New York April Nyc Meet-up

Devil Dan approves.

Cal you should consider Harveys 777 in those 3F tanks. The Time photo lab was running that around where you are. The only place it get it is Bluegrass in Lexington Kentucky. They own the patent and mix it up sometimes, they are a PITA to deal with but they aren'y really a photgraphy place. They have 10 lbs of Harvey 777 and also sell the replenisher as well.

Bill Pierce and HCB would approve. So would W Eugene Smith

Devil Dan approves.

Cal you should consider Harveys 777 in those 3F tanks. The Time photo lab was running that around where you are. The only place it get it is Bluegrass in Lexington Kentucky. They own the patent and mix it up sometimes, they are a PITA to deal with but they aren'y really a photgraphy place. They have 10 lbs of Harvey 777 and also sell the replenisher as well.

Bill Pierce and HCB would approve. So would W Eugene Smith

Devil Dan,

In my quest to do something crazy and annoy people I in fact have looked into Harvey 777, and I have some literature on Harvey 777 I saved in one of my recipe books.

So coming from 25 square feet of work space, and doing a sustained 150 rolls of film a month in a changing bag, I think with 400 square feet, eventually I will be less constrained.

I'm mucho happy with going dip and dunk. Pretty much I'll have to man-up and start lurking on the Large Format Forum.

I was talking with Devil Christian last night about contact printing for editing purposes and how speedy that would be over scanning just doing tray processing. EZ-PZ.

In the past I annoyed people by printing big, but now my goal is to annoy people with small prints.

Also I have a JOBO 3013 which can do five 4x5's.

Cal

Crazy Devil Cal,

https://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html

I had some wonderful conversations with Fred DeVan many years ago. He worked at Time/Life, and was a gifted photographer and Art Director. He was also Photo Editor and photographer at Road & Track for many years. He also (like me!) had great love for the motorized Minolta SR-M, he shot boku cases of Kodachrome with his SRMs. He worked out of a custom Motor Home, and even hired the chef who used to work for Pink Floyd! Fred's article on Harveys 777 is linked above.

http://www.bluegrasspackaging.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-9

This is the only way you get real deal Harvey's 777. They only offer it so often, difficult to get really. Ten gallon bags of dev and five gallon bags of replenisher, if I recall correctly. Timing on this is everything if you want to get in on some of this. I'm sure many are waiting right now. I've sent paper checks to them , which sit on somebody's desk for a while. Twice the checks were finally returned back to me. I'm willing to try again, it will be worth it

Saul and Devil Dan,

Thanks for the link of Fred's article and the helpful link to Photographer's Formulary's version.

I kinda love that it is "Pantheric" like my "Slacker's Brew" (Diafine).

Similarly I found agitation really matters for best results. Also seems like a bit of a compensating developer like Diafine.

For me the magic with Diafine is using Acros, a tripod, and bulb exposures. Somehow a lack of reciprocy failure and negatives rich in mids and never any blown highlights. Pretty much I minimize agitation to get more of a "stand" development effect for added midrange.

Diafine also gets reused and also has a long shelf life. Works great with Tri-X, not so great or ideal on other films, but with Tri-X and Acros one can do mucho photography.

Like Acufine fine grained...

WOW, a different kind of "Slacker's Brew," a couple of formulas to check out, and know that not only am I stubborn, I have all the lab gear to micro brew developers, and I have decades of working in research labs experimenting.

I'm sure I can run with the ball. One of my greatest talents is obsessive behavior. Probably part of this is because I am a skinny bitch, but I played rough sports like Football and Lacross.

Big guys were afraid of me because in a blink of an eye I would drop my shoulder, run into there numbers, and lift them off the ground. I was like a kinetic weapon.

I learned a lot about physics playing sports.

Harvey's 777 is mucho interesting and seems to be the way to go. Also know that I am a Crazy Cook.

"Maggie" hates the way I kinda go "overboard" where I could carm-MAL-lize 5 pounds of onions, or roast enough garlic to be considered a terrorist. When I make La-ZON-A I can fill three turkey trays and utilize 40 pounds of meat. Don't forget about 12-15 pounds of cheese.

I got accused of poisoning Dave, because it tasted so good he could not help but over eat, and he kinda over dosed.

Did you know that a turkey tray of my La-ZON-A could weigh 45-50 pounds and that it takes 4-5 hours just to warm it up?

Anyways Devil Dan and I must be related because we display the same behaviors. The world likely is safer because there are only a few of us. LOL.

Crazy is good I say.

Calvin-August

I am concerned about inflation.

Where can you store wealth when all these asset bubbles keep inflating.

Snarky Joe knows me well, and I was looking at Nikon F2's with DE-1's on EBAY, and I found that prices are not so crazy, but when I looked at Noct-Nikkor's the going price for a good one (AIS) is around $4.5K.

So I thought for an all mechanical SLR that my Leica SL2-MOT with the wonderful 50 Lux "E60" second version would kill any gas, but the F2 with DE-1 is tiny like an M-body and would be perfect for keeping my black 45/2.8 P permanently mounted.

So what is restraining me is that I have a minty F3 data back and this UBER rare F3 grip (never ever seen another one like it), and I got them so one day I might get another F3P so I could keep one rigged with a motor-drive, and one without.

Know that for me that the F3P is different enough from a F3HP that I can't really like a F3HP anymore.

So my logic is just get another F3P and take advantage that it has a meter.

A F2 is mighty sexy and retro though...

Anyways I wonder are Noct-Nikkors in a bubble? Prices languished around $3K for about a decade or more. Is this inflation due to currency loosing value, or is the pricing due to supply and demand balance?

Anyways, I'm happy-happy I have a really wonderful Noct-Nikkor. It was serviced and cleaned by "Sammy's" in L.A. I have owned this lens since about 2008.

Augie

Diafine also gets "seasoned" with use and it takes about 25-40 rolls. Pretty much it gets "smoother."

Now I have something new to obsess about. LOL.

Augie

I just want to thank the large format shooters here who have my back.

Thanks for mentoring me and opening up the possibilities.

Know that Devil Dan and Devil Christian had me collect and hoard the stockpile that I now can enjoy.

Also snarky Joe for the free Linhof Color Kardan.

This Harvey's 777 and the formulas presented in that article is an interesting pursuit.

For those lurking who have not read the article understand that this developer is optimized to work in large tanks and has a great working lifespan like my Slacker's Brew (Diafine). I can see this really working for me.

At one point it was kinda crazy buying a Nikor rack with 18 120 Stainless Steel reels to dip and dunk, when one does not even have a darkroom. So much foresight was brilliant, and now is a huge pay off.

Perhaps I'm not so crazy, so that promotes me to do something new to repair my reputation. LOL.

Augie

I am concerned about inflation.

Where can you store wealth when all these asset bubbles keep inflating.

Snarky Joe knows me well, and I was looking at Nikon F2's with DE-1's on EBAY, and I found that prices are not so crazy, but when I looked at Noct-Nikkor's the going price for a good one (AIS) is around $4.5K.

So I thought for an all mechanical SLR that my Leica SL2-MOT with the wonderful 50 Lux "E60" second version would kill any gas, but the F2 with DE-1 is tiny like an M-body and would be perfect for keeping my black 45/2.8 P permanently mounted.

So what is restraining me is that I have a minty F3 data back and this UBER rare F3 grip (never ever seen another one like it), and I got them so one day I might get another F3P so I could keep one rigged with a motor-drive, and one without.

Know that for me that the F3P is different enough from a F3HP that I can't really like a F3HP anymore.

So my logic is just get another F3P and take advantage that it has a meter.

A F2 is mighty sexy and retro though...

Anyways I wonder are Noct-Nikkors in a bubble? Prices languished around $3K for about a decade or more. Is this inflation due to currency loosing value, or is the pricing due to supply and demand balance?

Anyways, I'm happy-happy I have a really wonderful Noct-Nikkor. It was serviced and cleaned by "Sammy's" in L.A. I have owned this lens since about 2008.

Augie

Cal, The F3 is a great camera, I'm looking at mine right now and I
alway's wanted one and finally got one at a great price with the motor
drive. I was surprised no one else bid on it but I got it so this and my Nikon
SP I'm pretty set with Nikon stuff but I do notice I have one lens on the F3 it's
a AF 50mm 1.8 and it off at infinity I don't think these plastic auto focus
lenses hold up well.

Cal, The F3 is a great camera, I'm looking at mine right now and I
alway's wanted one and finally got one at a great price with the motor
drive. I was surprised no one else bid on it but I got it so this and my Nikon
SP I'm pretty set with Nikon stuff but I do notice I have one lens on the F3 it's
a AF 50mm 1.8 and it off at infinity I don't think these plastic auto focus
lenses hold up well.

Bob,

In talking with Christian it seems that AF lenses don't have hard stops for infinity like manual focus lenses. This was something I never considered because I never really use infinity. Also I don't use AF lenses on MF cameras.

Even when shooting a landscape on a tripod I will stop down and focus on a subject about a third the way to infinity. In other words I use hyperfocal distance to maximize DOF with MF lenses.

Also consider how we see more fine detail in subjects and objects closer to you. To me hyper focal distance is more organic, natural, and true to life.

Cal

Bob,
A lot of the AF lenses don't have a calibrated hard infinity stop, as the theory is the camera would focus it properly. The other thought is that the torque of the F4 and F5 would shred those plastic lenses, so Nikon put infinity focus a little bit forward of the actual hard stop.

Phil Forrest

Bob,
A lot of the AF lenses don't have a calibrated hard infinity stop, as the theory is the camera would focus it properly. The other thought is that the torque of the F4 and F5 would shred those plastic lenses, so Nikon put infinity focus a little bit forward of the actual hard stop.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

This makes sense. A hard stop would not be a hard stop for long.

Cal

Thank you for the info, I guess I'll look for a older Nikkor lens
maybe a 28mm f2.8 AI or AI-S.

Bob,

The better lens is the 28/2.8 AIS. It is very highly corrected and also has CRC for close focus. As I remember it can focus a foot away.

Also the 28/2.8 is mucho small and perhaps not a pancake lens, but not far off.

Cal

Bob,
Are you in a rush for a 28mm?
Years ago, Cal gave (or traded or sold to me for virtually nothing) his 28mm AIS. I'm usually shooting either wider or 50mm or longer these days (when I have a chance to shoot) and I think sending it on to another home within RFF would be a good thing. Call it karma but I can't sell gear which was given to me. I'm trying to thin this herd a little anyway. I do love that lens but I find myself not using it as much as my 20mm or my 35mm.
The 28/2.8 AIS is just about the same size as a 50mm 1.4, by the way.
I ask about a rush because I work from home and don't get to the post office much lately. I have to send a 16mm camera out one day soon, so I could drop the 28mm in the mail as well, if you like. Just send me shipping, and it's yours. This group, and this community have given me a lot and I'm in a position right now to start to pay it back, although this lens might be a NYC RFF musical chairs kind of thing...

Phil Forrest

Bob,
Years ago, Cal gave (or traded or sold to me for virtually nothing) his 28mm AIS. I'm usually shooting either wider or 50mm or longer these days (when I have a chance to shoot) and I think sending it on to another home within RFF would be a good thing. Call it karma but I can't sell gear which was given to me. I'm trying to thin this herd a little anyway. I do love that lens but I find myself not using it as much as my 20mm or my 35mm.
I ask about a rush because I work from home and don't get to the post office much lately. I have to send a 16mm camera out one day soon, so I could drop the 28mm in the mail as well, if you like. Just send me shipping, and it's yours. This group, and this community have given me a lot and I'm in a position right now to start to pay it back, although this lens might be a NYC RFF musical chairs kind of thing...

Phil Forrest

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the offer and no I'm not in a rush, How much do you want for it plus shipping, I was going to look for one, I usually go on ebay and
buy my stuff on there, I've been lucky of late getting good stuff.

Bob,

Phil Forrest

Phil,

I gifted you that lens after you suffered a loss (gear stolen).

I'm cool with good Karma. Actually it is really what life is about.

It is a Chinese tradition when someone has good luck to share and spread the good fortune.

BTW the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS is likely one of the best 28's out there. Very-very highly corrected.

Cal

Cal,
Yes, thank you very much for that lens! Over the last 8 years, my shooting has changed a bit and I find myself using either my 20mm or my 50mm, and sometimes my 35mm, but rarely the 28mm. As I don't really like collecting gear that I don't use, I think it is time to thin the herd. Sending the 28mm to another NYC RFF'er is perfect, I think. It was just coincidence that Bob said he needed a 28mm. I still have my Nikon 28mm shift lens as well as a Konica 28mm if I want to shoot that focal length. It's a sleeper everyday carry lens for the streets of NYC, and on a thin extension tube, it doubles as a very good macro.

Phil Forrest

Cal,
Yes, thank you very much for that lens! Over the last 8 years, my shooting has changed a bit and I find myself using either my 20mm or my 50mm, and sometimes my 35mm, but rarely the 28mm. As I don't really like collecting gear that I don't use, I think it is time to thin the herd. Sending the 28mm to another NYC RFF'er is perfect, I think. It was just coincidence that Bob said he needed a 28mm. I still have my Nikon 28mm shift lens as well as a Konica 28mm if I want to shoot that focal length. It's a sleeper everyday carry lens for the streets of NYC, and on a thin extension tube, it doubles as a very good macro.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Its all good. Very cool.

Cal

Sunday was 70 degrees. I went for a bike ride in Blue Mountain Preserve with my steel IBIS set up as a 3x1, but I lacked low enough gears for some of the climbs from a lack of conditioning and strength to power up the steep sections.

Realize I initially stuck with Dickey Brook Trail and the Boundry Trail that are considered the easiest. I found myself walking the bike up some sections because I found myself on a Blue blazed trail and a Red blazed tail that were very technical, rocky. rooty, and steep.

Mucho rocks to the point I would say it was a trail littered with rock gardens and that my 2.1 inch tires were mighty skinny for these trails and that a lack of suspension made things mighty tricky.

Other bikers I saw had full suspensions or were full blown out fat tire bikes.

So I struggles with too tall gears no suspension, and skinny tires (2.1's) on a bike that dates back into the 80's.

Today I ordered a set of 2.35's that should fit on my retro 3x8 Basso that is really a Litespeed Titanium.

I saw some trail numbers and later took note on the map where I had wandered. Evidently I was on this trail called Ned's Lung for a bit that is the climb to the summit path to the peak of Blue Mountain (elevation 600 feet).

So my ride was about an hour 45 minutes, and today I feel the ride in my upper body from pulling on the handlebars from climbing.

Later Sunday I performed a bucket wash to the Audi, and polished the wheels. I would say it got a detailed cleaning, but did not get "detailed." The foul weather rubber floor mats were replaced with carpeted versions for the summer. The car glistens like a brand new car, but it is 7 years old.

Saturday "Maggie" and I explored Peekskill via car and walking. The hot spot downtown are these 4 blocks where they will be having live music starting April 17th. There is a very cool coffee house that looks like it has a heavy Brooklyn flavor.

A short walk away is a book store that has been around for 28 years that sells music as well as books. I find that even though not as big as The Strand that it held its own.

Bought maps of Bear Mountain State Park and Harrimon State Park. From the owner of The Bruised Apple Bookstore I learned that there are several abandoned mines in the park, but one that is built into a hillside is not flooded and is the interesting one to photograph.

The downtown along with the Peekskill waterfront seems to be a big crowd draw from not only the surrounding towns, but also people from the NYC because of the food, the arts, music, and entertainment.

The waterfront has this walkway along the river and one day one would be able to walk the extensions of what exists already in Peekskill all the way to Yonkers. From the train I took notice that there may be a section in Croton Harmon that already exists.

So Maggie has this idea of opening a "Vintage" shop in Peekskill somewhere in the downtown. Could be viable because of the crowd draw. I was deeply impressed by how congested and crowded Peekskill was. Soon they will be closing streets and opening the Farmer's Market.

From George I learned that the Stripped Bass run in Peekskill. When I mentione "schoolies" meaning young fish, I was surprised to learn that there are cow bass. George acquires Herring for bail from New York Harbor.

We walked the waterfront from by the train station all the way to where it ends in Bucanon, along the way I saw the maps of what already has started in Peekskill.

At certain times of the day I hear a loud chorus of frogs from my back-backyard. When I say loud, I mean it. Pretty amazing.

So I pick up a Brooklyn like vibe in Peekskill.

This summer I surely will be scouting out on my bike places to shoot.

Augie

Back