Are you OK with lens corrections on Leica Q?

Are you OK with lens corrections on Leica Q?

• Total voters
You stated that I was anti-digital. I proved beyond a doubt that your statement is factually incorrect.

Your reading comprehension is extremely poor. Your conclusions cannot be substantiated by any text that I have written. I stated quite clearly that I want Leica to succeed as a company which includes selling this camera. There is no need for you to so completely misstate my position.

Wrong. There is a reason. You stated something that was absolutely wrong about my position and I proved conclusively that you were in error. I am not going to allow such a misrepresentation about me to go unchallenged. If you dont like it, then dont make statements about things you clearly do not understand.

What is tiresome is your constant need to mischaracterize me. I am not upset. I am trying to learn about a technology. Somehow me trying to learn is what is upsetting you. That and the near constant stream of "I dont know" coming from you indicates that you are very frustrated.

It's always good to leave things you dont understand. You could have avoided a lot of problems by avoiding so many mischaracterizations of my position. It is very much unnecessary.

Dude, give it a rest already. Overparsing like this is a sure sign of someone who is just looking to raise a forum's collective fur.

Who were you before you registered as Hunter S Thompson?

Dude, give it a rest already. Overparsing like this is a sure sign of someone who is just looking to raise a forum's collective fur.

My thoughts also. :)

Couldn`t agree more ... its getting boring now.

I wonder who he was before the name change too and has he any shots to show.

Hunter,
Perhaps this will help: You don't have to buy the camera.
You can use whatever you want. Honestly.
From a friend:
"You should never use camera to make your pictures.
You use yourself, your experience, to make the pictures with the camera.
Not the other way around."

— Antonin Kratochvil

Now go inside and take some pictures. Take them. And really, don't worry about Leica.

Okay?

English is not my first language, but I really like the usage of overparsing here. Nicely done.

It strikes me that the answer Mr. Thompson is looking for (inasmuch as it can be called answers - the question is hopelessly egocentric) is already provided in the thread. Several times over, it would seem.

But perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

Let's try another example, this time stepping away from Leica.

Nikon made the 58mm f/1.2 NOCT lens. This is a very famous lens designed for ultra low coma. It achieved this level of performance by using a hand ground aspherical lens which was very expensive to produce. The lens cost something like $2500 if I remember right.

Hunter,

When Nikon made and sold the Noct-Nikkor it sold for $1.7K which was a lot of money back then.

I own an AIS version of this lens.

As far as modern day equivelents there is an autofocus Nikon 58/1.4 that is currently being sold for about $1.7K in today's dollars that due to inflation is a lot lower cost than the original Noct-Nikkor. This modern 58/1.4 is specifically designed to be low coma and the rendering is very much like my Noct-Nikkor.

Just trying to remove distortions in your writing. I would think you would want to mirror your objections to lens distortions to include the distortions in your writing.

If someone wants to buy a modern lens that is like/similar to a Noct-Nikkor, but lower in cost which matches performance one does not need to exaggerate and create a cheap $400.00 lens and use lens correction to make a point. To me this is a distortion.

Cal

... yes, that happens with purists it seems, myself ... I find it tricky to sort out the purists from the fundamentalists

Stewart,

Am I being a purist by calling distortion distortion weather it is in optics or writing, or is it apples and say lemons to add my own flavor of distortion.

On one hand I guess I don't mind the distortions in the Leica "Q"glass because it is corrected. But in some writing that offers mucho distortion there is/are no correction(s).

Fundamentally am I correct?

Cal

Hunter, I respect the fact that you disapprove of this camera based on lens performance, but you also need to understand that for some people this is a very suitable tool that they find a good balance of features for their personal use. We should judge a tool by its cumulative merits not some checklist of axioms; this isn't rangefinderfacists.com, most people here are interested in actually taking photos not the "philosophical" purity of the gear we use.

Stewart,

Am I being a purist by calling distortion distortion weather it is in optics or writing, or is it apples and say lemons to add my own flavor of distortion.

On one hand I guess I don't mind the distortions in the Leica "Q"glass because it is corrected. But in some writing that offers mucho distortion there is/are no correction(s).

Fundamentally am I correct?

Cal

... I don't know, in fact I understand very little of this sort of thing ... I occasionally post an odd attempt at humour, often that self-deprecating humour that's really tricky to spot outside the salon-bar of the Duke William ... as seems to be the case here

regards :)

PS .. are you Aristophanes too? ... as I replied to him or just answering on his behalf

PPS ... him, her or it, that is as appropriate

Warning: an opinion follows :)

Firmware/software corrections are a fact of life for digital cameras. I'm happy for them...they enable photographers to shoot existing-light images that film photography dreams about. This same argument was going on regarding software or firmware suppression of noise in the imaging chain, including RAW images. It's part of the "miracle" of digital photography. The nice thing is, there are other options out there at different price points.

Myself, I don't get caught up in the marketing hype ("Summilux lens"). I'm astonished with the output of the Ricoh GR, which through software and firmware corrections, will give any 28mm a run for its money...for about $600. I can't seriously imagine why I'd be looking for bokeh from a 28mm lens, anyway...it's a moderate-wide...not a portrait lens.

So, enjoy the Leica Q...it's a computer, like the rest of them. My suggestion for everyone on RFF (myself included)...go out and make an image, using whatever, and get it printed. THAT'S photography ;)

... I don't know, in fact I understand very little of this sort of thing ... I occasionally post an odd attempt at humour, often that self-deprecating humour that's really tricky to spot outside the salon-bar of the Duke William ... as seems to be the case here

regards :)

PS .. are you Aristophanes too? ... as I replied to him or just answering on his behalf

PPS ... him, her or it, that is as appropriate

Stewart,

Your odd attempts at humour really work, and I think they are both thoughful and entertaining.

I am a he, and I am not Aristophanes.

Cal

While Hunter may have been a bit shrill and made a awful lot of posts his basic points stand, whether you share his distaste for distortion or not.

The messenger, annoying fellow, has been shot. :)

The many comments that "all digital cameras correct distortion" is very quaint, like "all cars emit CO2" :)

as if....prius or F150, it's all the same.

Back