Article on Dennis Feldman's 1960s Street Work

Joe Vitessa

Well-known
Local time
5:39 PM
Interesting read and photos on Slate.com: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2..._and_70s_hollywood.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_fb_ru

"Making a picture was also a lot more expensive. Although today it doesn’t sound like much, Feldman said he would spend around $3 on a roll of film and then additional expenses when developing and printing the images for chemicals and paper. In total, each image would cost him roughly 50 cents."

Does that amount seem high to photogs who where shooting in the 1960s? Maybe not...

He has some interesting shots in that article. Considering that he was shooting medium format it does make sense to have cost him 50 cent each.

“People were very flattered in a lot of cases,” Feldman said. “That they deserved the attention of a picture. A picture was more important [back then].”

It took me a while to realize that world no longer exists. I used to carry a lot of angst because I could not match the vibe of photos like these. But, now I just accept the world is different, we're different, and photos are different.

Great article. Thank you for sharing it.

Back