Argentina : Stop buying and start planning

maigo

Well-known
Local time
5:47 AM
Our family of four is going to Argentina for four weeks from Dec-Jan this year.
Two adults, two kids (10,5 years old)
I think I have all the camera gear I need but I keep thinking, researching, shopping about this lens or that film.
With digital, it is so much easier to choose equipment and go because I have only one digital body (Sony NEX-7) and a few lenses (Zeiss 24/1.8, Zeiss 55/2.8, Sigma 19/2.8).

I am not planning to bring digital, just the iPhone 8plus and film gear.

With film I am constantly thinking about which body, film and lens combo.

Currently it's the F3HP plus Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS, Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 ZF.2, Nikkor 75-150/3.5)
Plus the GA645i for the mountains.
Maybe pack the FM3A as backup.
Maybe leave the 28/2.8 and just use the iPhone for wide.

Films:
35mm - Portra 400 for city. Maybe Pro400H for landscape/nature on the coastline with the zoom.
120 - Fujifilm Pro400, Portra 160/220 , Provia 100 and Acros 100 because that is what I have in the freezer.

Anyways,
Please distract me with some recommended places to go.
Current itinerary is BA, Iguazu Falls, Valdez Peninsula, Ushuaia/Beagle Channel, RN40 self-drive tour Rio Gallegos Parque Monte Leon, Torres del Paine to Perito Moreno Glacier.
Have not figured it all out yet. Typically we plan and book our travel independently as our previous holiday trips in Asia and Europe. First time for us visiting SA.
Arranging transfers and tours within Argentina from outside the country is frustrating.
Beagle Channel cruises to Punta Arenas seems to be stupid-silly prices so we might just take day trips out of Ushuaia.

Oh wait, need a new daypack for carrying camera gear, water AND snacks for kids.
Back to browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edit: Fixed Tapatalk formatting errors.

I'll go to Argentina for the 10th time next week. Each time I go I take one body with one lens (different lens every time I go). This time it will be an M4 with a 35/2 Summicron and 30 rolls of Ilford FP-4 for a two-week trip. Keep in mind that you'll be traveling during the summer and it will be hot, so limit your gear to the bare essentials. If I were you, I'd take the F3 and 50mm combo and nothing else. You don't want to carry around all the gear that you listed. Don't take 400 ASA film (x-rays ... see below), Argentina is flooded with light in the summer, all you need is 50 or 100 ASA speeds.

The most important thing you have to think about is safety: pocket thieves are everywhere, don't wear a watch, never take out your iPhone in public, dress down, always wear bags and camera cross-body. Even kidnappings are wide spread: they will push you into a van, then drive with you at gunpoint from ATM to ATM until your credit cards are blocked, then release you. Do everything so you don't look like a "rich" tourist. There are many neighborhoods to avoid. Keep a fake wallet with a few pesos and have your real wallet strapped to your body. When you sit down in a café, tie your bag to the chair or table.

You seem to be taking tons of flights in Argentina. If you ask the local TSA agents to hand-check your film, they will probably only shout at you and stick the film into the X-ray machine anyway, so better don't even ask. Last time I asked for a hand-check at Iguazu airport, they were so offended that they gave me a strip-search. Their x-ray machines tend to be old, so be prepared for a healthy dose of X-rays. One way to avoid over-exposing with X-rays is to buy film there, have it developed there, and use low-ASA film that is less prone to fogging.

Your are lucky, the pesos dropped like a stone over the last few months and is now stable at an incredibly low level. Everything will be ridiculously cheap. Don't bother taking any pesos from the US, you get a better exchange rate there. Use your credit card to withdraw cash. Never go to a bank on Fridays which is pay day = long lines and chances that the bank will be robbed because it is full of cash. The pesos is based on the US-$, so take some US-$ and make larger purchased in US-$, which gives you an even better rate (they are crazy about US-$!).

Never ever buy batteries, etc, or exchange money from people in the street. I once bought Energizer batteries that turned out to be a roll of cardboard with a fake label.

Be friendly and everyone will be friendly to you. Argentines are very proud people, pay them respect!

Enjoy your trip, it'll be awesome! Argentina is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and Buenos Aires is simply amazing.

Please be careful. My friend's wife, a Latina from another Latin country, was physically hurt when she was thrown to the ground by one thug while another snatched her bag.

This happened in Buenes Aries. One perp was captured; the other got away; and the captured one was convicted and is now serving time.

Cal

My advice is take the least possible. What are the lenses you like best? For me it's a Leica M body, a 35mm & 50mm lens. I find carrying too much gear (besides the weight) just makes me spend too much time playing with the equipment, trying to decide what lens to use, what camera to use, and in the end I end up missing the view.

When I was much younger it was a 4x5. But then I had one daughter to carry the tripod, one to carry the film & holders, one to carry all the other paraphernalia, and I only needed to carry the camera -:) And then it was still only one lens.

You sure you want to go to both Iguazu and Ushuaia on the same trip? You need both summer and winter cloth, Iguazu is tropical, hot and humid while Ushuaia will be wintery cold with rain, possibly snow. When I go, I'm usually based in Buenos Aires and take one trip either South, North, or West, ... but not more than one trip because otherwise I have to pack twice as many things.

Take the boat trip into the water falls of Iguazu -- its amazing and so much fun for the family! But don't take a camera on the boat, you will literally drive through one of the biggest waterfalls in the world and everything will be soaking wet. The view of the waterfall is much better from the Brazilian side, though. Stay away from the lemurs at the train station in Iguzau, they can hurt you really bad and steal everything that is shiny or looks like food ;)

There's a cool tiny little zoo in Iguazu with exotic birds you should visit. You walk through the rain forest and see all these amazing parrots! When you walk through Buenos Aires you'll see parrots flying around, too, just like your local pigeons at home. :D That's about all you can do in Iguazu: waterfall and the tiny zoo. Not worth spending more than two nights. The town is pretty horrible and full of begging (and stealing) kids.

I went only to the very south, where it juts toward Antarctica (Patagonia), Los Glaciares National Park, home to the massive Perito Moreno Glacier. Which is a great sight. I love Argentina, the people are great, the scenery is first class. Here are a few impressions:

42725837691_861e5496e6_h.jpg
[/url]Argentina_Pidera Frailes_Ignacio and Sasha_002 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Los Glaciares National Park.

Patagonia_Argentina_Lago Electrico_005 by , on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/25C1rDy]
Lago Electrico.
Rio Blanco.[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/880/41101599750_c55ddbf5ae_h.jpg
Argentina_Rio Blanco_001 by , on Flickr[/IMG)

Rio Blanco.

42862959652_9fe374392b_b.jpg
[/url]Argentina_Laguna Piedras Blancas_002 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Laguna Piedras Blancas

Of course it might be hard to carry all that gear you're planning to take.
Good luck.
RF35

I went only to the very south, where it juts toward Antarctica (Patagonia), Los Glaciares National Park, home to the massive Perito Moreno Glacier. Which is a great sight. I love Argentina, the people are great, the scenery is first class. Here are a few impressions:

[[/url]Argentina_Rio Blanco_001 by , on Flickr[/IMG)

Rio Blanco.

Laguna Piedras Blancas

Of course it might be hard to carry all that gear you're planning to take.
Good luck.
RF35
Very natural colours - I like them. Which film and lens combinations did you bring with you?

My advice is take the least possible. What are the lenses you like best? For me it's a Leica M body, a 35mm & 50mm lens. I find carrying too much gear (besides the weight) just makes me spend too much time playing with the equipment, trying to decide what lens to use, what camera to use, and in the end I end up missing the view.

When I was much younger it was a 4x5. But then I had one daughter to carry the tripod, one to carry the film & holders, one to carry all the other paraphernalia, and I only needed to carry the camera -:) And then it was still only one lens.
Sound advice.

Yes, I am still paring down the gear.
Maybe just the F3+50mm Planar ZF and GA645.
I took the GA645 and Bessa-L+CV 25/4 on a circle tour London-Cornwall-Brittany-Paris-London in Summer 2016.
Paris was 35C in mid-July that year. Walk-around combo was only that Bessa and 25/4.
My best photos were without a doubt taken with the GA645 on Porta 400 and Acros 100.

For Malaysia and Japan in 2018, I took the Bessa R4M, CV Ultron-M 35/1.7, CV 25/4, CV15/4.5 and Canon 50/1.4 LTM.
Actual usage, 35/1.7 60pc, 25/4, 20pc, GA645 20pc. I didn’t use the 15 and 50.
(50 is terrible on R4 due to small bright lines)
Again, many of best were on GA645.

What made it best for me?
Tonality, Color reproduction of Provia on MF over Portra on 35mm. Details captured by Acros 100/120 in ancient towns of Brittany.

I most commonly use 35mm and 50mm lens for everyday. More heavily lean on 50mm.
MF is more for special photo events of which travel is one.

You sure you want to go to both Iguazu and Ushuaia on the same trip? You need both summer and winter cloth, Iguazu is tropical, hot and humid while Ushuaia will be wintery cold with rain, possibly snow. When I go, I'm usually based in Buenos Aires and take one trip either South, North, or West, ... but not more than one trip because otherwise I have to pack twice as many things.

Take the boat trip into the water falls of Iguazu -- its amazing and so much fun for the family! But don't take a camera on the boat, you will literally drive through one of the biggest waterfalls in the world and everything will be soaking wet. The view of the waterfall is much better from the Brazilian side, though. Stay away from the lemurs at the train station in Iguzau, they can hurt you really bad and steal everything that is shiny or looks like food ;)

There's a cool tiny little zoo in Iguazu with exotic birds you should visit. You walk through the rain forest and see all these amazing parrots! When you walk through Buenos Aires you'll see parrots flying around, too, just like your local pigeons at home. :D That's about all you can do in Iguazu: waterfall and the tiny zoo. Not worth spending more than two nights. The town is pretty horrible and full of begging (and stealing) kids.
Thank-you for the detailed Iguazu advice. We are definitely planning to go to Brazil side. I understand the border crossing between AR and BR at that area is often a lax arrangement however we are getting our yellow fever shots just in case the Brazil border guards demand it.
Only 1/5 dose shots are available here (Vancouver).

Risk of soaking wet gear, maybe I should bring the Fuji disposable 800!

We have travelled a broad North-South distance in the same season before.
Early March in Malaysia and late March in S Korea (35C to 15C) and from Malaysia to Melbourne in June (35C to 12C) and from Egypt to Paris in November (30C to 8C).
Being from Vancouver we already have layered, compactable rain and cool weather gear. Having to pack for two seasons does double up on your pre-check list, laundry list and the where did I leave it list.
Your point is well taken though on the distances and transfers. We can easily lose 4-5 days out of 28 on the flights within Argentina and this will have to be managed more carefully or we will be wasting time meditating arguments between bored kids while we are waiting for a flight.

Please be careful. My friend's wife, a Latina from another Latin country, was physically hurt when she was thrown to the ground by one thug while another snatched her bag.

This happened in Buenes Aries. One perp was captured; the other got away; and the captured one was convicted and is now serving time.

Cal
Golly!
Thanks for the warning Cal. I hope your friend's wife recovered quickly.
We will have several travel health insurance plans but those only fix the after the fact. They are not preventative.
As giganova advised we will have to pack small, secure and discreet.

if you have time, you can take boat from Buenos Aires to Montevideo Uruguay. its smaller city but really liked it and hope to visit again some day.

Golly!
Thanks for the warning Cal. I hope your friend's wife recovered quickly.
We will have several travel health insurance plans but those only fix the after the fact. They are not preventative.
As giganova advised we will have to pack small, secure and discreet.

M,

I just want you to have a safe trip. Seems like a shooter's paradise.

Take note how rugged the country is. Kinda like B.C.

Cal

if you have time, you can take boat from Buenos Aires to Montevideo Uruguay. its smaller city but really liked it and hope to visit again some day.
Ah, Montevideo, the beaches of the rich & famous! A lot of A-list celebrities from Hollywood live or spend some time there. :D

Right across the river from Buenos Aires is Colonia, a historic colonial town that is amazing, especially for photography.

Very natural colours - I like them. Which film and lens combinations did you bring with you?

I was using mostly Velvia 50. The lenses were Carl Zeiss 35/2.0 ZM Biogon and 21/4.5 ZM Biogon, I seldom had need for longer than these, even though I did carry with me 85/4 ZM Telle-Tessar.

We did South America in three different trips. Big continent!
The north, center, and south..

One piece of advice; be aware of your surroundings!!
Dont venture to much in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, specially after dark.

With the above caveat, take in the art, the music, culture.. Argentina is a treasure for the photographer; really hospitable and friendly folks.

Our purpose was somewhat different; but could not help staying much longer than planned!!

p3659405340-4.jpg

p3659406145-5.jpg

Aconcagua!! My wife couldn't resist the summit at about 6900 meters!!

Wish you a wonderful and safe trip.

Be careful just in Buenos Aires, all the other places are tourist areas. Buenos Aires is best taken with a small unobstrusive camera, such as an Oly XA or a similar P&S. I do not recommend going around with expensive gear there -- but it is a great city. If you need supplies in B.A., go to "Centro Mayorista" in Libertad street close to the Colon theater. More expensive than U.S. but they have the goods, usually.

Iguazú falls are great - take the Brazil side in the afternoon, Argentina side in the morning. The zoo and jungle trails there are great. Hot and humid, not a place to tote around too much weight or gear. Color is mandatory there.

The South is very different, probably windy and much cooler. In your planning, consider that it may not be possible to sail every day or even go outside.

I concur with the "too much gear" opinion. An F3 and a zoom such as 28-70 or 35-105 would do the job. Take a backup, a small digi or a film P&S.

Argentina is a great country with some of the best landscapes in the world. Besides what you are planning to visit, the Bariloche area is also an incredible place, especially the lakes.

And yes, consider visiting Colonia from B.A., a day visit is more than enough and your family will enjoy it.

I have taken the advice of all input here, plus local people and, most important, my wife and rationalized the scope of travel.
Still plan to be there from mid Dec to mid Jan.
We will centre ourselves in BA with 3 day trips to Iguazu, Montevideo/Punta del Este and maybe Valdez Peninsula (Puerto Madryn, Punta Tombo)
We will stay in BA during the Christmas-New Year period to minimize impact of closures and enjoy local celebrations.
We can switch locality of accommodation in BA after each short trip to experience different neighbourhoods.

Patagonia is just too far.
Plus, vainly, from the pictures Patagonia seems similar to British Columbia where we live. Different ends of the same tectonic action. We don't have penguins or toucans though. Just salmon and grizzly bears.

Now, back to cameras.
Maybe just the GA645 and Konica Auto S3.

Or GA645 and Bessa R4M plus CV35/1.7 and CV15/4.5.

Or Konica Auto S3 and Bessa-L plus CV15/4.5.

We finally bought air tickets.
Arrive at Foz do Iguacu, Brazil mid-December.
Depart Buenos Aires.
Total of 4 weeks.

Now thinking after Iguacu, Brazil (3 night), Iguazu, Argentina (2 night). Is this place worth 5 nights? Probably not but we have two children (10,5) and they will need to acclimate and get over jet lag. (+5hr)

Following this area, take it slow through Posadas, Ibera National Park, Rosario then BA.
Following BA, fly to Trelew for Valdez Peninsula and Punta Tombo.
Maybe Montevideo at the end if there is time.

I'm still leaving towards the GA645 with FM3A with Zeiss 50/1.4.
GA645 for Provia 100, Porta 160/220 and Acros 100 when we are at the falls and in small towns.
FM3A with 50 for BA people and closeup of what catches my eye in BA plus some
penguin shots at Punta Tombo. Maybe take the 75-150/3.5 just for the penguins.

I have Bessa-L and 25/4. Thinking of this for any wide angle needs at Iguazu or in city. Maybe at Itaipu Dam near Iguazu.
It is also small and discreet if needed.

Also have the R4M but it weighs 150g more than the L but has better handling, RF focus and not much larger.
May get a 21/4 M-mount and use it for walk-about on -L or 4M instead of 25/4.

Maybe get a 50 M mount, keep the 25/4 and ditch the Nikon.
Digital zoom on iPhone 11 may be good enough for any tele needs given that Nikon FM3a plus 50 plus zoom is 3lb/1.5kg.

After all those warnings, I think I would only bring my Fuji X10 and keep it in my pocket! Or maybe the Leicasonic D-lux 4, which is even smaller.

Have a great trip, and be safe!

Back