Australia down under!

sara

Well-known
Local time
5:40 AM
Hi all,
Am travelling to Melbourne at the end of the month...the last time I went there I was 8 years old and not a photographer 😂

I’m not sure if it’s the same but I was wondering if anyone knows any second hand camera shops there? Im just looking for a distagon lens for my Hasselblad and wondering if anyone knows where I can look for one....

I agree that the Camera Exchange is good. Though since it moved out of the CBD several years ago I lost track of it as I was usually in Melbourne on business and could not get out to the 'burbs' very much.

There are also a couple of stores in the CBD that seem to have a good track record of high end equipment including some MF stuff from memory.

Camera Lane at 391 Little Burke St is tiny but I recall it usually having some good quality 2nd hand gear and I have bought a few lenses from them over the years (Nikon and Leica). Though I don't get to Melbourne as much these days and its been a few years since I have transacted business with them. Obviously I cant vouch for whether they have the Distagon you crave.

The other one that comes to mind is Michaels Camera Store at the corner of Elizabeth and Londsdale Streets in the CBD. It used to have and may still have a reasonable selection of 2nd hand gear in their large window display fronting Londsdale St. Again I have no idea if they have what you are after but all of the above have web sites you can consult.

Good luck and enjoy. I live in Adelaide but I love Melbourne - its a gracious city with a distinct European feel and lots to photograph.

Here is a selection of Melbourne themed Flickr groups.

https://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?text=melbourne

Sara, +1 for the Box Hill camera market, if your're staying that long in Melbourne. It is held three times a year. I'll be down from Sydney for this. Some say it's the most fun you can have standing up.
Camera Exchange, also in Box Hill, is a bit far by public transport but the market is 5 minutes walk form the station. Camera Lane has nice people and is in the centre of the the city.

Hi all,
Am travelling to Melbourne at the end of the month...the last time I went there I was 8 years old and not a photographer 😂

I’m not sure if it’s the same but I was wondering if anyone knows any second hand camera shops there? Im just looking for a distagon lens for my Hasselblad and wondering if anyone knows where I can look for one....

Hi Sara,

have a look here:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165802

In this thread you will find lots of links to about all sources for film photographers in Melbourne. Used camera shops, labs, film supply, meetings etc. The film photography scene is very active there! Have fun!

Cheers, Jan

Hey guys thanks for your suggestions!
Unfortunately I won’t be around when Box Hill camera event happens. I’ll be travelling from Aug 22-4th sept. (Couldn’t plan it later because my cousin won’t be free after these dates).

And I’m based in Malaysia now so no, I can’t check any local shops here because there aren’t many who do sell film cameras, especially a distagon lens. I bought my Hasselblad in London.

And I’m based in Malaysia now so no, I can’t check any local shops here because there aren’t many who do sell film cameras, especially a distagon lens. I bought my Hasselblad in London.

Maybe you can also make a stop in Singapore.
Singapore has several excellent used camera shops. When I was there it was amazing to see the variety which were offered. I've seen many very rare cameras and lenses there I've never seen in real life before. Singapore's used cameras shops are well worth a visit. And it is not so far away from Kuala Lumpur where you are located.

Back