Australia/New Zealand Australians urged to bypass online geo-blocks that can double price of IT products.

When I asked the salesperson about the high price of film at Vanbar Melbourne the answer was "It's the way God intended" They are not afraid to sell Ilford paper at double the price even when it's old. Some chemicals have gone three years past their sell by date but the price is adjusted to inflation rather than age.

Then you get these commercials that tell us you should buy in OZ rather than on the internet to keep retail going and save jobs, true but retail should adjust to reality to.

I think some shops in OZ still think they are in pre online times when they had a monopoly and could ask what ever they wanted.

Dont even get me started on service... she'll be right mate.

A very good beer, Westmalle trippel trappist in Belgium, 2.5 euro in a cafe. A pint of piss here $8.

Oops, better watch out what I say. Immigration might be watching RFF.

A very good beer, Westmalle trippel trappist in Belgium, 2.5 euro in a cafe. A pint of piss here $8.

Oops, better watch out what I say. Immigration might be watching RFF.
Try Finland, about $15 USD for a pint of draft.

Most price gouging (IMHO) can be laid directly at the government's feet. In the US we have all kinds of hidden taxes in the price of a product so that people believe they are being gouged by the manufacturer when in reality a big part of the price is hidden taxes and the price of meeting the gov's "requirements". Of course large corporations go to bed with the government to enact "requirements" and drive out competition, thus maintaining market share. they are more than willing to share profit with the government.

I need a 35 and a 75 cron to complete my kit,... just wondering whether its actually cheaper to fly to the US and buy and fly back, rather than buy in Melbourne !!!

I need a 35 and a 75 cron to complete my kit,... just wondering whether its actually cheaper to fly to the US and buy and fly back, rather than buy in Melbourne !!!
They'll get you on GST going through customs, when you make a personal importation into the country with them...apart from certain dollar limits and categories of goods there is no automatic GST exemption simply because you are returning from overseas. In fact, for items priced under the AUD $1000 postage exemption limit you are better off getting them mailed in and legally sidestepping the GST than you would be, bringing them back in a suitcase.
Cheers
Brett

Wow, you guys really aren't selling Australia to me very well. Does not sound like a great place to live...

Erik, we may criticise our politicians, moan about the price of eggs and so on but never, ever say to an Aussie it doesn't sound like a great place to live. For most of us it's our little corner of paradise in the south seas where things are right MOST of the time...... I can sympathise though with a lot of the sentiments expressed here about the the prices of things especially photographically speaking. I myself haven't bought a roll of film Downunder for probably 10 years. But there are exceptions and you need to shop around. I for instance am picking up a brand new (not grey import) Leica ME from the long established Photoco camera store here in Adelaide tomorrow for $5499 Aussie dollars. Factor in that this includes 10%GST and our dollar is about 92cents to the greenback, find me a cheaper price anywhere in the world? Mainline Photo are selling the new CV 50 1.5 Nokton for $A895 or $995 (chrome), again including GST. Might I suggest considerably cheaper than Stateside considering the exchange rate at present. Vanbar often have Leica lens specials that are competitive worldwide. You just need to watch, wait, then swoop.

Back