Art imitating Art: Dylan Paintings Draw Scrutiny

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]True no one owns reality, but we do own the moments of reality that we capture on film, you own yours, I own mine, and Cartier Bresson owned his.
[/FONT]

:eek: I'm sorry! I strongly disagree! We own negatives, but not the real moments of reality. Reality is public and has no owner.

I don't care if Dylan was there or not when HCB hit the shutter, or if he did paint after a tale he heard, or if he saw reality on a photograph, or if he's a medium and sees things. He's free to paint anyway he wants to paint, and free to paint what for him reality means: that's art, the vision of an individual. Maybe that's what all this is about: perhaps photography isn't art if we just reflect reality, and perhaps photographers don't own moments, but negatives. He should give credit or have permission ONLY if he decides to reproduce HCB's negative, or prints from it: but he didn't, because he made a painting with colors: a new work. It was based on reality, yes, and it was a reality seen first by HCB, yes, and later by Dylan on a photograph, yes, so what? :p

What you say would make sense if Dylan was found guilty in trying to hide any proof of HCB's photograph existence... :p

Cheers,

Juan

Photography can be art. It happens when it includes creation. Photography can be a white canvas too. We can decide which road to take, every frame... It doesn't have to reflect reality always, just as painting hasn't either. I respect both kinds of photography and both kinds of paintings.

Cheers,

Juan

Dylan should have given credit to the people who made the photographs. When I studied Philosophy at university I had to give credit to someone's idea whether it be used in a direct or indirect manner, why should it not be the case here? Dylan is basically regurgitating an idea and innovation is lost. It seems Dylan knows nothing of professional etiquette.

Dylan should have given credit to the people who made the photographs. When I studied Philosophy at university I had to give credit to someone's idea whether it be used in a direct or indirect manner, why should it not be the case here? Dylan is basically regurgitating an idea and innovation is lost. It seems Dylan knows nothing of professional etiquette.

This is, pretty much, my exact issue with this whole thing! and for an artist with such great success in music he should be more gracious about the whole thing!

Back