B&W Film... it's making a comeback, and it's classic!

antiquark

Derek Ross
Local time
8:12 AM
I found this picture in the latest flyer from a local camera store, Dons Photo.

So, do you think it's really true that B&W is making a comeback? Or are they just trying to get rid of a pile of expired stock? :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• bwcomeback.jpg
    bwcomeback.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
One thing that I noticed at Dons was that they seemed to have a lot less film than they did 5 years ago.

Bob

Seems like there's a lot more b&w film available than there was 30-40 years ago. It's just not available at many locations like it used to be. Back in the 60's all I remember was Kodak, Ilford, and Agfa. They all here along with other brands including student priced stuff like Kentmere.

I was at my local camera store, which has a lab, on Friday. A twenty-something clerk was helping a woman whose X700 has stopped working and she was looking at some used film cameras. "Well", she said, "I guess 35mm film is obsolete". The clerk came back with, "Yep, it is obsolete and hard to find. You won't be able to find it much longer'.

Guess who voiced HIS opinion? I didn't even think before I said, "No, it's not. There are millions still out there shooting film and it is far from dying away."

This is a lab that still develops B&W in-house and sells film of for all formats. And, the clerk is talking down one of their services down. Film will die, if the very people selling it, keep telling customers it is dead.

The owner evidently overheard my objection and came out of the digital lab to help me. I voiced my opinion to him also. He's thirty-something and still shoots large-format. He laughed and said it was hard to find someone under thirty that doesn't think film production stopped ten years ago. Interestingly enough, he said that film has turned into a pro niche market locally.

Digital cameras are great news for camera stores in some ways. They likely have never sold so many cameras as they have in recent years. Problem is that if they have a lab and make money from developing and printing as many won't bother to get prints made when they can just look at the digital images on a computer and make a few inkjets of their favourite ones.

This is a lab that still develops B&W in-house and sells film of for all formats. And, the clerk is talking down one of their services down. Film will die, if the very people selling it, keep telling customers it is dead.

The owner evidently overheard my objection and came out of the digital lab to help me. I voiced my opinion to him also. He's thirty-something and still shoots large-format. He laughed and said it was hard to find someone under thirty that doesn't think film production stopped ten years ago. Interestingly enough, he said that film has turned into a pro niche market locally.

The sales clerk probably makes no commission on lab services.

The clerk in my local Costco told me a few weeks back that digital is far superior to film and that enlargements "blow film away". Needless to say I got into a bit of a kafuffle with him. 3 weeks later my costco ceased processing film. Hope I didn't upset him too much! I just wish convenience would stop being confused with quality.

Paul

The clerk in my local Costco told me a few weeks back that digital is far superior to film and that enlargements "blow film away".

Paul

Isn't that kind of like the McDonald's saying they offer a healthy well balanced menu :)

It's funny about that Holga add, bragging about the colored filters for the flash, but then placing the camera next to several rolls of B/W film. The graphic arts layout guy for the advert probably isn't a photographer.

~Joe

Back