Back to Istanbul (not Constantinople)

jbielikowski

Jan Bielikowski
Local time
5:49 PM
Welcome dear RRFers! As the title says it took me almost four years to visit again Istanbul, had almost two weeks for walking, enyoing street food, and reset myself. Last couple times I was quite heavily focused on doing some "hardcore" street photography, but this time I slowed down, took a Spotmatic with a 50mm (plus Ricoh GR1 for "phone shots" but it died after couple days), some BW as well as color film. While I'm waiting for color film to be developed (Vision3 250D) I'm processing BW shots (Adox CHS II 100, dev. in FX-39 1+14) and I'll share them with you as I progress. I have a feeling alot is changing in Istanbul, so I decided to try and capture whats left from the "old one", I dont know when I'll be back.

BQB7vvF.jpg

R0UqxbR.jpg

nQ8ABSM.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant picture. Is this the Adox CHS II 100?
yes, thank you! most of the shots are quite thin on the negative beacuse I wanted to emphasize the harsh lighting, but this one is quite dense and it shows.

NJ4g9km.jpg

rN524aq.jpg

and a bonus version with some wide open Super-Takumar magic:

ScqyS0M.jpg

Last edited:
We just spoke about ex-Constantinople with my colleague last Thursday.
And independent Russian speaking media pays close attention to Turkey.
Looks like they have decent person elected for Major.
Turkey might vote for another change soon.

Ekrem Imamoglu, your right, only problem is he was sentenced to two years and seven months in prison by the Turkish justice system in December 2022 for "insulting a high authority of the state" (during elections for the Major, which Erdoğan's government tried to falsify, he said that the Electoral Commission is dumb) so he can't start for the President.

As for "the works" being BS I mean lots of the public investments are used by Erdoğan to show off how wonderful is Turkey under his rule. Like some new lines of the underground in Istanbul are held under "ministry of something" with TVs in the subway cars pumping non-stop "success propaganda".

Thank you Jan for sharing your interesting Istanbul photos. I spent a day wandering about hitting the tourist spots, I guess it was June 1964. I was shooting a Petriflex V then. I was guided by an off-duty hotel clerk who would watch over my shoulder as I made notations to see that I was spelling the names of the places correctly. Surely, as Turkish spelling is easy and I had just spent the previous 18 months near Izmir. Then, after arriving back in the US I watched the new movie "Topkapi" with Melina Mercouri and Peter Ustinov... reminding me of some of what I had seen.

Thank you Jan for sharing your interesting Istanbul photos. I spent a day wandering about hitting the tourist spots, I guess it was June 1964. I was shooting a Petriflex V then. I was guided by an off-duty hotel clerk who would watch over my shoulder as I made notations to see that I was spelling the names of the places correctly. Surely, as Turkish spelling is easy and I had just spent the previous 18 months near Izmir. Then, after arriving back in the US I watched the new movie "Topkapi" with Melina Mercouri and Peter Ustinov... reminding me of some of what I had seen.

So a year after the release of From Russia with Love you must have seen a true Orient back there. Thank you Doug for sharing those memories.

Back