Are Voigtlander Lenses Brass Underneath?

I believe it varies although bartender would know for sure...my 50mm 2,5 color- skopar is def brass and BTW a truely great lens!

My screw mount black paint color skopar 28/3,5 is heavy and suppose this means there is brass beneath. I've used other not mine WA CV lenses (25, 15, and 21 mm); these latter are very light. So I don't think there is brass beneath the paint, screw mount or not. Another possibility may be the interior part barrel is aluminum and the outer is brass. The only way to be sure is waiting the paint is scratched. Who knows?

Based on the feel the chrome version of the CV Nokton 50/1.5 M is most certainly brass. It has a VERY high quality feel to it.

I don't think many are brass. I have the 15, 35/2.5, 50/1.5, 75/2.5 all in ltm. These are significantly lighter (or feel lighter due to density) than my canon 50/1.8 that I am sure is brass.

TCOkebvl.jpg

I'll say. 35 Ultron. I once had a Leica fan in Oregon compliment me on my "well-loved vintage Summicron."

The LTM Ultron 35mm f/1.7 showed above looks like brass, but is brass coloured aluminium. It is a light weight lens, like the LTM Nokton 50mm f/1.5.

The Color Skopars LTM 28mm f/3.5 and LTM 50mm f/2.5 are definitely brass.

I guess that the chrome M-mount Ultron 35mm f/1.7 and the chrome M-mount Nokton f/1.5 are brass too.

About other Voigtländer lenses I don't know. The S-mount (Nikon rangefinder) are all aluminium I guess because they are all very light. They can be made from brass coloured aluminium, like the Ultron LTM 35mm f/1.7.

Erik.

So, most are not brass, but they look like brass when the black paint models uh... "brass." My CV 50/2.5 is satin chrome, so I may not live long enough to see the actual brass underneath. I'm trying not to think about how much my black paint LTM 50/1.5 would weigh if it were brass.... but it does look cool as the paint wears off.

Back