Auto white balance

M

mfs

Contrary to the excellent Canon 5D auto white balance, the M8 auto white balance seems inaccurate at times. I had an indoor demonstration, and the auto WB was frequently too warm. This was, of course, corrected in Photoshop, but still, I am concerned that the auto WB seems to be in need of improvement.
Perhaps the firmware was not adequately tested before release. The version that I used was 1.07.
Any one else note this problem??

Martin

M8 white balance

M8 white balance

I shot inside a gymnasium yesterday where there was tungsten lighting, with WB on auto, and it was way off. Set manually at tungsten it was better. Still needed tweaking later.

I don't use digital. I do frequent a forum where I am A.) about the oldest human there and B.) about the only film user.

Those folks were talking about WB setting recently. Actually, a lot. There is something called an Omni Wheel I think? It goes on the front of your lens and is used to set white balance. The other suggestion was a standard coffee filter over the lens. I'm thinking the flat full size Melita filters would be perfect. Keep a couple in your bag for setting WB.

yes, there is something also

yes, there is something also

that comes with sekonic meters, maybe the same thing. My Pentax *ist has very bad auto white balance detection, it cannot determine tungsten/halogen lighting, and the colors are always off, I always have to manually set them.

Another camera I have, a Lumix FZ3 has much better auto white balance indoors.

I wouldn't trust the AWB setting, unless shooting RAW (DNG) with JPG so you can tweak easily later. If shooting JPG only, be sure you get it right the first time.

venchka said:
I don't use digital. I do frequent a forum where I am A.) about the oldest human there and B.) about the only film user.

Those folks were talking about WB setting recently. Actually, a lot. There is something called an Omni Wheel I think? It goes on the front of your lens and is used to set white balance. The other suggestion was a standard coffee filter over the lens. I'm thinking the flat full size Melita filters would be perfect. Keep a couple in your bag for setting WB.

Has anybody tried using an expodisc to set a custom white balance for a given shooting situation? I've found it a useful tool with almost every digital SLR I've used.

Back