Awaiting the M8: Need some lenses

J. Borger said:
No the frame-lines reported are for the original focal length .. without counting the crop-factor in.
For any 21mm you need an external finder or use the 24mm as a proxy.
28mm brings up the appropriate framelines for a 28mm lens on the M8 (=ca 37mm FOV)

And yes the 50 Lux Asph focusses to 0.7m as stated by Gabrielma.

Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. So, the 28 mm lens will bring up the 28 frameline even though the actual image will be cropped from what the frameline shows - what you see is not what you will get? It seems odd to me that Leica would do it this way but then again perhaps it is better to show more and crop that show less. Thanks to all btw for your responses.

newyorkone said:
Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. So, the 28 mm lens will bring up the 28 frameline even though the actual image will be cropped from what the frameline shows - what you see is not what you will get? It seems odd to me that Leica would do it this way but then again perhaps it is better to show more and crop that show less. Thanks to all btw for your responses.
Off course you see what you get ... with automatic selection the camera brings up the framelines for a 28mm lenses MOUNTED ON THE M8 (which actualy is 37,2mm)
It would be very confusing to ask people to select 37,2mm framelines if mounting a 28mm lens.
But all selections are automatic ..... if you select manualy ... the framelines NAMES correspond with NAMES on the lens .. but the area actual shown in the viewfinder is that corrected for the crop factor.

J. Borger said:
Off course you see what you get ... with automatic selection the camera brings up the framelines for a 28mm lenses MOUNTED ON THE M8 (which actualy is 37,2mm)
It would be very confusing to ask people to select 37,2mm framelines if mounting a 28mm lens.
But all selections are automatic ..... if you select manualy ... the framelines NAMES correspond with NAMES on the lens .. but the area actual shown in the viewfinder is that corrected for the crop factor.

Thanks for the clarification. This is what I understood originally but then I got a little confused by some of the descriptions. Now I am finally clear...

So the M8 will provide "adjusted" framelines for 24 - 90 MM lenses. All other lenses will need finders.

Back