Autocord, Leica III, USSR Leica Copy, Rollei 35, Nikon SLR OR something else?

Autocord, Leica III, USSR Leica Copy, Rollei 35, Nikon SLR OR something else?

• Minolta Autocord

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Pre-War Leica

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • USSR Leica Copy

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Rollei 35

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Nikon SLR

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Some other camera

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Don't buy them a camera!

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
Rollei 35 is a perfect choice. Small, masculine, solid, attractive, fondle-able, useful, and even in your price range. They're like little sculptures, icons to the industrial age. Even as a desk paperweight they're cool. Great idea. You can send me a nice chrome 35S for the advice. Thanks. :)

Just won a Rollei 35S off of eBay for $104.

I was thinking about getting everyone the standard Rollei 35 and then, in the same font on the front, adding a "JC" on the end of the name to make "Rollei 35 JC". A new edition (is this sacrilege?).

JC stands for Jeremy and Cristina (soon to be Mr and Mrs Jeremy Krumsick). :).

Some other thoughts on customizing:

Changing leathers from cameraleathers.com
Adding further engraving.

Anything else I can do to customize the cameras and make them more commemorative?

Just won a Rollei 35S off of eBay for $104.

I was thinking about getting everyone the standard Rollei 35 and then, in the same font on the front, adding a "JC" on the end of the name to make "Rollei 35 JC". A new edition (is this sacrilege?).

Um, yes. It is sacrilege.

Anyone can use a leatherman tool.
Only a few can or want to use a classic camera.

It's an ok idea, but I do think that it's a little unfair to engrave innocent and working classic cameras. It's not like they're making more of them, and there's only so many nice ones to go around.

I vote something else. As much as I'd be amused receiving one, I don't think many people would unless they were really into film photography. Many digital shooters don't get much of a kick out of classic cameras...

If it's me, I would give them 7 holgas and some dollar notes rolled on the take up spool :)

other ideas: horizon 202 or s3? still available brand new i believe

Kind of feels like Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball, but it might work out if most of these guys are into photography - if those are into it, it might rub off on the others too.

If your budget is $300 ea., I think a Canonet or Yashica would be cooler...and statistically-speaking more reliable.

I think pre-war Leica and Nikon FE/FM would be best for under $300.
P.S. Any room for one more groomsman?
Jonathan - Shoots film, will definitely enjoy any film photography related gift :))

Rollei 35 without engraving. I'd imagine that most people would think they are cool-looking, easy to operate, and a bit one-of-a kind.
A Nikon FM and 70s RFs, while most useful are a bit run of the mill to me.
A Leica, while cool looking, is probably the least useful for a lay person and an FSU lens would be less authentic ( but I understand your budget concerns)
A holga/diana are a bit trendy and not really classics IMO.

Kind of feels like Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball.

^^ What he said.

Myself, I dislike getting something as a gift that I'll never use because I hate waste and also would feel bad if the host realized the gift wasn't useful to me.

Let's say your party is not replete with film buffs or even serious photographers, and imagine what they are thinking. No doubt they'll be gracious and all, but at the end of the day when they are headed home, do you really want their first thought to be WTF were you thinking when you decided it would be a good idea to give some... antique... film cameras to everyone. WTF is film anyway?

But if your party is full of retro-hipster film addicts, go for it. Maybe pick a model that sports a working meter.

^^ What he said.

Myself, I dislike getting something as a gift that I'll never use because I hate waste and also would feel bad if the host realized the gift wasn't useful to me.

Do gifts have to be useful though?

Ive had plenty of useful gifts over the years but ultimantly its the cool odd ones i remember.
I like the idea of gift showing your personality and having sentamental value in the futre. That being said i would be looking for gitfs that have a connection between you and each person. Whats your connection with each one? find something creative around your person connection.

Just a thought. Its a really cool idea in the first place!

^^ What he said.

Let's say your party is not replete with film buffs or even serious photographers, and imagine what they are thinking. No doubt they'll be gracious and all, but at the end of the day when they are headed home, do you really want their first thought to be WTF were you thinking when you decided it would be a good idea to give some... antique... film cameras to everyone. WTF is film anyway?

But if your party is full of retro-hipster film addicts, go for it. Maybe pick a model that sports a working meter.

Check out my earlier post about my groomsmen - I think two out of the 7 may put it on the shelf...

Sorry, I missed the earlier comment about your groomsmen. Hey, you know your buddies - do what feels right to you.

One thing is certain, it's an unusual gift idea and hopefully will be remembered fondly by all.

I have a Rollei 35 TE which I used to carry around all the time - the thing looks pristine. No, I'm not selling it. I love how it fits together mechanically and its so small that it is something of a marvel to behold. Probably many "guys" would find it interesting.

As was suggested by another including a roll of high speed film for the celebrations would be a great way of getting everyone to use it straight away.

Fully agree. I have quite a few 35/35S which probabaly will outlive me although I am only in my 30s - a little melancholy - never mind ...
:confused: Portra 400/800 for your wedding?
Sorry, I missed the earlier comment about your groomsmen. Hey, you know your buddies - do what feels right to you.

One thing is certain, it's an unusual gift idea and hopefully will be remembered fondly by all.

I have a Rollei 35 TE which I used to carry around all the time - the thing looks pristine. No, I'm not selling it. I love how it fits together mechanically and its so small that it is something of a marvel to behold. Probably many "guys" would find it interesting.

As was suggested by another including a roll of high speed film for the celebrations would be a great way of getting everyone to use it straight away.

I would be happy to load all of them with Portra 800 for the wedding.

A lot of guys mentioned an Xnay on the engraving. I definitely want to add something that connects it to the wedding. Maybe nothing as crazy as I mentioned earlier (changing the name on the front). There's not a lot of room on that camera body for engraving so I will have to be creative... I think I want to hide some engraving underneath the winder so it's only viewed when winding the film.

Anyway my first Rollei 35S is on its way so I will finally have it in my hands and I can think of some different ideas.

Anyone second the idea about the camera leathers? I was thinking different colors... Mahogany, walnut, cobalt, spring green etc...

Whatever you get them, have the engraving placed on a stick-on placard, so it doesn't ruin the value of the camera. It can always be removed later by a future owner without destroying anything.

PF

just a reminder: you may want to test shoot every one before you give them out - some Rollei 35s suffer misfocusing because laymen have adjusted focusing improperly.

maybe each groomsman gets a different color. compared to engraving, I think changing the leathertte affects the camera much less ...

I would be happy to load all of them with Portra 800 for the wedding.

A lot of guys mentioned an Xnay on the engraving. I definitely want to add something that connects it to the wedding. Maybe nothing as crazy as I mentioned earlier (changing the name on the front). There's not a lot of room on that camera body for engraving so I will have to be creative... I think I want to hide some engraving underneath the winder so it's only viewed when winding the film.

Anyway my first Rollei 35S is on its way so I will finally have it in my hands and I can think of some different ideas.

Anyone second the idea about the camera leathers? I was thinking different colors... Mahogany, walnut, cobalt, spring green etc...

Can anyone tell me why they object to engraving a camera? I don't get it. If anything it will drop the resale value (they shouldn't sell a weeding gift anyway) and make it uninteresting for collectors. So, if they sell it, it will be most likely bought by someone who wants to use it and not put it on a shelf. Kind of a win-win situation if you ask me.

Back