Australia/New Zealand Aussie Wild Life

mfunnell

Shaken, so blurred
Local time
7:27 PM
Today, on our bicycle ride, Dad and I were, um, visited by a couple of these guys:

(that breed, but not that individual bird; we didn't stop so I have no photos from today's ride except for a quick iPhone shot at the end)

Dad was hit near simultaneously from the left and right. One of 'em (I'll call him Manfred) circled back repeatedly and hit him three more times on the shoulder. The other (who I'll call Max) did an Immelmann Turn and came back for me, hitting me three times on the back of my helmet.

Everything is dangerous, down under - even the birds 😂

...Mike

P.S. I refer to the birds as 'him' because only the males swoop like this, and only a (fairly) small proportion of them. But they seem to have a special hatred for cyclists.

Last edited:
Glad you made it out intact... ...makes you wonder if there was a nest or ground nest nearby. (I'm not an ornithology 🐣 expert) :)

Glad you made it out intact... ...makes you wonder if there was a nest or ground nest nearby. (I'm not an ornithology 🐣 expert) :)
According to the stats, only 12.8% of magpie attacks result in injury. I'm glad to be in the 77.2% this time..

...Mike

My wife and I were swooped a couple of times on our route to the new Northern Rivers Rail Trail, but lately he's left us alone. Apparently magpies can remember 20 faces so I guess he's decided we're OK. Magpies are very territorial so it will be interesting to see if he remembers us next year. We had a terrible time with the bird at the local oval the first year we lived here but since then he will let us walk quite close to him.

Cheers,
Clay

Many moons ago, while paddling a canoe I survived a similar airborne assault on my noggin from an unknown bird in The Netherlands. I had to get stitches and a tetanus shot. Cheers, OtL

Cassowary, Daintree National Park, Oz. A snapshot on a Panasonic Lumix zoom. The bird was crossing the river at a pretty good pace, gotta use what is at hand.

Last edited:
A female kookaburra near Katherine Gorge, Oz. Yeah, I missed the focus a bit, but hadda take the shot while I had the opportunity. Canon SX700 HS, zoomed way out.

Last edited:
Magpie in a local park. This one decided I was friendly, even though it was spring. We also have a family that regularly visits our back yard.
Nikon 1 V1.

15582811225_73d2e6619c_b.jpg

magpie #5744-800 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Back