sounds like a staple gun, and it defaults to f/4 (with faster lenses) in shutter priority...it's a pretty damn nice camera.

After using this set-up for a little while, I have to say I'm very impressed. Not sure why people fault the AF. Ergonomically, it's no fuji or Leica, but I feel it fits better in my hand than a DSLR. Outside of the fact that auto ISO defaults to 1/60th of a second, it sounds like a staple gun, and it defaults to f/4 (with faster lenses) in shutter priority...it's a pretty damn nice camera.

I don't know if people fault the AF on the A7r alone but I think if you compare it to the A7 then there's a difference. Not that on its own it's considered "bad" or "poor" but it's (apparently) not as good as on the A7. Of course YMMV (which seems to apply to a lot of stuff :D)

Glad to hear the kit is working out for you :)

Cheers,
Dave

I use the 35/2,8. I've gotten great results with it on the A7R, but mostly in good light. Yes, I see the famous and awful colour banding/bullseye patter in both the 35 and the 55 when shooting against a low contrast background. It's not the lens's fault, but the A7R's sensor, I believe.

I don't like the lens hood or the ****ty little lens cap. It's kind of a brillant hood, but I'd rather shoot without.

What bokeh you can squeeze out of a 35/2,8 is very nice, indeed.

Vignetting is a constant annoyance with these FE lenses (and the 70-200FE apparently has more vignetting than the Canikon 70-200/2.8s...which is odd).

Back