New York August 2022 Meet-Up

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
9:47 AM
Snarky Joe made a point that the old August thread I kept alive is nearing a year old. As usual he is correct and that I tend to cause confusion. Anyways that’s maybe why people think I’m fun.

So I started a new thread for another Meet-Up at the Astoria Beer Garden. My grandson is expected to be born on Labor Day, so I would like to schedule the August Meet-Up for the first Sunday in August just in case “The Citter” is anxious like the rest of “Maggie’s” family and decides to be born early.

Right now I’m in the ER. Columbia Presbyterian has an extension here in Peekskill. The antibiotics from urgent care did little to my leg infection. I have Celulitis. My right calf is pretty swollen. Xray, ultra sound, and an IV already. Lots of bloodwork. So far infection has not gotten into my bones, no indication of clots.

Since I am older my skin is getting thinner. Also dry skin and X-Ah-Ma promote my chances of Celulitis.

So I report that the ER up here in the lower Hudson Valley is well behaved, good mannered, and not like a NYC ER. Really great that Peekskill has a major hospital. This was one of the selling points to why we chose to move here.

So AUGUST 2022 MEET-UP on the FIRST SUNDAY in AUGUST.

Cal

Yeah, a meet-up... August 7th.
Hope you get over that infection quickly.
Joe

I’m on a new second IV. I just found out that I’m staying overnight in the hospital. Oh-well. One IV was for anaerobic bacteria, and the other aerobic bacteria. I’m told they need the blood and urine tests to find out what kind of infection to target. I guess the swelling in my leg is of concern.

Anyways this is getting taken care of.

Looking forward to the AUGUST 7th Meet-UP.

I got some smut from a nurse. She thinks that the reports about Covid natural immunity are true, and she thinks it is related to blood type. She reported that she has B+ blood type the same as me. Only 5% of the population has B+ blood.

Cal

Looks like I’ll be hospitalized for 2-3 days. Pretty much they have to monitor the doses of IV antibiotics. They are growing cultures to specifically target the bacteria. This takes time.

Last time I stayed overnight in a hospital I likely was 4 years old. That was over 60 years ago. Somehow I tied a rope around a brick and threw it over a swing set giving myself a concussion.

Last time I was in an ER was at the Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital downtown. I had mentioned to my Hematologist some bright spots in my vision in one eye, and he told me to go get this checked out pronto as an emergency because it might be a detached retina.

That ER visit was horrifying. There was this Chinese immigrant family, and it was easy to figure out that an adult son had punched his father in the nose breaking it. There was blood everywhere as in a horror movie. The father was screaming in pain, meanwhile the wait was over an hour. When I saw the doctor The farther with the broken nose was being treated and he was in an adjoining examination room, and it sounded like he was being tortured.

Ended up that my Vacuious Gel in my eye was separating which happens in old people. The artifacts I was seeing are called “floaters.” They just had to be monitored. I believe this was my left eye and I was told that eventually this will happen to my other eye, but it never did. This was perhaps a decade ago or maybe 12 years or so.

Back in the ER, the Chinese father was leaving without treatment to make the sone who hit him suffer. The entire family was there and it became clear to me who was to blame. Lots of drama, but also something one would see in a Tarantino film. You can’t make this stuff up.

My room is really nice. I have a view of the road from the fourth floor. Can’t wait to leave. The IV’s are making me pee frequently. The vibe is of a nursing home.I wonder what I will obsess about… I’m so bored.

Cal

I figured out I could edit the thread title to avoid confusion. Anyways at least try to.

I guess this is some down time for me.

Cal

That's a serious infection, Calzone. It's boring lying around hooked up to tubes, but get well soon.

Get well Cal. Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

I’m getting an IV of antibiotics every 12 hours.

The care is great here and is first rate.

Anyways because this is the first time I have been hospitalized in 60 years, and I am 64 years old, I’m trying to think of some deeper meaning here. As I build out my Baby-Victorian out as a retirement bunker, I wonder… seems like a good time to exploit to reflect because I have the time to sort things out.

Lately there has been a push to rushing to get things done for a sense of accomplishment, but there is a price to pay. Not sure the trade off in quality of life is worth it. There are things I would rather do like biking and photography. My thinking is balance is missing, and perhaps I have to rethink how I approach retirement. Pretty much I am still working/hammering away so I can move forward.

Cal

Perhaps you're overthinking this even though, at least in my mind, photography is always better than worrying about kitchen cabinets. This said I've had cellulitis in both hands and forearms a few weeks ago. Lots of antibiotics cleared it in about 7 days. Painful but cold compresses did help. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Cheers, OtL

Perhaps you're overthinking this even though, at least in my mind, photography is always better than worrying about kitchen cabinets. This said I've had cellulitis in both hands and forearms a few weeks ago. Lots of antibiotics cleared it in about 7 days. Painful but cold compresses did help. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Cheers, OtL

OTL,

Thanks for the thought. I’m seeing that my life should have more fun in it.

Seems like the dry skin condition I have can promote Cellulitis. I’ll have to be more careful with wounds to dress them and clean them to prevent this from happening again.

Cal

Looks like my hospital stay will be extended to at least 5-days. Seems like I have a variant that failed to respond to the typical treatment that I got at an urgent care. I seem to be responding to the UBER strong antibiotics that need careful monitoring. The calf looks better today, and the great news is that my blood and bones are clear of infection, so the infection is limited in scope. Hopefully I don’t have a superbug.

Cal

Looks like my hospital stay will be extended to at least 5-days. Seems like I have a variant that failed to respond to the typical treatment that I got at an urgent care. I seem to be responding to the UBER strong antibiotics that need careful monitoring. The calf looks better today, and the great news is that my blood and bones are clear of infection, so the infection is limited in scope. Hopefully I don’t have a superbug.

Cal

If you turn out to be infected with a superbug, read this:

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releas...-multidrug-resistant-bacterial-infection.aspx

RR,

Thanks for the link.

I’m not in danger or near death. I seem to have some bacteria that is resistant to the standard treatment, but I’m responding well to this other IV treatment. The calf is looking better.

This down time is a bit like a vacation. Been day dreaming and thinking, but I realize that I need to work less and have some fun every day. I have to make some adjustments…

This really has been a good opportunity to reflect.

Cal

I have a staff infection. It is not in my blood or bones, and they are going to perform a MRI to ensure that the bone is not affected.

For three dats now bacteria have been growing in Petri dishes, and so far all they know that it is a staff, but they do not know which variant to target. The IV I’m on is like a nuclear weapon that kills everything. It has to be carefully monitored because it stresses the kidneys, so they need to avoid collateral damage.

So like in film development it takes time for things to reveal the right amount of detail to ID the staff bacteria. It will take a few more days to determine which staff bacteria to target. I could be able to go home this weekend, or worse case Monday.

Cal

Cal, get well. That infection does not sound like fun.
It is like the old days though, with Cal posting all day from a hospital and this time you have a window!
We are heading out of town for a few weeks, but I'll be back for the meetup. I got an electric bike, so I'll see what I can load it up with and schlepp over to Astoria.

Cal, get well. That infection does not sound like fun.
It is like the old days though, with Cal posting all day from a hospital and this time you have a window!
We are heading out of town for a few weeks, but I'll be back for the meetup. I got an electric bike, so I'll see what I can load it up with and schlepp over to Astoria.

Devil Christian,

While the day job was a bunker like a dungeon I now am in a a 4th floor penthouse overlooking Compound Road. Had a MRI yesterday.

Been doing research on replacing a rear oil seal on the 250 ci I-6. I can see engine oil collecting and running down. Likely the clutch is oiled and will need to be replaced. I have the Chevy alignment tool leftover from when I installed the Corvette engine in the Jeep. Nice thing is the 3-speed tranny in the C-10 is not a 200 pound transmission.

I think you will love how the camera known as The Devil Christian turned out.

Cal

Update is that the MRI reinforces and confirms that the infection did not pass to the bone. Perhaps any day now they will I.D. The particular bacteria to target the bacteria soon. We are on day 4 of the Petri dish culture developing…

Hoping to get discharged tomorrow or Monday. The antibiotics I’ll take at home would be pills. The increased dose of IV has caused the side effect of itchy palms, itchy palms is a sign of surprise money. MRI displayed the full extent of the infection which was from below the knee to my ankle. It will take a month for the swelling to totally go away.

Been watching American Pickers. I guess I love old things and fixing them up. I also love the sense of history and culture. Reinforced my love for my cameras, my house, and my old truck. Very educational. I don’t know if any of you guys and gals love the history and stories.

Cal

Been released from the hospital and I’m home. 5 more days of antibiotics and then I have to get looked at again. The antibiotics for home use are pills. Have to drink lots of water to avoid kidney stones. It will take a couple of weeks for the swelling to subside.

My neighbor cut my lawn, which was really cool.

I have to take it easy for a week still. This 14th the free couch/bed gets delivered. Would be great if they can get it upstairs, otherwise it will have to stay in the porch. The couch turns into a full sized bed.

Saw a nice 1950 Chevy step side. I found out that it is for sale, but too much of a show truck for me, and perhaps so clean and dressed up that it is no longer a truck, but it was pretty. I did see some flaws where the paint chipped and I can see bondo was used. Not really a restoration when plastic is used. Anyways I love my C10 more, and it is a real truck that will carry lumber and bails of peat moss.

Got a hard copy catalog for Chevy trucks 1947-1998. No shortage of parts. From the show “American Pickers” I learned that rat-rods and retro-mods are the current trends. Pretty much they want honest wear and a patina to tell a story. My truck does it well.

Tomorrow the kitchen and powder room get speckled and sanded, then paint touch ups Tuesday. Saturday is the baby shower for the grandson at our house.

All I know is that it is great to be home, and that I need to slow down a bit.

Cal

Pete,

Great to be home.

A new skill I have to learn is to really relax. I’m going to have to include in each day something fun and start biking. I also have a lot of film to shoot.

I guess as much as I promote that I’m a lazy-slacker, the fact is that I’m still a bit overwound.

Time to rebalance. Anyways still adapting to retirement.

As usual Snarky Jo is yet again correct, “I have mucho time” and pretty much my rushing is crazy.

Cal

Back