Arizona arizona, anybody?

smiling gecko

pure dumb luck, my friend
Local time
1:40 AM
not sure where else to post this...

hello, 106 days until we move to prescott valley, az!!!

finally retiring and would like to hear from photo folks near central arizona and in new mexico...and actually anyone elsewhere so inclined to reply.:)

i mainly shoot square format b&w (mamiya 6 or rolleiflex 6002 or diana or h’blad super side or kershaw folder)...and some 8x10 and 11x14...and eeeeek iphone camera.

hopefully will have space for a darkroom - it’s been a few years without one...a long few years.

you can see some of my images on flickr.com. my screen name is “thesmilingecko”

have a great day,
kenneth

Lovely area. I've only visited, but I could certainly see it as a place to live. I found myself utilizing various B&W contrast filters quite a bit when I shot in that region.

Congratulations on retirement and the move. Only visited AZ and NM but it's a beautiful, otherworldly part of the country compared to the states I'm used to. Happy shooting!

Of course, you have the Grand Canyon in the north, Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument in the south, Saguaro around Tucson, Sedona just to the northeast of Prescott Valley and a million other scenic areas scattered around Arizona. New Mexico has just as much to offer--I particularly like the mountains of the northern part of the state--but the area around Silver City in the south is also scenic...along with White Sands and the various tribal areas.

There's enough to keep you busy for long time.

Terrible monsoon season but other than that and the blistering heat in the summer it is a photographers paradise.

not sure where else to post this...

hello, 106 days until we move to prescott valley, az!!!

finally retiring and would like to hear from photo folks near central arizona and in new mexico...and actually anyone elsewhere so inclined to reply.:)

i mainly shoot square format b&w (mamiya 6 or rolleiflex 6002 or diana or h’blad super side or kershaw folder)...and some 8x10 and 11x14...and eeeeek iphone camera.

hopefully will have space for a darkroom - it’s been a few years without one...a long few years.

you can see some of my images on flickr.com. my screen name is “thesmilingecko”

have a great day,

kenneth

I have friends who retired to Prescott about two years ago . they like it. Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon and the big National parks Zion and Bryce are not that far awa y. we are looking to St George, which is very close to AZ border. And far from the grubby hands of California politicians.

Prescott a lot cooler than Scottsdale or Phoenix. Enjoy

hey all, been busy with work and home and work and pets and...
thank you all for your time and energy sharing your thoughts and experiences.

hey pilot02, i plan on getting out of “my rut” of just using my fave 08 orange and experimenting with other filters.

kshapero, yes indeed on those filters. gut shabos in a bit.

twvancamp, oh boy am i ever!! got to roll through area around beaver dam a few times...beautiful country side.

vince lupo, i’m going to try to NOT look for aa’s tripod holes.��
seriously, i believe it will be an awe inspiring visit there and will try to walk as softly as my cherokee grandfather would.

austintatious, another one in my very deep bucket list. again, time to tread softly.

dog man, where to start?☀️i will be busy for a long time.�� i am already mulling over projects...

rfaspen, i loooove all kinds of wildlife-watching/photography, that i’ve had much experience - yet.

darthfeeble, been through/encapsulated in a few haboobs and monsoons in the past going to/through az and new mexico.

hap, we will be in prescott. i have drawn arcs on the map showing distances in 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 + miles highlighting all the places and things we hope to see...we plan on eventually getting into/around utah, colorado, wyoming and points n, s, e, and w...i will have look for st. george on the map - i be it’s gonna be good for you.

have a great day.

“breathe, relax and smile” kdl
“patience and shuffle the cards” cervantes

hey all, been busy with work and home and work and pets and...
thank you all for your time and energy sharing your thoughts and experiences.

hey pilot02, i plan on getting out of “my rut” of just using my fave 08 orange and experimenting with other filters.

kshapero, yes indeed on those filters. gut shabos in a bit.

twvancamp, oh boy am i ever!! got to roll through area around beaver dam a few times...beautiful country side.

vince lupo, i’m going to try to NOT look for aa’s tripod holes.��
seriously, i believe it will be an awe inspiring visit there and will try to walk as softly as my cherokee grandfather would.

austintatious, another one in my very deep bucket list. again, time to tread softly.

dog man, where to start?☀️i will be busy for a long time.�� i am already mulling over projects...

rfaspen, i loooove all kinds of wildlife-watching/photography, that i’ve had much experience - yet.

darthfeeble, been through/encapsulated in a few haboobs and monsoons in the past going to/through az and new mexico.

hap, we will be in prescott. i have drawn arcs on the map showing distances in 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 + miles highlighting all the places and things we hope to see...we plan on eventually getting into/around utah, colorado, wyoming and points n, s, e, and w...i will have look for st. george on the map - i be it’s gonna be good for you.

have a great day.

You are lucky you have lined up a house. Housing in Nevada, AZ, Utah....CRAZY

hey hap, eh, not yet. we are making a look-see trip out there about a month before we move to do find a place.

we will be paying a little more rent...in exchange, i believe we will have a great life out there.

Well I've lived in Arizona in the 70's, New Mexico 80's-2013, 3 year stop in San Antonio, late 80's, and now Nevada since 2013. In Arizona I lived in Scottsdale, Superior, Alpine, and Concho. New Mexico grabbed me and I stayed the longest, Grants, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces. Now Las Vegas, NV. There is also a Las Vegas, New Mexico where I never lived. I first saw Prescott in the early 70's. Nice town, nice area. Weather is more temperate than Phoenix. The late actor Steve McQueen made a movie filmed in Prescott, about a rodeo. The area has grown considerably, and I have not visited Prescott in years.

Terrible monsoon season but other than that and the blistering heat in the summer it is a photographers paradise.

Hmm... Here in NM, I live for monsoon season! The skies during that time are the most dramatic I've seen anywhere. Be prepared to have your approach to photography upended; the light is astonishing, but difficult. And it's hard to get past the cliches and see the landscape in a personal way. When I moved here from New England, I floundered for about a year before I found my groove, but ultimately that was a good experience. Best of luck to you!

Hmm... Here in NM, I live for monsoon season! The skies during that time are the most dramatic I've seen anywhere. Be prepared to have your approach to photography upended; the light is astonishing, but difficult. And it's hard to get past the cliches and see the landscape in a personal way. When I moved here from New England, I floundered for about a year before I found my groove, but ultimately that was a good experience. Best of luck to you!

Likewise for Tucson. I pray for a normal or wetter-than-normal monsoon again this year. NM already has a head start I understand. Last year was spectacular, best in decades. Daily lightning show with curb-to-curb rapids on the roads and in the washes. Nothing more wonderful than a 110°F day that changes into 70°F in the space of an hour. And the smell!

Likewise for Tucson. I pray for a normal or wetter-than-normal monsoon again this year. NM already has a head start I understand. Last year was spectacular, best in decades. Daily lightning show with curb-to-curb rapids on the roads and in the washes. Nothing more wonderful than a 110°F day that changes into 70°F in the space of an hour. And the smell!

Ah, so nice to hear from someone who "gets it"! So many folks regard those things as a nuisance, rather than a delight. I'll bet you share my love for rattlesnakes and the despised cholla (which are currently in bloom, spreading a wash of deep magenta across the landscape).

Back