Georgia Atlanta, GA

There's a member on RFF by the name of Rob who lives in the Hotlanta area. I live roughly 100 miles South of the city, just below Macon.

Walker

Awesome, I actually live in Alpharetta, Georgia (about an hour north of Atlanta), but I will soon be going off to Georgia Tech this fall. It seems like the photo community in Georgia is small, and there aren't many stores around. I'm looking for anyone that has any more information about the photo community around Atlanta.

pmazer said:
Awesome, I actually live in Alpharetta, Georgia (about an hour north of Atlanta), but I will soon be going off to Georgia Tech this fall. It seems like the photo community in Georgia is small, and there aren't many stores around. I'm looking for anyone that has any more information about the photo community around Atlanta.

First, congratulations on going to GT. I'm a life-long ACC fan and GT is my 2nd favorite team..... behind the MD Terps. :D One of my sons is a UGA Dawg grad who lives and works in the Atlanta area. He's a died-in-the-wool Terps fan too!

You may want to watch for Rob on these threads. He's aware of all the places to go around Hotlanta for photo gear. There's only one true photography store near me and that's Coke's Camera in Macon. I've learned to ask if I don't see what I want. The owner can often pull things from shelves, drawers or the back of the store that are surprising.

If you ever get down this way, give me a shout.

Walker

I'll definitely watch for Rob. I think I'm going to PM him to ask about places too. I've actually thought about going to some small towns around Macon as a road trip to do some shooting, so if I do, I'll definitely give you a shout!

Actually, I live in Dahlonega—about 40 minutes north of you! One of the best places for used gear (and the world's largest, according to them) is KEH Camera in NW Atlanta off I-285 and South Atlanta Road exit (remember where they had that bad wreck with several semis a week or so back on the preimeter? That's near the exit—two west of 75/285) Kevin Ames, the famous fashion photographer and several ad agency creatives are friends from my old days in IT and are sources i'll be tapping from time to time. As they share info, I'll gladly pass it on! I'm waiting delivery of my new Bessa R3A and a Nokton 40mm/f1.4 lens to start MY RF adventures!
Rob "MacDaddy" White

I'm in Decatur...a UGA grad but don't hold that against me. My stepson will probably end up at Tech next year. Check out Wing's Camera at the corner of Briarcliff and Clairmont right off I-85. They're a real, film-based photo store and handle a lot of consignment gear. I've had some E-6 processed through their lab and been happy with the results. The aforementioned Rob can probably tell you more. I believe he's a friend of the owner.

I've had great service from KEH but it's my understanding that the don't have a showroom.

I've had a couple of cameras overhauled at Jack's Camera at the corner of Clairmont and North Decatur near Emory. He seems to know his stuff and has done good work for me.

Welcome.

Back